Menu

K12 Human Odyssey Questions

melissa123

I'm considering The Human Odyssey (Vol 2) for next year. Are there samples of the text available somewhere? (I couldn't find any on K12 - just the "on-line" text.)

I did find samples of the Student Book though, and am considering using this. For anyone who uses the Student Book - are there any "hands-on" projects/assignments? Or is the book just comprehensions questions and writing assignments?

Does anyone actually purchase the online option? Is it worth the cost?

Any other thoughts about this program would be great.

Thanks!

Melissa

My (formerly) history-hating daughter is using the online format of K12 Intermediate World History B, using Human Odyssey. It has turned out to be a very successful choice for her. The textbook is wonderful and interesting -- it's so rich in content that she likes to look through it in her spare time. The workbook questions and other activities are very nicely planned (though it's hard to navigate around within the workbook). There are few hands-on activities; you would need to sign up for Art History B to get those. However, there are a few activities like "draw a political cartoon of Napoleon from a positive standpoint and a negative standpoint" and "write a letter to Girolamo Savonarola explaining why the art and architecture of the Renaissance were so remarkable."

The online games help cement the information into the student's mind. They're not critical to the content of the course; the textbook and workbooks are the critical elements.

I would love to use the online format for Modern World History (20th century) next year; however, it's a 9th grade course and you have to sign up with the K12 tutoring service to do that. The whole year would cost about $800. I think I could probably put something together myself, especially since we already have the text and my daughter has already read it over and over.

Hope this helps.

I have all three volumes of K12HO, as well as the student and teacher guides for levels A and B. We have not signed up for the course - I like tweaking and coming up with additional reading myself (lots of historical fiction for example). I'll agree with the PP that the student/teacher books don't have a lot of hands-on, but I think the questions and writing assignments in there will give us a lot to work with.

The student/teacher books also refer to things you'd do online that I can't do with just the hard copies. They look very interesting too. I think if I weren't such a tweaker, or if I didn't have a third kid at a different level that I'm combining, it could well be worth it to sign up for the actual course - depending on how much it costs - I don't even know. :)

I think the $99 price was the online course for course A, is it not? No wait, perhaps the $99 was the book, the teacher book and the student book? I was intrigued by the online snipit I watched but went w/ only the textbook, teacher's guide and student book. I'll add in WTM-ish stuff w/ History Odyssey and see how it goes.

Does anyone actually purchase the online option? Is it worth the cost?

We currently use K12. If we continue my son will start the Human Odyssey next year. We use it as an independent so I know what you mean about the cost.

The online option is nice as a planning tool. It tells you what materials you will need and what you need to do for the lesson. It provides additional information (not every lesson) and an assessment for each lesson. It will also provide an online unit review and an online unit assessment.

It does help cement the material.

That being said it is very expensive.

The online option is nice as a planning tool. It tells you what materials you will need and what you need to do for the lesson. It provides additional information (not every lesson) and an assessment for each lesson. It will also provide an online unit review and an online unit assessment.

Actually, in the Intermediate History, it seems at least a majority of the unit assessments are printed in the book rather than online. There are many online assignments, which are marked as such, but the assessments seem mostly to be in the student workbook. There are also two semester assessments in the book. The more frequent lesson assessments, though, do appear to be mostly, if not all, online.