Menu

A subject a day....is that something that is doable?

So, I am thinking about how to do something like a subject a day. It just seems that it would be easier to implement for me right now in the stage of life we are in. I don't know if that would work for high school, but we are 5th grade and down right now. I am considering using MFW ECC and I think it would still be doable with that because of the grid style of schedule. But, for now, I would like to see how it would work without a planned curriculum. Does that make sense?

Something like: math one day with workbooks, games, computer drills, flashmaster, math copywork, Mathtacular DVDs, etc. Science another day with experiments, science books, science DVDs, lab sheets, etc. A day for history, art and music, english/language arts. You get the idea.

What do you think, is that something that could work well?

Do you know of any websites that would provide further study on such an approach?

Thanks!

Are you familiar with the Latin-Centered Curriculum? In short, the schedule looks something like:

Math, Latin & Composition (or phonics for the younger ones) are done daily.

Everything else (Religion Studies, Geography, Lit, History, Science) are done weekly.

We must have been replying at the same time. :)

I'll just add to my previous post that LCC would give you more of what you're looking for, but still keep up the subjects like Math and Writing (are you doing Latin?) that need more consistent attention.

Heather,

I have heard of it, but not read the book. Is it similar to what I am describing?

Thanks!

According to LCC, you do your "core" subjects daily. These are usually math, composition, and latin, but if your priorities are different, you decide on your core subjects. Then the other subjects (science, history, etc) are done 1 day a week. You can get the book from Memoria Press and it is a great read even if you choose not to follow his suggestions strictly.

The author of the book used to post on here quite a bit but I haven't seen him posting lately.

Last year and part of this year my dd did that. It worked better for her for awhile. Now she's back to doing an almost-everything-every-day schedule. These were by her choice. However, she ALWAYS did math every day for the same reasons Tara mentioned.

Hi Terri,

I'm going to implement LCC this coming year. I had a good long talk with dh about our priorities. I didn't know I thought Latin and Greek would be important to me until I read LCC and it really resonated with me. I have been doing tons of thinking about this. We plan to do Classical Conversations this coming year so it will provide some spine I can format from.

Every day I will do bible, math, latin, and lang arts (mostly grammar and composition). My little guy is only K so he'll tag along with latin a little but mostly he will do phonics/reading and math. Then Mon-History, Tues-Science, Wed-Art/Music, Thurs-Literature, Fri-Spanish. Every day during lunch we will review their CC memory work for 20-30 minutes. And the history and science we do will come from what we are memorizing in CC. I will follow the LCC literature suggestions though.

I think what you are pondering might be doable but I do agree that certain subjects like math and maybe even grammar/phonics will have to be done every day. At least for my kids!

Could you plan that 1.5 hours out of every day (45 min each) were used for math and grammar/phonics and the rest of your time you will spend on one subject a day? Only you can know how you will manage combining everyone but it sounds like MFW does a good job of that. That's kinda the reason I am joining a CC. Gets my two on the same page sort of. (but CC would be prohibitively expensive for your gang).

I'm not sure you even need the LCC book. It's a bit philosophical in the discussion of the "why's" of certain literature and language choices. You are more doing this as a means of simplifying your life, and I think it's an intriguing idea!

I would not do math one day a week and expect the concepts to stick until the next week. I think math is something that needs daily practice and review, in one form or another.

:iagree:

I think if you did math and some form of LA every day, you could do the other subjects one day/wk. You could vary the format of the math to incorporate the kind of activities you mentioned, and do a different LA each day. For example:

MON

math workbook

spelling

history

TUES

math games

vocabulary

science

WED

math drill

grammar

art & music

etc....

That way you could cover the general subjects of math and LA every day, but still only be scheduling each "item" once/wk. If you figured an hour or so for the math & LA component, the rest of the day could be devoted to science or history or art or field trips/nature study or whatever.

Jackie

Everyday includes math, reading (classic), and an element or two of LA. Then, science 1-2 days/week and history 1-2 d/week.

I love this approach. Science may begin at 1pm, and not end until 9pm. I think these subjects need more than the cursory hour or so.

Good luck!:)

Another idea is to do your core subjects each day: math and language arts. Of course LCC would include Latin in the core subjects.

You could alternate history and science by month or season. History for 3 months, science for 3 months. I'm sure you get what I mean. That way you could dig deep in those subjects.

Wow, I really like this idea! This would help me to really focus on developing the other subjects. I tend to try to "get through" them because there are so many subjects to get to! But if we did history one day, we could really delve into it. Same with science....this sounds FUN!