Menu

Question about SAT 2s and AP exams

Ds received a college brochure from a New York university which stated that they no longer required SAT 2s along with ACT/SAT scores which would make it easier for students to apply.

All along I thought SAT 2s were optional, but apparently there are some schools that require them (or so it seems).

But my question is about SAT 2s compared with concurrent college enrollment. If my ds is taking concurrent courses, would the transcript not be sufficient to show proficiency? Isn't that why students take SAT 2s?

Would it be advisable to have ds take a couple of SAT 2s just to be on the safe side? Would it be best to take the tests in subject areas he did at home rather than at the university?

And do the schools look at the AP Exam differently than the SAT 2s?

Here is another "ask the college" situation.

My son applied to Boston University which required all applicants to submit either regular SAT scores and two SAT subjects or ACT with writing.

My son had a very good ACT score without writing and a Basic Composition class from the CC. This would not work for BU. They have many applicants and want standardization.

Ask early so that you can plan your testing.

Jane

All along I thought SAT 2s were optional, but apparently there are some schools that require them (or so it seems).

That is correct. Some colleges require two or three. I've heard of one college that requires five.

But my question is about SAT 2s compared with concurrent college enrollment. If my ds is taking concurrent courses, would the transcript not be sufficient to show proficiency?

One would think so. However, some colleges have different ideas. I believe it is because standardized tests are standardized, college courses are not.

Would it be advisable to have ds take a couple of SAT 2s just to be on the safe side? Would it be best to take the tests in subject areas he did at home rather than at the university?

And do the schools look at the AP Exam differently than the SAT 2s?

My daughter took SAT subject tests in Latin, Math Level II, and US History. She took the Latin and US History tests after taking AP classes and those AP tests. She took the Math Level II test after taking College Algebra and Trigonometry classes at the local community college. She took additional AP exams and additional community college classes besides those I mentioned above.

While some colleges require SAT subject tests, I'm not aware of any that require AP test results. However, solid AP test scores do show a level of commitment to studies that colleges do like to see.

Here is another "ask the college" situation. ...

Ask early so that you can plan your testing.

I agree with both of these statements!

Regards,

Kareni

Check with the college. Some colleges want ALL kids to have taken some SAT2's to facilitate apples-to-apples comparisons. If some kids have taken the SAT2 in a given subject, but some have only taken the AP and some have only done community college work, an apples-to-apples comparison is impossible.

My older kids each took five SAT2's along with SAT's and many AP's -- because they were interested in applying to colleges that required three and "suggested" more might be advisable for homeschoolers.

My next one is only interested in colleges that require the SAT2 in math and a science, so he will only take three. Different kid, different college interests, different educational path.

My oldest is a natural test taker but he didn't want to do any more standardized tests than absolutely necessary. He chose to apply to colleges that didn't require them. My dd1 may very well end up taking some but we haven't figured that out yet. Some colleges she may be interested in do want them. My dd2 will definitely take some. SHe is my only mathy/science kid so she will end up taking some of those. AS to the AP- ds took none, dd1 has taken one and whether she takes more depends on whether the college will accept them but I suspect she will take two more at least. DD3 will probably take them in sciences and calc.