Menu

Reviews of "Meaningful Composition" for writing instruction?

Greta

I posted yesterday looking for a program to teach writing in a more structured and formal way than the very free-form approach I've been using. Stacy in NJ gave me some good leads, but while I was checking those out, I ran across Meaningful Composition. It looks like a fantastic program from the samples, just what I had in mind. But it's always nice to hear from people who have actually used it. Can anyone tell me about this program?

Thanks so much!

There are reviews on here if you search them. I read them last night as well! All were +. I was so impressed by what I read and the what I saw on their website I've opted to use CQLA for my 2nd grader and Meaninful Composition for my 4th grader next year.

ETA- search on homeschoolreviews.com as well. The reviews weren't listed on the site but within the context of the forums of homeschoolreviews.

There are reviews on here if you search them.

Oh, I searched but didn't find much. I guess I wasn't thorough enough. I'll try again!

I read them last night as well! All were +. I was so impressed by what I read and the what I saw on their website I've opted to use CQLA for my 2nd grader and Meaninful Composition for my 4th grader next year.

ETA- search on homeschoolreviews.com as well. The reviews weren't listed on the site but within the context of the forums of homeschoolreviews.

Great, I'll check there as well. Thank you!

I used it this year with my two dd. The best way to describe it would be IEW in a workbook. It takes you step by step to making a key word outline. I used book 4+. I am going to continue with it this next school year.

It's great to hear that you liked it well enough to continue with it. I love the workbook format -- it looks like she'll be able to do much of this work independently, and that is really a clear step-by-step format. That's what we need right now!

We have used 4+ and 4 this year with my previously very reluctant writer. She is 11 and has enjoyed it and it held her hands and gave her the confidence to explore writing further.

My 13 yr old DS finds it tedious and does a few pages daily. He is using 6 and is an avid writer. However it may just be that he is wrongly placed in the series since he had taken other writing classes like writeshop essay and ACT/SAT classes prior to starting this.

We have used 4+ and 4 this year with my previously very reluctant writer. She is 11 and has enjoyed it and it held her hands and gave her the confidence to explore writing further.

My 13 yr old DS finds it tedious and does a few pages daily. He is using 6 and is an avid writer. However it may just be that he is wrongly placed in the series since he had taken other writing classes like writeshop essay and ACT/SAT classes prior to starting this.

Thanks for sharing this! I would put my daughter much more in the "reluctant writer" camp - she doesn't have the kind of experience that your 13 yo ds does - so I'm optimistic it will be a good fit for her.

I posted yesterday looking for a program to teach writing in a more structured and formal way than the very free-form approach I've been using. Stacy in NJ gave me some good leads, but while I was checking those out, I ran across Meaningful Composition. It looks like a fantastic program from the samples, just what I had in mind. But it's always nice to hear from people who have actually used it. Can anyone tell me about this program?

Thanks so much!

There are reviews of various levels on this page:

http://www.thehomeschoolmagazine.com/Homeschool_Reviews/language_arts_products.php

This is my most favorite curriculum find! We love it and it has become my oldest's favorite subject. He was a great writer before, but now is even better and LOVES it. My middle is reluctant and not very good, but now is doing really, really well and is enjoying it a lot more.

MC is very much like IEW, but, I think, easier to implement, written to the student, cheaper and yes, workbook format! We just love it!

This is my most favorite curriculum find! We love it and it has become my oldest's favorite subject. He was a great writer before, but now is even better and LOVES it. My middle is reluctant and not very good, but now is doing really, really well and is enjoying it a lot more.

MC is very much like IEW, but, I think, easier to implement, written to the student, cheaper and yes, workbook format! We just love it!

Wow, what a great endorsement! Thanks so much. Your enthusiasm is contagious. :D

MC is my favorite curriculum find so far. Dd9 is almost done with 4+ and will be moving on to book 4 soon.

I searched high and low for a decent writing program. I purchased Writing Strands 3 because it was recommended in TWTM. Within 5 minutes of it arriving in my house I knew it would not work. So I began my search. IEW seemed too expensive, too complicated, and just not appealing. Dd was too old for WWE. I loved the idea of CW, but it seems to me like it is just a long, expensive, fancy way of copying stuff. We already do copywork. I looked at others, but nothing jumped out at me. Then, hidden behind all the flashy, gimmicky writing programs, I found MC.

Dd loves MC. I love MC. I do not feel confident in my ability to teach writing. MC holds both my hand and dd's hand. It has taken us step-by-step through the writing process. In book 4+, you start out identifying nouns in a sentence and end up writing an essay. And it never seems tedious or overwhelming. Everything is given in bite-sized pieces.

I've looked at the scope and sequence for the other books. I have every confidence that using this program all the way will prepare my dc for college-level writing. I admit, I really wanted to use a progym-based writing program, if only to consider myself more "authentically classical," but I do not see myself giving up MC any time soon.

