Menu

pricing used furniture

We have quite a bit of furniture we're wanting to sell. I'm just so tired of our living room and den furniture and after 15 years of marriage it is way past time to get something we *want* instead of whatever our parents have cast off!:D

We're having a large neighborhood yard sale in a couple of weeks and I can let people look at it then and after that I can list what's left on Craigslist. How do I know what to ask for this stuff? Two of the sofas are in decent condition--just need to be cleaned. Two of them will need small repair, but probably not need to be cleaned.

Do you have time to go wander around used furniture stores before the yard sale? Then you can get an idea of what similar items are being sold for (or at least the asking price). If you want to sell it faster, you can sell it for less than the typical. Some used furniture places will also price and offer to buy your items - of course they want to buy it for less than market value so they can make more profit,but it could giv you a starting point as well.

When I am pricing things for a garage sale, I try to look at each item and ask myself what I would pay for it if I were out bargain hunting. I might then even knock a little off of it if I really just want it gone. It mostly depends on whether or not my primary motivator is profit.

Are you planning to clean them before you sell or just as is?

Are they quality showroom furniture with solid wood frames and quality springs? Or a less expensive brand that really may not last much longer or is already starting to sag?

If it is better quality, I would clean it to help make it worth someones effort to come look at it. I have sold a couch for $250 on CL and the people felt they got a deal.

If it is lesser quality and showing wear (especially the ones that need repair), I would price it low and just get rid of it. I have sold a good quality, but obviously worn (no holes but fabric showed wear) couch for $75. If it was lesser quality and worn or torn...I would aim for $50.

Sometimes features like recliner ends can increase the price if they are in good working order. BUT they can make it harder to sell because of the weight.

You may want to start with CL since you will probably get more money there than a garage sale.

We have quite a bit of furniture we're wanting to sell. I'm just so tired of our living room and den furniture and after 15 years of marriage it is way past time to get something we *want* instead of whatever our parents have cast off!:D

We're having a large neighborhood yard sale in a couple of weeks and I can let people look at it then and after that I can list what's left on Craigslist. How do I know what to ask for this stuff? Two of the sofas are in decent condition--just need to be cleaned. Two of them will need small repair, but probably not need to be cleaned.

Go to the Habitat for Humanity thrift shop near the Biltmore and see how they have priced things. I found their prices to be pretty well on target for used furniture. If this is higher quality furniture, there is a consignment shop on Sweeten Creek (I think) that might be good for comparison. Remember, people shopping yard sales are looking for bargains.