Menu

Would you put these ingredients together?

In the ever growing effort to spend less, [We have a signed contract for a house] I am trying to broaden our eating and actually eat what is in our cupboard. :D So here are the ingredients I want to make a meal out of tonight for 1 adult and 6 kids:

White basmati rice [my sister heard that it is just as healthy as brown and I so want to believe that. :tongue_smilie:]

1 can of black beans

1 carton of organic tomato soup

cheddar cheese

sour cream

cilantro

I was thinking of a soup.

I would also serve on the side:

cucumbers

red peppers

What do you think?

ETA: I do have another carton of soup if necessary and a little leftover chicken from last night.

****UPDATE****

Because I know you were all dying to know how dinner went. . .:tongue_smilie:

I put the beans, rice, and salsa into a dish and baked for a while then I added cilantro, chopped tomatoes and cheese and melted. The older kids liked it pretty well. 4 year old, well she doesn't like anything. :D My son said it was good but spicy like there was 'medium' salsa in the dish. I told him that's b/c there was medium salsa in the dish. :lol:

I took some old rice that I had burned and poured the soup into the pan with it. I then added a touch of half-n-half and heated it. That was a HUGE hit. They ate two peppers and a cuke. I think we did alright. Thanks for your help. I will get this yet. :001_smile:

Edited by newlifemom
Update

In the ever growing effort to spend less, [We have a signed contract for a house] I am trying to broaden our eating and actually eat what is in our cupboard. :D So here are the ingredients I want to make a meal out of tonight for 1 adult and 6 kids:

White basmati rice [my sister heard that it is just as healthy as brown and I so want to believe that. :tongue_smilie:]

1 can of black beans

1 carton of organic tomato soup

cheddar cheese

sour cream

cilantro

I was thinking of a soup.

I would also serve on the side:

cucumbers

red peppers

What do you think?

ETA: I do have another carton of soup if necessary and a little leftover chicken from last night.

I would make black beans and rice and maybe serve the soup on the side.

Do you have any tomatoes? Salsa? If so, I would bake the beans in the salsa (or chopped tomatoes, onion, green peppers...if you have them), add some chili powder and cumin if you have it, top with cheese and cilantro the last 5 min or so, and serve it over the rice with a side of cucumbers and pepper (bonus if you have red onions).

I don't know what to say about the soup - serve it on the side topped with the rest of the cilantro?

Do you have any tomatoes? Salsa? If so, I would bake the beans in the salsa (or chopped tomatoes, onion, green peppers...if you have them), add some chili powder and cumin if you have it, top with cheese and cilantro the last 5 min or so, and serve it over the rice with a side of cucumbers and pepper (bonus if you have red onions).

I don't know what to say about the soup - serve it on the side topped with the rest of the cilantro?

Ok, I think that maybe this would work. I do have salsa and tomatoes [forgot about those] I don't have chili powder but do have cumin.

Thanks guys. I knew I could count on you. Oh and Laura, life is so busy, but I still have the sentence in my head and am going to figure it out. :D

Ok, I think that maybe this would work. I do have salsa and tomatoes [forgot about those] I don't have chili powder but do have cumin.

Thanks guys. I knew I could count on you. Oh and Laura, life is so busy, but I still have the sentence in my head and am going to figure it out. :D

Oh, I have the sentence in my head, too - it's ever present! (Shame on you!)

You don't really need the chili powder if the salsa is hot enough and you have the cumin on hand to make it smoky. Possibly crushed red peppers for heat? Or just plain old black pepper. Mix it all together and bake it at 350 for about 30 min (while the rice cooks) before you melt the cheese on top.

Edited by LauraGB

With so few beans, I'd go for the soup, then serve a scoop (an ice cream scoop will make it pretty) of rice on top, right before serving. It'll make for an attractive presentation. I'd serve the cucumbers and cheese on the side, for adding to the soup as desired.

And I hate to tell you this, but your sister is wrong... ;)

Sounds good to me ! I would pour the beans into the tomato soup and perk it up with fresh cilantro and/or chili powder. Ignore the sour cream, and sprinkle a few shreds of cheese on each serving as a garnish.

P.S. If this is "cream of tomato soup", scrap my idea and move on.

Sounds good to me ! I would pour the beans into the tomato soup and perk it up with fresh cilantro and/or chili powder. Ignore the sour cream, and sprinkle a few shreds of cheese on each serving as a garnish.
:svengo:

P.S. If this is "cream of tomato soup", scrap my idea and move on.

Oh..I was under the assumption that it was cream of tomato. If it isn't "cream of" then it might be ok