Menu

Shurley, FLL, WWE, TT4, etc. (transitioning from classical to home school)

Beth in SW WA

Thank you for indulging these random questions.

Dd 7 is in first grade at a classical school. I am hs'ing her & dd 6 next year for first and second grades.

Abi is proficient in Shurley 3 through chapter 4. She knows all the jingles and definitions. She is now learning to classify preps & op's. She loves the question & answer flow.

Should I keep the Shurley 3 (which I am borrowing from a friend) and take it slow OR buy a copy of Shurley 2 (which I'd rather not do)?

Whatever I do, it will include both the girls. I'll teach Abi -- with Aly tagging along for the ride. Although, FLL looks like a great program. Maybe I could take elements from FLL & Shurley. I'm thinking out loud here.

I have the WWE text and plan to purchase the workbooks. We'll start with 1. I know I want something scripted.

She is a strong reader. She came from China very bright and eager to learn, learn, learn. We basically follow her lead. She is reading Charlotte's Web on her own this week. She hasn't been challenged in reading at her school. They just aren't set up for reading levels.

For math, she is finishing up Saxon 1 right now. I anticipate spending a fair amount of energy helping her memorize her math facts this summer & next year. I was given Horizons 1 & 2. I also have Singapore 1A that she dabbles in. I'd love to get her doing more Singapore, but not exclusively. I confess that TT3 looks appealing. She is ready for that, based on the placement test. The lazy side of me would love to stick her in front of the computer for her math lesson. (We had a good experience with TT 6 & 7 with my older dc.)

We'll continue with cursive & SWR for spelling.

For history, SOTW 1. Can't wait.

No formal science. We're doing Spanish instead of Latin.

I welcome any feedback. I've never formally homeschooled this age.

Thank you in advance! :001_smile:

Edited by Beth in SW WA
typo

Colleen, I've been stalking you for days here but you didn't even know it. :001_smile:

I finally got up the nerve to post a question. You ladies are amazing. I'm blown away.

I think I've read all your posts regarding WWE. And all of OhElizabeth's regarding Shurley. So helpful! Thank you!

Hey Beth,

I would stay with Shurley 3. There is really very little difference between the levels until you hit Level 7. Add in more practice sentences if you feel like you need to provide more exercises. FWIW, my dc have done Shurley English Levels 3, 5 and 7. I don't find it necessary to do every level since there is so much review and repetition. We supplement with Daily Grams for more practice on mechanics, which is one weakness of Shurely.

HTH,

Lisa

I'm with the others. I would do FLL 1/2 with your younger (and the memory work with BOTH of them, very important!), and continue Shurley 3 with the older.

You're so lucky to get to teach these grades, especially if it's your first time! They're such a joy. You don't have a lot of academics and have-to's, but they are big enough to do things and have fun and enjoy crafts. Have lots of fun with it, that's my two cents. Just HAVE FUN. Go crazy with it. :)

I'm SO flipping excited to see you're back!! I loved your posts before. I have Shirley 7, and I can use a ton of it for my son. (the method, not necessarily the actual sentences that are in 7) I noticed this when I was asking my older daughter some of the questions, and my son could answer...

I actually like the older jingles; they're slightly longer or different than the younger ones. I figure it's easiest to just learn the whole thing right away. As for Singapore, once you start using it, you're going to love it! I absolutely love it for both my 7 and 11 year olds! I love the way that you're suppose to think while doing the math! It's all about the thinking behind it... and not just the answer. I do think it's easiest when you start while they're younger.. rather than older!

:)

Colleen, I've been stalking you for days here but you didn't even know it. :001_smile:

I finally got up the nerve to post a question. You ladies are amazing. I'm blown away.

I think I've read all your posts regarding WWE. And all of OhElizabeth's regarding Shurley. So helpful! Thank you!

Nerve?!?!?!?!? Wow, I was just checking out your stats the other day, wondering where in the world you disappeared to!!! I used to love reading your posts - you come back here and hang out with us - you have a lot to offer, too!!!!

And ditto what Elizabeth said - homeschooling the younger grades is fun!!!

Should I keep the Shurley 3 (which I am borrowing from a friend) and take it slow OR buy a copy of Shurley 2 (which I'd rather not do)? Keep her in 3 and just keep eyes open for struggle. If she begins to struggle you can either trim it down, slow down, or start back at the beginning of 3. Either way, there is hardly a need.

Whatever I do, it will include both the girls. I'll teach Abi -- with Aly tagging along for the ride. Although, FLL looks like a great program. Maybe I could take elements from FLL & Shurley. I'm thinking out loud here. FLL is gentle and fun

I have the WWE text and plan to purchase the workbooks. We'll start with 1. I know I want something scripted.

For math, she is finishing up Saxon 1 right now. I anticipate spending a fair amount of energy helping her memorize her math facts this summer & next year. I was given Horizons 1 & 2. I also have Singapore 1A that she dabbles in. I'd love to get her doing more Singapore, but not exclusively. I confess that TT3 looks appealing. She is ready for that, based on the placement test. The lazy side of me would love to stick her in front of the computer for her math lesson. (We had a good experience with TT 6 & 7 with my older dc.) Use what you have :) Drill those facts!

We'll continue with cursive & SWR for spelling.

For history, SOTW 1. Can't wait.

No formal science. We're doing Spanish instead of Latin.

I welcome any feedback. I've never formally homeschooled this age.

Thank you in advance! :001_smile:

Sounds like a good plan. You know, you can easily incorporate her science via reading materials. When you set aside an "assigned reading" section of say 20min./day, make the books about science topics! Have fun!