Menu

Has anyone used a rock tumbler?

I did some research a few months ago as my dd10 asked for a rock tumbler for her birthday. I narrowed my choices down to two - the one you have linked and the one linked below.

http://www.amazon.com/Model-T-Kit-Rock-Tumbler/dp/B000066CMM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1273501189&sr=8-4

I decided to go with the Model T (simply because of the price and the fact that I have never had any issue ordering from Amazon - including purchases from dealers using Amazon as a store front.)

We have been very happy with it so far. But the one you linked is often recommended as well. :)

Our kids loved it, too! I'm sure your son would, too. It is LOUD though (at least ours was). The silver lining to our chest freezer breaking was that we could put the rock tumbler in there, and it would muffle the sound. Definitely put it in a garage, basement or shed... or in ds's closet under a quilt. :)

One word of advice, its noisy. We have one and I make DH keep it in the basement. He used to keep it upstairs and I could hear the thing tumbling all night long. So, you will want to find somewhere to keep it that is away from the bedrooms or study areas when it is running.

Faith

I'm looking for a b'day present for a kid who loves geology. I was wondering about this Lortone tumbler

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/deluxe-rock-tumbler-kit/p/RM-TUMBKIT/

I'm completely unfamiliar with these -- do you think it would be nice for a 10 yr old who loves mechanical things, as well as rocks?

That's the one we have. It will be a great gift.

Thanks for all the replies -- I'll keep checking the thread too in case there are more.

perry - I am glad to hear that you have the one I was looking at & that you like it!

melissa -- the one you recommended has more positive reviews than the first one I saw... and I have Amazon prime. I'll call Home Science Tools and ask why they feature the Lortone.

Thanks again!