Menu

SOTW 1 and 1st grader

I need some advice on the Comp. Questions and the AG. Do you read the selection to them and then ask the questions, do the narration and have them do the activity? I am afraid it might be too much for her, but I also don't want to underestimate her? We just started 1st grade, so any good advice? :confused:

Last year we did SOTW 1. My ds was technically in K and my dd in 2nd grade. First, I'd read the story and then ask the questions. Sometimes, the story is broken into different segments. I found that if I read all of the segments and then tried to have them answer the questions, they'd forget the first segment. So, I just read one segment and ask the questions then read the second segement and ask the questions. It was much easier for both of them to remember if I did the segments seperately. Also, I had them do the coloring page while I read the story. They seemed to be able to pay better attention if they were coloring vs. just trying to sit still and listen.

Both kids could not do the narration. They would want to recount the entire story word for word which, was time-consuming and impossible for them to write out everything they were re-telling. I took the liberty of writing out the narration as listed in the activity book for them to do as copy work after they finished their coloring page. I would write the shorter sentences for my younger one and the longer sentences for my older one. I am planning to work with both of them more over the summer to teach them the art of summarizing a story so that next fall they will be able to do the narration on their own but, this year wasn't the year for it. I felt it was better for them to copy the practice of narration and learn the correct way of doing it rather than trying to stumble through the whole year with all of us being frustrated by it. They'll both be older this year and wiser, so to speak so hopefully, it will go smoother than last year.

When we finished with reading the story and answering the questions, the kids would stop their coloring or copy work and we'd do the map work then they could go back to their coloring/copy work when the map work was complete and finish at their own pace.

We did a few of the activities early in the year but, on a separate day from the day we read the lesson. It was too much for us to do in one day. The activities need more time so we'd do them on a day when we had more freedom in our schedule. Eventually, we abandonded the art activities altogether but, I'm planning to repeat SOTW I when my dd is in 5th grade and have her read the text herself. Then I'm going to get the test booklet and test her on what she's read. Maybe we'll have more time to incorporate the art activities then. That's the current plan but, who knows maybe I'll change my mind between now and then! :)

We are just finishing up SOTW 1 with a 1st grader and we have not found it to be too much. Generally each chapter is broken into sections--usually 2-3 pages of text tops. We read one section each day we do history (M,W,F) The map usually corresponds best with one specific section of the chapter and the picture can be done a different day. So, for us it looks like this: Read the section. Ds gives a narration, then I ask any of the questions that he hasn't already covered in the narration. This takes 15 min give or take. Then on one day we do the picture, on another day we do the map and on the third day we do an activity or read additional books. The mapwork takes 5 minutes or less. Same with the coloring page, unless he decides to go all out.

We've actually had days where, at ds's request we have done the map, coloring page, reading/narration/questions and additional reading, and even then it rarely goes beyond 35 minutes.

You may need to set your own priorities, do those, then see if she's up for more. If you feel like the questions plus the narration is too much, then just do the narration. Sometimes by the end of the questions my 1st graders were done. But sometimes the questions helped them to remember details and organize their narrations better. It often depends on the content of the section.

I agree with the others. Just do a section at a time. If they clamor for more, you can keep going. If they're lying on the floor crying, maybe it's time to do something else.

Try to scope out the supplementary reading and activities ahead of time, like maybe a week or two. That way if you need to gather supplies or request something from the library you'll have time. But don't feel like you need to do it all. I usually try to get a whole bunch of the supplemental books, but sometimes we read then all and sometimes we only do one or two...or none. :S

And DS truly detested coloring. I tried making him color pages at first, but eventually just had him look at them and add them to his notebook uncolored. DD, on the other hand, loves to color and draw pictures.

Blessings!

We started SOTW1 this past fall and are going slowly because we like to really get into the history. My daughter is K so we have plenty of time to expand on the lessons, which was part of my reasoning on starting it early. It isn't too much for her and she can grasp it all and the questions, narration and AG aren't an issue - so I think you will be ok because it was written and designed for the 1st grader. We do all the first 6 steps below in one day (2 for longer chapters) and then have fun expanding on it the rest of the week or longer.