And for the record, I am in no way affiliated with MC, CQLA, or Training for Triumph. I am just really, really happy I found this program.

MC is my favorite curriculum find so far. Dd9 is almost done with 4+ and will be moving on to book 4 soon.

I searched high and low for a decent writing program. I purchased Writing Strands 3 because it was recommended in TWTM. Within 5 minutes of it arriving in my house I knew it would not work. So I began my search. IEW seemed too expensive, too complicated, and just not appealing. Dd was too old for WWE. I loved the idea of CW, but it seems to me like it is just a long, expensive, fancy way of copying stuff. We already do copywork. I looked at others, but nothing jumped out at me. Then, hidden behind all the flashy, gimmicky writing programs, I found MC.

Dd loves MC. I love MC. I do not feel confident in my ability to teach writing. MC holds both my hand and dd's hand. It has taken us step-by-step through the writing process. In book 4+, you start out identifying nouns in a sentence and end up writing an essay. And it never seems tedious or overwhelming. Everything is given in bite-sized pieces.

I've looked at the scope and sequence for the other books. I have every confidence that using this program all the way will prepare my dc for college-level writing. I admit, I really wanted to use a progym-based writing program, if only to consider myself more "authentically classical," but I do not see myself giving up MC any time soon.

And for the record, I am in no way affiliated with MC, CQLA, or Training for Triumph. I am just really, really happy I found this program.

Wendi, thanks so much for this review! I'm completely sold on this program now! This sounds so much like me ("I loved the idea of CW, but it seems to me like it is just a long, expensive, fancy way of copying stuff.") and like what I'm looking for (I'm not confident about teaching writing either, and I want something that will walk us through it step by step without becoming too tedious.

I'm so excited about this. Thank you, everyone, again!

• 1 month later...

I was all set to get Writing Strands 3 for next year (my daughter will be in 4th grade), but then you guys introduced me to Meaningful Composition. It looks excellent, and exactly what I'm looking for in a writing program for my kids.

Two problems. One, it is much more expensive than Writing Strands, and isn't sold anywhere but their website (or used, if you're lucky to find what you need). I'm not sure I can swing $64/year for just the writing portion of Language Arts!

Second problem, is the religious content. We teach secularly, and prefer to keep it that way. One or two mentions of religious aspects are fine, we can just ignore them. But if it is worked into each lesson, that's a problem. How integrated is religion into the lessons? Is it minimal enough that we can just change the few religious lessons to be secular?

Thanks in advance.

I was all set to get Writing Strands 3 for next year (my daughter will be in 4th grade), but then you guys introduced me to Meaningful Composition. It looks excellent, and exactly what I'm looking for in a writing program for my kids.

Two problems. One, it is much more expensive than Writing Strands, and isn't sold anywhere but their website (or used, if you're lucky to find what you need). I'm not sure I can swing $64/year for just the writing portion of Language Arts!

Second problem, is the religious content. We teach secularly, and prefer to keep it that way. One or two mentions of religious aspects are fine, we can just ignore them. But if it is worked into each lesson, that's a problem. How integrated is religion into the lessons? Is it minimal enough that we can just change the few religious lessons to be secular?

Thanks in advance.

I'm curious about this as well because I had heard lots of great stuff about it, but somewhere or other I read it is 'very' christian in content. I want to teach a 10th grade boy to write well this year (detoxing from public school), and would love something that he could do without a lot from me (I'll be schooling my two sons as well).

Guest aquiverfull

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I'm not sure about the religious content, because I have never used MC. I will be using the full program from them, CQLA this coming fall. I did want to mention, however, that it is sold at Rainbow Resource as well.

I wrote them to ask about turning it into a secular program, and here is the reply I received by email. I am not completely discouraged, as the program still impresses the heck out of me. Also because we'll do a separate grammar program. But here it is for everyone else:

MC I would be the most difficult of all of the books to make "secular"

simply because it has six weeks of grammar in the beginning--and all of the

sentences they practice with are Bible verses and concepts.

That being said, many of the other books could easily be utilized with

secular themes. For instance, the 4 II book has essays and reports about

animals, trees, describing rooms, etc. Sometimes the "Christian" part is

more of an application, such as write a closing paragraph describing a Bible

verse that tells us why we should not be like the sloth (after three

paragraphs about the sloth).

I do not recommend 4 I for your purposes, but I think the other books could

be adjust easily. Another example is the Research Reports (Book 9 I). It has

five reports--something that is sowed, an animal created on Day Six of

creation, etc. However, the reports' contents are just about the animal or

the agricultural product.

Hope this helps. I recommend looking at the three week samples for each

level to determine if this can be done to your specifications.