Menu

Those who've used "Getting Started with Latin"

dalynnrmc

Has anyone here used "Getting Started with Latin"? Comments or suggestions on usage?

I've won this in a raffle and plan to use it as an easy intro for my 9yo before utilizing the Cambridge set that was given to us.

I've looked at the "lessons" and they seem to be a little more sparse (at least in the beginning) than I'd expect a full lesson to be. We only do Latin once weekly; should we do... say about 5 of these "lessons" for each weekly session? How many would you do?

Also, how did you implement the info? Just have the student write the Latin word and the English definition in a notebook?

Input and ideas welcome. :) Thanks!

Do you mean Minimus?

Yes, we love Minimus. I have a schedule for it at lulu but basically, I decided to stretch this for an entire year.

What we do is one day we will listen to the picture story and then talk about the words. The next day we go over the word list and practice the words. The next day may be a Roman Report, Grammar, Myth or a worksheet.

So basically I divided it into bite-sized pieces for my 2nd grader and she is really getting it.

I think that you could do Minimus a couple of different ways though. You could do it in 12 weeks (in which case I don't know that there would be a lot of retention). Basically, a lesson per week.

Or you could stretch a lesson out over two weeks with Monday being the day for the picture story and do the rest of the activities over the course of the week.

Or you can do a lesson per month.

It is a good program and lots of fun. It may look like it is tiny but the pages are packed with information. They don't put a lot of fluff in there only what the child needs to know to start picking up the grammar and vocabulary. Now the worksheets are in the the Teacher's Guide but I think they are worth having because they round out the program and give the child practice using the vocabulary and grammar. It is a bit expensive but they have a good resale value.

Good Luck.:001_smile:

I have Bill Linney's Getting Started With Latin book as well and was wondering the same thing! :D

I think it would make a very easy, quick, intro to Latin for the older student. I think the idea of using a notebook like you said would probably be best, and yes, 3-5 lessons (depending on the child) is what we'll probably do as well.

As short as the lessons are, I bet we could almost coin it Latin for CM'ers. :lol:

The lessons flesh out a bit after the first few.

The idea behind Getting Started With Latin is that only one word or concept is introduced. Then the there are some exercises containing the word or concept and then review (10 translations in all). It is an extremely gentle introduction to Latin and is designed to be used daily (or nearly daily). My son and I have found no need to make flashcards because the daily review reinforces everything. It takes my son about 15 minutes to finish a lesson.

We love it. As another poster said it does beef up a little as the program goes on and is meant to be used daily. However, we do as many lessons as we feel like on any given day. In the beginning it was more and as time progressed it was less.

I have never had Latin and I am learning along with my children. Both my 11 yr old and ,y 14 yr old are using it although at different paces. It is my absolute favorite beginning program. I simply don't think that you could make learning Latin any easier. And it is very reasonably priced. There is also an on-line audio component. It is an excellent place to start. You could even use it as a parent to get a little Latin behind you before tackling it with a child.

I can't tell you exactly how much it covers as I am only about half way through the program right now but you can find many reviews of it on Amazon. There are other people on here that have used it as well and hopefully they will also answer.

Thanks, all!! That's about what I'd figured, several at first and that they'd probably thicken up as we get into it more. We don't have a daily window, and really, these lessons are SUPER short. Like, this is what this word means. What else is there to do? LOL I love the idea of renaming it "Latin for CM-ers"!! That's hilarious!! :D

Anyway. I just wondered about implementing it and "what to DO" with each lesson.

You've all been helpful! Thanks so much!

Bumpety in case anyone else has any helpful tidbits of info for me. :)

my 11 yo is going to finish it this year, and we have both really enjoyed it and learned a lot. I have no latin background, and he is passing me up already.

As others have pointed out, it introduces one vocabulary word, part of a declension (don't know what that's called!) or new usage daily, then gives 10 sentences to translate. Each set of sentences contains drill on the new work and review. I haven't used the MP3s.

My son looks forward to latin almost more than any other subject! I am amazed. As far as how many lessons, yes they are extremely straightforward at the beginning, but quickly flesh out and begin introducing new material at a good pace. I'd guess 2-3 later lessons a week will be enough.

I am using "Getting Started ..." with my 4th grader this year and when we started the website only had the pronunciations down loadable. With that, we read the lesson ,or new word, then we would go through each exercise. DS would read the sentence in Latin, I would play the correct pronunciation, ds would interpret it and I would check it with the back of the book. Now, the website has lesson downloads that include some teaching and discussion for each lesson. So we listen to the teaching first and then ds will read and interpret each exercise and I then I will play Linney's (the author) coordinating explanation for each exercise.

We do Latin about 4 days / week

I have already ordered "The First Year of Latin" which is his follow up to this.