Here is what we do:

1. Read the chapter or sometimes just segments if it is a large chapter
  2. Question & Answer
  3. Narration for each segment - she does about 2 sentences
  4. Worksheets, maps in the activity guide
  5. SOTW1 Audio - she listens to it on her own before the test for review
  6. Test

THEN the expansion begins:

1. We basically check out the whole shelf at the library on the time period or topic that she wants to go further in depth with. We go through the books, reading and sometimes just looking at pictures, etc.
  2. Online sources - I have a folder for each chapter that is full of links of things to do online pertaining to that time period; games, printable worksheets, crafts
  3. Video - she watches videos from the library or online
  4. Parties - she hosts parties for other homeschool friends on that time period. For example, she had an Ancient Egypt party - I made her an Egyptian costume and did her hair, etc. We served foods that would have been during that time and then they did crafts - pyramids, hieroglyphic carvings

We have time on our side because we started early and I have to say she has retained so much from adding the extras. She loves history and always looks forward to her next party. We don't do parties for every chapter, just the big ones - Egypt, China, Africa, etc.

Even if you didn't have much time, you can still make it fun and more hands on and real life! That is how my daughter learns best right now. History is big for us because I was a history buff in school and still love it! I never knew it would be so much fun teaching it! I think the Activity Guide is an invaluable resource - a must!

We did one chapter a week, mostly like this:

Mon: read section 1

Tue: review q's for section 1 & extra resource (library book or something)

Wed: read section 2

Thu: review q's for section 2 & mapwork

Some chapters have more than 2 sections, so I'd read section 2 on Tue, review that & read section 3 on Wed. Some maps apply more to one section, so we'd do it that day. I completely ignored narrations for first and second grades. :blush: Coloring pages only happened occasionally. From the other activities/games/crafts, I tried to do about 2 per week, matched to the section where they most apply and our schedule for the day. The recipes we tried were GREAT - if you can manage to fit one in anytime during that week, do it, even if the kids aren't helping you make it (though all the better if they are).

We started SOTW 1 in January. We are slowly getting through it. I read to DS, then we review the questions and I write his narration. On day 2, we do the map and coloring page. We got a little sidetracked as DS fell in love with Egypt. Since DH and I have actually been to Egypt, I was able to really let him go in-depth.

We are hoping to finish SOTW 1 over the summer while we do 'light' schooling so that we can start SOTW 2 in August.

I will say, when I was at the GHEA conference on Friday and buying next year's curriculum, DS was uber-excited to see SOTW 2 in my check out basket. He had no idea that it kept going!

Okay, so I tried reading her 1 section of the Intro. and then asked her the questions. There were only 2 questions. She couldn't answer the first question even though I read her just that part that had the answer like 5X. Oh, and the whole time I was reading (I don't drone either, I pitch my voice differently and read excitedly) she was playing with a bracelet, counting stickers on a page, humming, and making silly faces at her sister. I would stop, call her attention and see it wander again. Is she just too immature for it? She is 5 1/2 and really bright, but just can't sit still for long with ANY reading. Should I wait until later or try again tomorrow?

How does she do with chapter books as read-alouds? If she can't handle other chapter books, I'd definitely put SOTW on the shelf for a while.

Some of my favorites for easing into longer read alouds include James Herriot's Treasury, the Winnie the Pooh stories, and the My Father's Dragon trilogy.

We read the passage, discuss it as we read through it, discuss it when it's over. She narrates it to me - I say, "Tell me what we read in 2-3 sentences." And then I go back and do the same thing, covering anything she might have missed that is important. Then we go over the questions.

DD is in K, btw. She loves SOTW too. I hope your DD loves it as much!

I need some advice on the Comp. Questions and the AG. Do you read the selection to them and then ask the questions, do the narration and have them do the activity? I am afraid it might be too much for her, but I also don't want to underestimate her? We just started 1st grade, so any good advice? :confused:

I've done SOTW 1 twice now with my 1st two boys and will be doing it again next year with a 1st, 3rd, and 5th grader.

