Menu

I need Shakespeare resources

My niece is studying Romeo and Juliet. The teacher is trying to cover it in the last two weeks of school. My niece is feeling frustrated, because she isn't really understanding it. The teacher gives them a packet that they need to complete each day, and they work on it in class AS they read it out loud.:confused:

Does anyone have any good resources I could recommend to her? Books for younger children that tell the story more simply, perhaps? Guides that explain some of the passages? Websites that might give additional help?

She'll get a decent grade by filling out the paperwork, so I'm just looking for something that will help her understand what she is reading and give her "the flavor" of Shakespeare.

I'm not sure what age she is, but if she is jr high/high school, Cliff's Notes publishes a wonderful text plus guide for each play with amazing notes and full explanations of each scene. They are called "Cliff's Complete" and they're great. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Juliet-Cliffs-Complete-William-Shakespeare/dp/0764585746/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273277788&sr=1-1

If she's a bit younger, maybe Garfield's "Shakespeare Stories"-this is just a simple retelling of a number of the plays.

HTH

For a younger version she should check out the library. Charles and Mary Lamb and Leon Garfield both have retellings geared for a younger audience.

Also check out No Fear Shakespeare website. They have the Shakespeare version and the modern day translation presented side by side.

Lastly, my kids loved Shakespeare: Animated Tales DVD available at Netflix.

Just to help your niece keep a good attitude and some semblance of humor:

ROMEOW & DROOLIET by Nina Laden

http://www.chroniclebooks.com/pdfs/RomeowDrooliet.pdf

I send it to all 3rd - 5th graders as a birthday present.....when the kids, dh and I were celebrating Shakespeare's birthday a couple of weeks ago, dh and were talking to them about Romeo and Juliet. They were SO excited to share what they know b/c they had read ROMEOW & DROOLIET. The link is to a study guide - best wishes to your niece.

Thanks everyone. I'm sending her several of these links like the No Fear Shakespeare. The ones that are too young for her I'm saving for my own kids. I bought the PinkMonkey.com study guide and the Lamb book to send her. I'll also recommend West Side Story. Romeow and Drooliet looks fun and my kids were watching the youtube video earlier.

Thanks for your good wishes, MariannNova. I'm sure she'll be fine; it doesn't sound as if the teacher cares if she really learns anything. I, on the other hand, would love for her to get something out of it.:tongue_smilie:

I didn't realize there is a No Fear Shakespeare website! I taught a Midsummer Night's Dream class at our co-op, many of the kids got No Fear Shakespeare books from the library, they also have many of the plays in graphic novel format. I have also recommended getting an illustrated children's book of the play they're studying. I think for someone who is new to Shakespeare it can be really helpful to have seen the play or gotten an overview of it using an adaptation of some kind, rather than diving right into the play itself. At least until they're comfortable with the language.