Menu

I'm *not* going to the local home school convention :)

Guest Cindie2dds

Guest Cindie2dds

For the first time in three years I have not even felt the pull to go. I actually forgot about the date when I put in the bids for my May schedule. I am so excited about not going. It just seems like such a huge relief since I'm not searching for new curricula anymore. Anyone else not going? :D

We're not, but only because I think our "local" (2 hrs away) convention is horrible. I don't need help deciding on curricula, but I could really use the encouragement and high I used to get by going to CHAP every year with a girlfriend of mine... although that could have been the no kids/ lots of ice cream working. :)

I'm not, either. I've been homeschooling for a long, long time, and I don't need much of anything. I'll miss the excitement and fellowship - it's fun to see all the enthusiastic new(er) homeschoolers buying their books. But I won't miss spending a weekend indoors during prime gardening season, the exhaustion from crowd exposure, and the $$$.

Last year I saw SWB and her mom speak. It was a wonderful finish to my convention "career."

GardenMom

I'm not going. It falls on the same weekend that my DD is graduating, and we'll have my parents in town for that. Honestly though, even if DD wasn't graduating, I can't see paying the money to go anyway. Ours is a 4-hour trip (one way), and by the time we pay for gas and food, it would cost us over $500 to attend!

I'd rather spend that money on one of Disney's Homeschooling Days Events.

Im not going to our "local" convention either. #1 reason is we can't budget it this year. However we're attending the Virtual convention and I'm SUPER excited about that!

We're not needing new curricula or anything, but encouraging words and similar families and minds is always nice to listen to and get to know. We're going to be enjoying our morning breakfast, in jammies listening and watching the convention this year!

I'm not going either. I've been at this for a while and am comfortable with my curriculum choices. Plus, I just don't seem to fit in with the local convention crowd. I don't seem to encounter classical homeschoolers there and I'm not the denim jumper wearing type. I get tired of being stared at because I chose to wear, gasp, pants!

The last time I did a covention was in Cincinnati and had a chance to hear SWB. That was wonderful.

Faith

I went to ours for a couple of years and found it to be completely lame. I got very little out of the seminars, did enjoy the main sessions and found myself spending more and more time at lunch break with my girlfriend. Oh, the vendors booths were good, but it seemed to go more and more toward - buy this juicer and it will revolutionize your life, or buy this wheat grinder and you will have no more health problems, and not so much educational stuff. So, I didn't go last year and I heard it was a flop and I went to the CHEFA homepage last week and found that they won't be having a convention this year. So there!:D

I'm one of those who needs to "touch, feel, see" curriculum. I'm going to two, but only to the curriculum fairs. Junior High is rapidly approaching, and while I have Math and History pretty much done, I want to compare some history spines, check out some writing programs, and compare grammar and latin programs in person.

We may be leaving for Italy (I don't know yet), and I need to have solid plans for 7th grade before we go -- because I won't be able to make a convention here for awhile.

I at least have a list of what I want to look at, and am making a list of questions (if I have some). However, this will also be the first time I go without any family members (or maybe just my oldest son).

Otherwise, I wouldn't be going either.

I have attended our local convention the past three years, but am not going this year. I don't feel the slightest desire to go. I'm not interested in the speaker line-up. The majority of vendors do not interest me. (The few that do, I can/will order on-line from them.)

Like someone else mentioned -- it is prime gardening time! :D I would rather spend my time, energy and money on the garden right now. ;)

Oh, and last year I was highly annoyed at all the people walking around talking about the "end of time" approaching and wishing it would hurry up and get here. :tongue_smilie: Not the type of talk I really want to expose my child to.

Now I am trying to figure out if I can drop the $$$ for the Circe conference. THAT interests me.

Guest Katia

I'm not going, because my baby is graduating this year and for the first time in 16 years, I don't need new curriculum!

But, I homeschooled for 11 years before I ever went to a convention. And, I really, really, really wanted to go to one, but dh wouldn't hear of spending the money.

So, we finally go to our state convention, and it was so lame. The speakers didn't have anything to say that we hadn't already heard or read, the curriculum was higher priced than I could have purchased it online, and the venue was not air-conditioned on a hot, hot day in June. I never went back and didn't care to. Dh felt justified for all those years he wouldn't let me go.