Menu

Could you recommend a great resource for planning high school years?

Mommy7

I can't believe I'm to the point of planning high school again...my oldest is 25 now, so I haven't done this in a while.

I have: Homeschooling the High Schooler, Volumes 1 & 2 and Senior High: A Home-Designed Form+U+la. Now I admit, that the Home Designed Formula book sort of gets on my nerves. It is so chatty. I had to read through a lot of "cutesy" stuff to get to the bottom line. Funny, I usually enjoy "chatty", but for something like planning, I need a bottom line, this is how you do it, sort of book.

So, any book recommendations? A nuts and bolts sort of book?

My dd will be in 8th next year, so I should really start figuring this out. I know, basically, what I'll do for those years, but I need to flesh it out and write ideas out.

Those of you who have homeschooled through high school, what worked best for you? Did you come up with course contracts, keep track of hours, log books read, or what?

Also post this thread on the high school board, as you'll receive many more "BTDT" responses from some wonderfully wise women! Here are two VERY helpful, fairly recent past threads on the topic of preparing for high school, and resources to help you prepare. The second thread has a wealth of links to other past threads on a variety of planning for high school topics. Welcome to high school! Warmest regards, Lori D.

When formulating a high school plan... what to take into consideration?

Soon to be high schooler

Mrs. Cohen's book is a great help !

I also suggest printing out a copy of your state's requirements for a college-bound high school student. (x years of math, y years of science, etc.) Of course that is not to suggest cloning public school for your own homeschool. I do so because it gives me a "skeleton" to tweak, as well as lets me know what colleges probably will be expecting to see represented on a transcript or in a portfolio. (In our case, such was not what the colleges received, but at least we knew the playing field in order to defend our choices where needed !)