Menu

Question about Lightning Literature 7

I am considering using LL7 next year. It seems to get good reviews, but many say that it is "lite". I just looked at the price - $50 student $70 teacher. Wow! :ohmy: That's a lot for a "lite" program.

Those who have used it, do you feel it was worth the cost? Any ideas on where (besides here) to get it used? Is the student book consumable?

Thanks!

I just ordered this. I bought it directly from Hewitt Homeschooling (I don't even know if it can be purchased anywhere else). I got the "pack" which includes the student guide, teacher guide, and all the books (I think there are four books plus an "collection"-type book) for $85.

Where are you seeing these prices?

Just trying to help some!:D

I am considering using LL7 next year. It seems to get good reviews, but many say that it is "lite". I just looked at the price - $50 student $70 teacher. Wow! :ohmy: That's a lot for a "lite" program. Those who have used it, do you feel it was worth the cost?

Hi Sue,

Well, I have a son who's average at lang. arts, and a son who struggles with that area. Both LL7 and LL8 were "lite" enough that we were able to do other language arts programs without it being burdensome -- each boy had additional reading; a separate writing program; and grammar. But I felt that the caliber of literature, the amount of teaching information, the variety of exercises, and the additional info for the "mini-writing lessons" and the longer writing assignments were *well* worth the price to me.

LL7 has 8 units, and LL8 has 12 units. If you break that down and compare it to similar literature study guides, LL7 costs $85 for the TM, Student Guide and Workpages, and all the books -- that's less than $11 per unit -- and it *includes* all the books! Similarly, LL8 is $94 for 12 units, and that includes everything except one book (which comes in LL7).

So, was it worth it to me? Yes! It way surpassed my hopes and expectations, was extremely enjoyable, was a great intro to literary analysis AND to some works we weren't familiar with. If you have an advanced student, or have already been doing a lot of literary analysis, or have already done most of the books in LL7 or LL8, then no, it wouldn't be worth it.

Any ideas on where (besides here) to get it used? Is the student book consumable?

Hewitt Homeschooling is the only place that sells it new. I bought the books separately used, as we have some good used book stores locally, so I saved about $20 off the "pack" price.

Yes, the Student Workpages are consumable. However, it is not advisable to buy just the Student Workpages, as they are only the exercises; all of the Student teaching text, mini-writing lesson info, and longer writing assignments are a part of the Student Guid (non-consumable).

Hope that helps! Warmest regards, Lori D.

We are using it this year. Dd has enjoyed the books and the poetry. I agree with Dayle in that it has opened my dd's eyes a little. I am very pleased with it.

1)The student book is consumable.

2)I would not consider the program "lite."

3)You can find it on ebay every once in awhile...but not easy.

4)It has been worth the cost.

I also purchased directly from Hewitt. I did not purchase the books. A quick look at the library system let me know that all the books were available there. I have a teacher card so I can keep books out 6 weeks and renew for another 6 weeks. That worked fine for me. I think I paid around $60 for the TM and the SM (maybe a little more w/shipping).

Angel

Can I tack on a question to this thread? My apologies to the OP!

I already own some of the books for LL 7. Do the questions/assignments refer to page numbers in the reading books, such that you'll have problems if you don't have the exact edition they sell?

Thanks,

Pegasus

Can I tack on a question to this thread? My apologies to the OP!

I already own some of the books for LL 7. Do the questions/assignments refer to page numbers in the reading books, such that you'll have problems if you don't have the exact edition they sell?

Thanks,

Pegasus

In LL8, I didn't notice that there were specific page numbers for assignments/questions. I would think LL7 is the same, but, I'm not sure, I haven't received mine yet!

You can use any edition -- they only refer to chapters.

I am considering using LL7 next year. It seems to get good reviews, but many say that it is "lite". I just looked at the price - $50 student $70 teacher. Wow! :ohmy: That's a lot for a "lite" program.

Those who have used it, do you feel it was worth the cost? Any ideas on where (besides here) to get it used? Is the student book consumable?

Thanks!

The only thing I've thought was light was the workload -- the content is excellent. So I actually think of it as a benefit... you don't have to cut back on other reading or writing to fit in what they require. There also isn't really any writing instruction. Assignments yes, but not really instruction.

And I know I only paid $50 for the Teacher's Guide and Student Guide together! Most of the books I collected one by one from Borders when I had coupons. :)