Menu

the easier, more accessible books from the WTM 9th grade literature list?

We are doing Ancients this year (only 1/4 through our year) and while I have a lovely variety of books, including Eastern literature, I realise I would like my dd13, who is probably only Logic stage in maturity but still but a good reader, to have a go at at least one or two of the books in the WTM literature list for grade 9, since we may not get to Ancients again. Here in Australia, she would be grade 9.

So, apart from the Bible and Homer, which ones do you think are accessible for a 13yo? Without totally killing her love of literature?

(We have done the Iliad together, and will do the Odyssey together later in the year).

I am thinking Plutarch, but every time I look at it, I kind of dry up. But I kind of feel like that about most of the books on the list, because I am ignorant.

We really liked Sophocles' Oedipus Rex, the first play of the trilogy... my 13yo actually said "I don't want to stop reading it, I have to find out what happens!" It's short which makes it more approachable. If your dd likes it she could go on to read the other 2. But lots of folks read only the first.

We're currently reading the first 8 lives of Plutarch per Omnibus I and getting a lot out of them. The lives are short (20-ish pages each), and written in pairs (a Gk and a Roman) with a comparison for most. Another thing that makes them interesting is that they were Shakespeare's sources for the main facts of Julius Caesar, Antony & Cleopatra and other plays. Again, she could try a couple pairs, and stop if she doesn't like them.

- Epic of Gilgamesh (Westwood)

We used this abridged out-of-print version, which also had some Babylonian mythology in it as well. It went over quite well, and was not at all intimidating; be very cautious about other versions, which can be quite explicit sexually in one section.

- Oedipus Rex

Just now reading this play, along with the free online Sparknotes guide, and it, too is quite accessible -- short, too, if you just do the first of the three plays. The storyline is focused on Oedipus fated/running headlong into his fate of murdering his father and incest with his mother, so if this is not a topic you want to deal with, be forewarned.

- Greek myths

Jason and the Argonauts is a slightly longer myth -- I remember reading that one years and years ago, and it's quite an accessible adventure story. (And you can have fun watching the 1963 film with the great Ray Harryhausen special effects afterwards!) We are reading shorter prose versions of Jason and other Greek myths from vol. 3 of our Junior Classic: The Young Folks' Shelf of Books series put out in the '50s by Collier. The versions of the myths in this volume are by: Thomas Bulfinch; W.M.L. Hutchinson; Charles Kingsley; Elsie F. Buckley; and Nathaniel Hawthorne.

- The Aeneid for Boys and Girls (Church)

Again, we'll be doing this abridged version. We did the full translations by Fagles of The Iliad and The Odyssey earlier this year, so we're ready for a break!

- Plato

We may try a 1-2 brief excerpts from his work -- actually, DH is interested in doing this with the boys. Here's a great website if you want more info on Plato's Dialogues: http://plato-dialogues.org/plato.htm

Enjoy! We've really enjoyed the ancients this year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

So, apart from the Bible and Homer, which ones do you think are accessible for a 13yo? Without totally killing her love of literature?

(We have done the Iliad together, and will do the Odyssey together later in the year).

Hi Peela,

Consider Aristophanes. We did The Frogs because I wanted an excuse to buy the soundtrack to the Sondheim Broadway musical version of the play featuring Nathan Lane. I think that The Birds may be on the WTM list. Some find Aristophanes to be a bit crude and lewd, but the humor was very appealing to my Monty Python loving son.

Not sure how to rate The Aeneid from the accessibility standpoint, but, as a cornerstone of literature, it deserves some time. In fact, as we work our way through medieval literature, we constantly encounter references and parallels to The Aeneid. Vandiver's Teaching Company lectures on this work are worthwhile listening!

I would also consider Plato's Republic. This book leads to excellent discussions--try reading parts of it aloud.

Jane

I agree. The ones my 13yo liked were The Aeneid (got it on audio from the library), The Birds, The Republic (MUCH easier to read than I thought it would be), and the Illiad and Odyssey. He also like The Oresteia (probably mangled the name). He was thorougily familiar with the Greek myths when we began, having done TWTM grammar and logic ancients lists, and is a good reader.

I can't get it down to fewer than 4, if she might not be getting back to this period:

1) Antigone - Sophocles [Oedipus Rex gets more coverage, but I believe this is a much better work for high school - and especially for middle school - I think the core issues resonate more strongly with a teen than those in Oedipus... ymmv :) If you have the time, it is so neat to follow up by reading Anouilh's Antigone and looking at how the same story is used to to express really different things... even if you don't do this, I think Antigone is unmissable (though it makes more sense if you do a quick synopsis of Oedipus... ]

2) Aeniad - Virgil The best work of Roman literature, imnsho, and since you are doing the Iliad and the Odyssey, this is a really logical follow-up.

3) At least one of Plato's dialogues ....

4) Some excerpts from Plutarch's Lives - you might want to look at the Ambleside site, for inspiration about Plutarch, as I recall, it is a regular part of their program.

If there is any way to do it, I would also strong suggest at little bit of Aristotle. He was such a significant influence on European thought, and you really can't get the flavor of it by reading about him... I would even consider cutting into next year's Medieval lit to squeeze in some Aristotle.

ETA: perhaps you could also spend a day or so just reading some poems? Sappho, Simonides, Pindar, Catullus, Ovid and Horace are the big names which come to mind... I love poetry so much that I like to have us read some as part of every literature grouping!

Oh gosh, thankyou Eliana! Now I am quite overwhelmed but I have written it all down. I have decided on Plutarch (just a few), one of Sophocles (might depend on what i find at the 2nd hand bookshop, but your comments are noted!), Plato's Republic...and that may be all I can realistically fit in.

The Aeniad.....we have read childrens' versions of this....I am just not sure if i will get to fit it in this time. I have a feeling though that our Latin program (Cambridge) covers it, I will check that.

I am taking note of the poetry...I will have a look at it and see if it resonates. Thanks for suggesting it, I hadnt thought of that and wouldnt have known where to start.

Thanks everyone else too...glad there was SOME consensus....makes it easier to choose.