Menu

Riddle me this, Batman: US History for dd. I'm stumped!

15 yo dd will be in 10th grade next year. She wants to do US History. We own Notgrass; she thinks it's boring.

What she's looking for:

• Colorful
  • Questions or activities included (or in separate book)
  • Concise
  • Thorough
  • Readable, easy to understand

Does such an animal exist? I want a stand-alone history; we already have plans for literature and Bible so those subjects don't need to be included.

THANKS!!

Hi DB,

What about that newish program by Bill Bennett? I can't remember the name just now (how helpful is THAT?!) but hopefully someone else can! I thought it sounded quite interesting, and I would have considered it if I were not already using TOG. Hopefully someone else can give more concrete direction!

Blessings,

April

I know there are those who think Hakim isn't scholastic enough for high school, but I'm still doing it. It is memorable, my college aged son even says he is thankful we did it (along with other selections from Beautiful Feet). He says he actually remembered it, unlike textbooks he did. I'm in the same boat as you, I need US History next year for dd (thanks for the review of Notgrass!).

It's funny you mention History of US. I'm considering that, but it needs.....MORE. KWIM? I thought about BF or SL, but....

As for Notgrass, I have to say that it was my son's FAVORITE PROGRAM EVER -- in any subject, in any year that we homeschooled (and we homeschooled him the whole way -- 1st - 12th grades). My dd, otoh, is a different duck, and Notgrass just ain't her thang ;)

It's funny you mention History of US. I'm considering that, but it needs.....MORE. KWIM? I thought about BF or SL, but....

Have you thought about pairing the Hakim books with some of the exercises from Critical Thinking in US History? The critical thinking books have some interesting exercises where the student examines things like the Salem Witch Trials and the ratification of the Constitution from different perspectives. My son and I have had some lively discussions over these exercises, and they've definitely added some depth to the Hakim books.

Brenda

Maybe you could add the Teaching Co. History of the United States dvds? They would qualify as colorful, concise, thorough and easy to understand. If you had questions/activities for the History of US books you would have everything you wanted!

Yes, I do think that the History of US books are a little light for High School (heck, I think that Notgrass is too light alone) but....if you added some regular (we do weekly) writing assignments and a research paper you could bump it up. Maybe you could have your daughter read the American Voices book from Notgrass as well, unless H of Us has something similar??

ETA: I feel like I am not being clear. We are currently using Notgrass (for History, not Lit) and the TTC dvds. My daughter writes a paper every week (from the assignments in Notgrass) and uses the quizzes as a review. She is studying for the SAT US History Subject test and will write a research paper in June. I think that if we had substituted H of US we would have had a fairly similar year. Make more sense?

Edited by Liza Q

As for Notgrass, I have to say that it was my son's FAVORITE PROGRAM EVER -- in any subject, in any year that we homeschooled (and we homeschooled him the whole way -- 1st - 12th grades). My dd, otoh, is a different duck, and Notgrass just ain't her thang ;)

I'm laughing.... my son liked or did anything I put in front of him. He is just now (in college) telling me what he didn't like (sorry about a few earlier reviews I gave before he told me)..... and our dd is a "different duck" as well, it is no problem knowing what she doesn't like!!

And, Donna, let me know if you want to know what BF books I did w/Hakim (PM me in case I can't find this thread). Our oldest shares your oldest's name! He devours books, dd not so much so, she loves reading, but is much slower. I'm still debating if she can get enough covered to do what ds did.