I've found that my boys are not really into the coloring pages and we get bogged down with the activities. So I've learned through trial and error that with us less is more.

On Mon: I have them read-aloud a section & begin coloring the map

We do a quick tell me about what you read, not a narration.

Later in the day we do the narration... I sit at the computer typing as they tell their dad what they learned in their history lesson :lol: so sneeky

He asks the questions (that he read earlier) to prompt them if they get stumped.

On Wed: They read the second section & library books and repeat our sneeky narrations.

On Thur: They read the last section & library books again our sneeky narrations come into play.

On Fri: They listen to the Audio CD of the chapter they draw a picture to go with each of their narrations while they listen. Finally we do the pre-selected activity (just one per chapter).

How does she do with chapter books as read-alouds? If she can't handle other chapter books, I'd definitely put SOTW on the shelf for a while.

Some of my favorites for easing into longer read alouds include James Herriot's Treasury, the Winnie the Pooh stories, and the My Father's Dragon trilogy.

Depends on the chapter book. I have read 101 Dalmations by Dodie Smith aloud and she's fall asleep like halfway thru most times. I've also read the Lemonade Trick all in one night recently when they all had the flu and she stayed awake for the whole bit. I guess it depends on the subject because sometimes when I read the selections for dd8 from the WWE3, she wants to sit in and listen.

I do the reading and discussion questions by section. For each chapter I aim to do one narration (focusing on one section - done after the discussion questions). Then I choose a selection from a different section for copywork.

They do the coloring page while I read and thhttp://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/images/editor/smilie.gife mapwork when the chapter is done.

We don't always get to an activity - but i do try to get as many of the literature selections from the library as possible.

May I encourage you to really make an effort to do the narration? Even if the child can only do one sentence, or even if you might have to do alot of prompting??? This is a very important skill and you will see the benefits later if you can help your child through it now!

Okay, so I tried reading her 1 section of the Intro. and then asked her the questions. There were only 2 questions. She couldn't answer the first question even though I read her just that part that had the answer like 5X. Oh, and the whole time I was reading (I don't drone either, I pitch my voice differently and read excitedly) she was playing with a bracelet, counting stickers on a page, humming, and making silly faces at her sister. I would stop, call her attention and see it wander again. Is she just too immature for it? She is 5 1/2 and really bright, but just can't sit still for long with ANY reading. Should I wait until later or try again tomorrow?

Well, it may be that she is just not ready yet. She has twelve years to get through history with you. It would be a shame to push her and quash her love of learning. But it might be that she hasn't learned how to listen. My kids have listened to me reading aloud and audio books since they were tiny. I'm sure this has helped their ability to concentrate on longer works without pictures. When I wanted to read something that I wasn't sure whether they'd appreciate immediately, I read while they were in the bathtub or eating lunch, or playing in the sandbox. By "wasn't sure whether they'd appreciate immediately" I mean things that were a little bit of a stretch for their age or unfamiliar, like "Charlott'e Web" when DS was 5 or "Just So Stories" when he was 4.

If you've been doing this already, it might be helpful to discuss the reading AS you read it. Even now, if I think something might not have registered, or we encounter unfamiliar phrases (or if they are goofing off) I will read a couple of sentences, then ask them a question about what I just read. This would be a good way to help a young child learn how to listen.

Just a couple of thoughts. Good luck in your journey!

Originally Posted by martinswife viewpost.gif

My dd is a little older than yours, but she is young for her age. What time of day did you do the reading? Was it after doing other school work? I find that if I wait until after we do other subjects, she's restless and can't really focus. She did exactly what you described your daughter doing. However, if that is one of the first things we do in the day, she's focused and listens much better. I find I need to be done school by about 11:30 and after that we do more fun things cause she is done for the day for more focused activities. Try changing when you are trying to work on it. Perhaps history needs to be the first activity of the day, so you can get her best focus. What ever my main focus of the day will be, we do it first. Of course, AAS can happen anytime of day and she'll focus..lol. But she does still get distracted, just gently steer her back. If different times don't work, set it aside for the fall. No harm in waiting a couple more months.