Menu

"Family Life Education" curriculum in public school???

DH is of the mind that he wants to have PDG go to public school for 1st grade if we end up moving to Alexandria, VA.

I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A FIGHT TO ERUPT! I'm just ignorant...

Is this a standard curriculum for 1st grade? There is little here that we haven't already covered at home in general terms...I'm not making any judgments, but I am kind of surprised that this much detail is covered in first grade.

From the Fairfax County Public Schools website:

"Human sexuality education (family life education) content begins in grade 5 and continues through high school."

Feel better now? :D

ETA: Pm me if you know which school and are willing to share--we live close by.

The twins attended public school for first grade in Vienna (fairfax County) - no, that was not part of their curriculum.

Chris can probably help me out here -- 'Alexandria' can be the city of Alexandria (which would be the website you were reading) OR aren't there parts of Alexandria that are Fairfax County (which would be fcps.edu)? CHRIS?

http://commweb.fcps.edu/directory/byname.cfm

Here is the link to schools that are in Alexandria but are part of the Fairfax County Public Schools -- don't ask me -- I don't understand it -- but you can see by the addresses of these schools, they are part of Fairfax County yet in Alexandria. I know that this is true, just don't ask me to explain it.

Urgh! Tried to correct my post but the server was busy! lol

Yes, some schools are actually in Fairfax County system, even tho their address is Alexandria.

The good news is that you can opt out of Family Life Ed. Your child will be given an alternative assignment. They are supposed to give you a heads-up as to when the material will be presented, so you can keep your child home if you want to, but you know that it will be playground talk...

Yes, some schools are actually in Fairfax County system, even tho their address is Alexandria.

The good news is that you can opt out of Family Life Ed. Your child will be given an alternative assignment. They are supposed to give you a heads-up as to when the material will be presented, so you can keep your child home if you want to, but you know that it will be playground talk...

....and lunch table talk.

And, chris, thanks for the assist.

Hopefully this will be ENOUGH to change my DH's mind about public for 1st. :glare: