Menu

Apologia Science and Journals...

butterfly113

Adding to Butterfly's question: has anyone used these for a 10 or 11 year old? Are they too immature for them? :bigear: We'll be doing the Astronomy (crunched into 2 months, dd doing it independantly) and I was thinking she might like them if they're not too babyish LOL.

TIA!

I have the Astronomy Notebook and all I can say is its worth every penny and then some. I say its very appropriate for a 10,11,even 12 year old.

They have a combination of writing, drawing, comprehension questions, crossword puzzles and so on in the notebooks. There are even minibooks should you decide to do a lapbook in the back of the notebook.

You can have your child complete all of the notebook pages, or pick and chose. Its not meant to be completely done.

I've used the free notebooking pages from Jeanie Fulbright's website and I liked those but I like the new Notebooks for the Elementary Science better :>)

I recently purchased the Notebooking Journal for Zoology 1.

Its fine but nothing that exciting. I would not purchase one for any other Apologia book. The only page we are doing is the crossword puzzle at the end of every chapter.

There are about 5-6 questions for each chapter and the rest is blank (decorated) pages for you to fill in.

Not overly impressed.

We are using the astronomy one. I am using it with my 9 yo ds and 11 yo dd. They really like it alot. I will definitely buy them for future apologia books. You can do as much or as little in them as you like. They have a schedule in the front and the writing parts are spread over several days, so that is not too overwhelming. They also have book suggestions and some activities that are not included in the textbook. I give it a thumbs up :001_smile:

Joy

We are using the notebook with Botany and find it very helpful. We don't do every single page but it definitely gives dd8 a framework to take notes while I'm reading, and to keep all her notes for review. I have her read the questions ahead of time and be on the lookout for the answers as we go through the book. Without this I'm not sure how we'd keep focused! I'm not really fond of the different fonts they use to try to decorate things, but dd doesn't seem to mind.

Bumping this to ask if anyone would consider posting a scan of a completed page. We have the Notebooking Journal for Zoo 1 and I'm looking at the first page...:001_huh: I'm not really sure what to ask the kids to do with it. Drawing in the boxes? Of what? Does it matter?

I think this will be good once I get my head wrapped around it. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

Holly

There are samples of the notebooks on Apologia's site. As I recall, almost a chapter of them. You can print them there.

We used the Astronomy with a 2nd grader this year. I thought it was decent. You can definitely pick and choose which pieces to do. Each unit had a couple of decorated note-taking templates, a framed illustration page, a page for writing up an experiment, a page with a scripture to copy, the chapter's comprehension questions, and a crossword puzzle. There is a year's sample schedule of lessons in the front and a section of mini-books (1-2) for each chapter that you can cut an assemble in the back.

The writing was a bit much (and the fonts/spaces small) for my 2nd grader. So I spent much of the year as her scribe. Still it was valuable and she has a great binder that she enjoys looking back at. I think the amount of writing would be ideal for a 3-4th grader. Grades 5+ might find some of it childish.

HTH