Menu

Emergency!! I need suggestions for human body!

Lenora in MD

My co-op starts up again this Friday, and the teacher for our human body class just told me the curriculum she was thinking of using (lyrical life science) would not work for us and that she needs curriculum ideas. The class is 4-6th graders, with one 8th grader thrown in the mix. We have an hour every Friday for class. We would prefer to not have much homework. We like hands on activities. We are a Charlotte Mason co-op. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you!

Start with the JVC book on the Human Body, this is mostly experiments with some explanation and probably available at your library. Then choose books from the library that go more in depth or get the Usborne Internet-Linked Complete Book of the Human Body and read the corresponding section. You could have the children do a summary(narration) sheet afterwards. For example, one of her experiments is make a "lung" out of a 2 liter bottle. You could do this and then read more about the respiratory system. Maybe do another activity see how you can control you rate of breathing, ie. exercise speeds it up, rest slows it down. Then finish it up by having the children write what they have learned. Is that what you are looking for??

I don't know if this will work for you or not. We have a book called "Blood and Guts - a working guide to your own insides" by Linda Allison. My son loves this book. It has a lot of hands on experiments and stuff to do.

here is a preview of it at CBD

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=0109492&kw=0109492&en=froogle&p=1013824#curr

My co-op starts up again this Friday, and the teacher for our human body class just told me the curriculum she was thinking of using (lyrical life science) would not work for us and that she needs curriculum ideas. The class is 4-6th graders, with one 8th grader thrown in the mix. We have an hour every Friday for class. We would prefer to not have much homework. We like hands on activities. We are a Charlotte Mason co-op. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you!

How about a unit study? You will find it here at Heart of the Matter

A lap book maybe?? At least its free...

The heart of the matter link has a ton of resources, ideas and information. Its a promising study!

HTH

JVC = Janice VanCleave

We like her books too.

Another book I'd recommend is The Body Book by Donald M. Silver and Patricia J. Wynne

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Book-Grades-3-6/dp/059049239X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207073667&sr=8-2

(You can look inside the book.)

You make all sorts of models, most of them with paper, that help you learn about the body. As it says on the book, "Easy-To-Make Hands-On Models That Teach."

I don't know how many kids you have or how much parents are willing to spend on curriculum but the Science in a Nutshell kits on the human body are *really* good.

Science in Nutshell Life Science Kits

We've used:

A Peek Inside You

Body Basics

Smell, Taste, Touch

They have a "cluster" kit that contains several kits worth of activities and blackline masters of the activity books for around $200: Human Body Cluster it would be *well* worth it if you had 20 kids whose parents were willing to chip in $20 each.