Menu

If you have successfully given up soda...

Made it through day one. But I am feeling REALLY weak about day two. So far I haven't caved...but I am close!!

I had to make myself open a soda pour eight ounces or so into a glass and then...pour the rest down the drain so I wouldn't drink it. That way I had SOME soda, but not a whole bottle or can full. And buy a can rather than a bottle, that way if you cheat you only consume 12 oz.

Wishing you a good day two (day two is always the hardest) and then a terrific day three!

I had to make myself open a soda pour eight ounces or so into a glass and then...pour the rest down the drain so I wouldn't drink it. That way I had SOME soda, but not a whole bottle or can full. And buy a can rather than a bottle, that way if you cheat you only consume 12 oz.

Wishing you a good day two (day two is always the hardest) and then a terrific day three!

Really? I'd thought 2 would be easier? Why harder? And three will be better?

Made it through day one. But I am feeling REALLY weak about day two. So far I haven't caved...but I am close!!

I made it too. Evening was the worst--my mouth had that dehydrated feeling and I was running errands so I was in and out of the hot van. I probably would have caved and made a pit stop had it not been for the fact that I had a case of water bottles in the back.

I have found that the thing I really want most is that zing I get from the carbonation.

I buy seltzer water by the 12-pack at my grocery store (their store brand) and mix it with orange juice. I tried it half and half at first, but I have cut back on the amount of juice I add lately due to calorie content. In the summer this is the most refreshing drink for me hands down! I have also mixed the seltzer water (or club soda) with pineapple juice, grape juice, and other 100% juices. I love it and it has kept from from ever having a craving for any kind of soda, diet or regular, ever again.

So I guess in the respect of drinking "soda", no I haven't stopped---I just don't drink any of those that contain all that bad stuff I don't want or need. I feel I have come up with a healthy replacement, but I still get to enjoy the carbonation too. Hope this helps.

At the peak of my addiction, I drank about 12 diet sodas a day, then I switched to regular, thinking like you. That cut me to about 4 a day. This was about 12 years ago. When I quit, I drank iced peppermint tea because it gives you a slight pick-me-up without the caffeine. I did that for about a week or two and have been soda free since, drinking only water. I do enjoy the Kombucha that another poster suggested, but it is expensive, so that is more of an occasional treat.

I believe that soda really is an addiction, granted not as powerful as other things. There are times when I get a "trigger" and I can have the mental experience of drinking a great big McDonald's soda with one of their nice, fat straws and I miss it. But, I made the decision that I am not a person that drinks sodas, so there you have it.

Good Luck!

When the issue is that I want a grab n go cold drink, particularly if we're on our way somewhere and I've stopped for gas, I go for vitamin water or one of those SoBe lifewaters...both offer versions made with crystalline sucrose (in lesser amounts than soda) or stevia. EmergenC is fizzy, and I usually have some in the house, so that satisfies an odd craving now and then. I ice coffee. And there are plenty of natural sodas; although they're more expensive, I've found that to be a plus. It helps you keep your intake low. I have no problem giving any of those to the kids; I think of them as a soda/Kool Aid compromise.