Menu

Best (cheapest) place to buy LL LOTR?

scrapbabe

LLftLotR is only available (new) through the creator/publisher, Homescholar. Ways to save money on a new program: this page of their website lists any specials. And at the very bottom of the page is a link for signing up for the monthly drawing for a $50, $25, or $10 gift certificate to the website.

Other options:

- Buy new and resell (can recoup about 50-65% of your cost).

- Go in together and buy new with another homeschooler; take turns using it, or do it as a co-op.

- Borrow from a friend.

- Buy and use only the TM new, and skip the student book.

- Buy the program used. (WTM sale/swap board; Homeschool Classifieds; Vegsource)

- Buy at least the 3 books of the trilogy used locally

Enjoy LLftLotR! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Yeah, I think I gotta by the student manual too - my son really likes the workbooky kind of stuff.

I did find it for a little less at RockSolid Inc. I also found it used at Exodus Books -but after shipping it wasn't worth it - I'd rather have it new for $10 extra dollars.

Thanks for chiming in.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Just wanted to add - I talked with the author a few days ago and she told me that the new edition of LL LOTR is coming out at the beginning of May. It will be less expensive and tied to a newer edition of the books.

You might want to wait and check out this new version before you buy.

:001_smile:

Just wanted to add - I talked with the author a few days ago and she told me that the new edition of LL LOTR is coming out at the beginning of May. It will be less expensive and tied to a newer edition of the books.

You might want to wait and check out this new version before you buy.

:001_smile:

Or maybe not. What are they changing and what about the "new edition" of the book? Is it an abridged version or something?

ugh i wish i would have known a new version was coming out!! i just bought it.. ugh.

I hate it when that happens! My guess is there aren't a lot of changes. It's a huge book! Maybe it's just better suited to use with all different versions of the book - so you don't have to buy one particular book? Maybe. Just tell yourself that's it, and you'll feel much better.:001_smile:

Smiles,

Shalynn

Or maybe not. What are they changing and what about the "new edition" of the book? Is it an abridged version or something?

Well there are all kinds of editions. Some have pictures, some have a special forward, etc. I think when she wrote the LL LOTR she referenced certain page numbers and paragraphs from one certain edition. Maybe this update just makes it easier to use with other editions. I wouldn't imagine she would change the study guide to now be used with an abridged version - since it was originally written for the unabridged. Make sense? It'll be interesting to see.:001_smile:

Smiles,

Shalynn

I was able to get both the TM and the student book on ebay for about $70 including postage. The TM is like new and the workbook had several pages with writing in it but for that price it wasn't a big deal. I also just received the Further Up, Further In study for $20 including postage on ebay.

I don't think the new edition is abridged, but I don't know any more than that. The main changes to the 2nd edition is in the teacher's guide. The current guide includes exact copies of the students' sheets with the answers. In the new edition, the answers will be there, but not in the form of exact copies of the student sheets. Apparently, this will make the teacher's edition much smaller - therefore the lower price (and easier to carry around). I personally like to have the student sheets in my teacher's guide, so that I know exactly what the questions are. I'll wait and see the samples on the website (around May 1st) and then decide which edition I'll buy.

I hope I've conveyed the changes accurately, you might want to email the author (or call her) and get more details. She said they will still carry the 1st edition student books for a few years so that those who have that teacher's edition will be able to get the matching student books. Also, they will have the 1st edition for a while longer - so if you prefer that edition, it is still available.

Hope this helps!

I don't think the new edition is abridged, but I don't know any more than that. The main changes to the 2nd edition is in the teacher's guide. The current guide includes exact copies of the students' sheets with the answers. In the new edition, the answers will be there, but not in the form of exact copies of the student sheets. Apparently, this will make the teacher's edition much smaller - therefore the lower price (and easier to carry around). I personally like to have the student sheets in my teacher's guide, so that I know exactly what the questions are. I'll wait and see the samples on the website (around May 1st) and then decide which edition I'll buy.

I hope I've conveyed the changes accurately, you might want to email the author (or call her) and get more details. She said they will still carry the 1st edition student books for a few years so that those who have that teacher's edition will be able to get the matching student books. Also, they will have the 1st edition for a while longer - so if you prefer that edition, it is still available.

Hope this helps!

UGH!:confused: I like having exact student pages in the teacher's manual, it makes it much easier for me for several reasons. I may have to purchase sooner than I had hoped.