Menu

I don't get it

We live on a farm. A small, self funded rescue farm. I see an animal in need, I bring it home. Within reason. We have 37 animals. Our farm produces 150+ of manure PER DAY. There's a LOT of crap going on here. :D So why do you think it is that when we are away and any one of my kids sees an animal of ANY kind leave a "deposit" they absolutely crack up hysterically - like it's something they've never seen before. :001_huh: I don't get it!

I think this may be the most important post I've ever entered.

:lol:

We live on a farm. A small, self funded rescue farm. I see an animal in need, I bring it home. Within reason. We have 37 animals. Our farm produces 150+ of manure PER DAY. There's a LOT of crap going on here. :D So why do you think it is that when we are away and any one of my kids sees an animal of ANY kind leave a "deposit" they absolutely crack up hysterically - like it's something they've never seen before. :001_huh: I don't get it!

I think this may be the most important post I've ever entered.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, b/c it looks funny to them when it happens out of 'their' context? :confused: I laughed just reading your post.:lol:

150 pounds -- do you weigh it? :D

That's a pile the size of a good-sized person every day.

This is the #1 reason DH and the kids don't want farm animals.

Yes I weight it. Pound for pound. ;)

I'm told a horse produces 50 pounds of manure per day, so my pony must produce about half that. There's 75 pounds right there. Then I assume my four llamas produce about another 50 because I have four of them, and the four llamas eat as much as one horse. And they go A LOT. Then there's the 350 pound, or so, pigs, and all my potbellies. I don't even count the 3 dogs. 3 cats, 5 ducks, 5 doves, 2 cockatiels, 2 mice, 2 guinea pigs or 3 ferrets. I think 150 is a safe bet. :D Come on now - ADMIT YOU'RE JEALOUS!!!

I'm told a horse produces 50 pounds of manure per day, so my pony must produce about half that. There's 75 pounds right there. Then I assume my four llamas produce about another 50 because I have four of them, and the four llamas eat as much as one horse. And they go A LOT. Then there's the 350 pound, or so, pigs, and all my potbellies. I don't even count the 3 dogs. 3 cats, 5 ducks, 5 doves, 2 cockatiels, 2 mice, 2 guinea pigs or 3 ferrets. I think 150 is a safe bet. :D Come on now - ADMIT YOU'RE JEALOUS!!!

There's a math lesson in there for sure. Maybe this should be on the curriculum board?:confused::lol:

There's a math lesson in there for sure. Maybe this should be on the curriculum board?:confused::lol:

:smilielol5:

Please be more kind. I am approaching 50 (well, I'm almost 47 and if you round it up to the nearest 10.....) ;) and had 3 kids naturally. HUGE boys. And I need to go to the bathroom.

Need I say more? Maybe I can turn this into a science lesson. :lol:

I think 150 is a safe bet. :D Come on now - ADMIT YOU'RE JEALOUS!!!

I will, if you tell me what you do with (or where you keep) all this manure.

I mean, 150*365 = 54,750 lbs. per year!

That can't all be just ferilizer, can it? I wonder how many small planets that would make after a few years.

Oh my, I just recalled that my neighbor has over 100 dairy cows. I am kind of scared to do the math on that one.

Edited by RoughCollie

There is no way on earth I will ever understand it either.

When the duck got loose in the house, the one being beat up so we were bringing it inside at night, and there was DUCK POOP EVERYWHERE! My kids were cracking jokes and snorting while I attempted to organize the clean up!

Not funny in my book....its so hard to be female....I am certain I am just a completely different species than my sons and husband!

Faith

I will, if you tell me what you do with (or where you keep) all this manure.

I mean, 150*365 = 54,750 lbs. per year!

That can't all be just ferilizer, can it? I wonder how many small planets that would make after a few years.

Oh my, I just recalled that my neighbor has over 100 dairy cows. I am kind of scared to do the math on that one.

our neighbor has a truckload of composted cow manure delivered every year for his garden. You might want to take some of that manure off your neighbors hands!

We just took all the llama's manure out of the field and sprinkled it over our front lawn, which is probably 3/4 an acre. We'll take the rest for the back lawn, which will be torn up from all the trucks going in and out this summer for our addition. We also use llama's manure in all gardens.

Horse manure is also good but has weed seeds in it, so we don't use it as much. We rake out the field and just rake it all in. The stuff that's mucked out of stalls in the back of the barn and dh will rake that out into the woods.

I can't even begin to imagine what the food bill is like for your extended family! What a beautiful thing you're doing for those lucky animals. :)