Menu

baby bunny

my son just found a baby bunny by our house and we aren't sure what to do with him...other than keeping him, what should we do...where is a good place to put him so the neighborhood cat doesn't get him...

Years ago, we found a bush bunny and took him to the wildlife rehab center. They examined him and released him. If this bunny is a domestic pet bunny, you can keep him in a pet carrier or a wire mesh cage until you find the owner. An old cardboard box may work temporarily until he jumps out or you can cover it with mesh. Don't let him sit in the dark though. The garage or a mud room etc. would probably be a good spot where no cats can get to him. They can live outside if you have a safe space unless the night time temps are low.

They eat hay and love to snack on carrots and lettuce.

Unfortunately, despite what all our instincts tell us to do, you should just leave it alone.

I agree....

Oh yes, baby bunnies!! There were baby bunnies born 3 houses up from us 2 years ago. They were not real concealed...not sure what mommy bunny was thinking :glare: so I called the vet, etc. Their advice was to leave it alone. The Mommy bunny is close by keeping an eye on the next, but not present with them so as not to draw attention. I think that's what they said. I don't know if you touch them if Mommy will abondon them or not......question for Soph!

we live next to the church where my husband is Pastor and he found the bunny in the middle of the parkling lot...so I don't think putting him back there is a good idea..but I don't know...

Got it...call your local vet right away. You're right...parking lot not a good place for those precious animals!! Keep us posted, please.

If the bunny was the size of your palm, it is probably ok just under the bush. If the bunny was the size of a Reese's peanut butter cup (and didn't have it's eyes open) then you pray that Mama finds him because he would still be nursing.

I've rescued wild bunnies from two nests. One nest was found by dogs and the other was in the way of a weed whacker. For some reason my neighbors always call me when they're panicked and don't know what to do! Unfortunately even at the wildlife center the really tiny bunnies that are still nursing have a really low survival rate. Mom is always best for taking care of them.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

we live next to the church where my husband is Pastor and he found the bunny in the middle of the parkling lot...so I don't think putting him back there is a good idea..but I don't know...

If it is not a domestic pet bunny that someone lost, check if you have a wildlife center nearby. They will know what to do.