Menu

Oh, what sweet books!

mommy4ever

Tonight, dd6 and I read the first Boxcar Kids book! They are so sweet! (DD read some to me!!). She loved it. Of course, when I went to reserve more at the library.... the my account feature is still down, so I can't log in!!:tongue_smilie:

Oh well, tomorrow is another day. We'll try again.

Ds (6) read one, and I'm going to have him read the whole series. He loves mysteries, so they're perfect for him. I like it too, though I admit I only glanced at it and haven't read one (yet).

We've read the first 19 (all by the original author) and my dd has loved everyone! They are great beginning chapter books for your reader.

We did this too! Don't bother with the later ones by other writers that are "Created by Gertrude Warner." My ds's thought they were lame because the kids don't age--they go back to being young.

Cinder

DS just finished the first book and we are starting on the second one this morning. They really are sweet and innocent.

For our summer reading, it will be The Boxcar Children series and finishing the Magic Tree House series. I CANNOT pull him away from Jack and Annie even though the books are so easy for him to read. I will say, though, he is learning a lot about a bunch of different things!

Oh and as an aside, DH loves the Magic Tree House series because of Morgan le Fay. He is a huge King Arthur fan and is slowly getting DS interested. Always nice when we can find a connection that gets DH involved.:001_smile:

We love them too! My ds got so excited that Benny is 6yo in the 2nd book. 5yos are babies, ya know :tongue_smilie:.

We just took a break from Boxcar Children sequels to read the My Father's Dragon trilogy. They are great too! The only downside is that there are only 3 of them.

We did this too! Don't bother with the later ones by other writers that are "Created by Gertrude Warner." My ds's thought they were lame because the kids don't age--they go back to being young.

Cinder

Thanks for this info. I figure that by the time we got past the 19 or so she wrote, my ds could read more on his own if he's inclined.