Menu

Dairy allergies, calcium, and vitamin D

We have a fairly healthy diet, especially now that we are switching to more naturally raised meats and organic produce. We get all of the food groups into our diet regularly except dairy. It has been suggested the my kids and I all need vitamin D and calcium supplements.

I don't really do supplements. I always forget, and what I've been reading makes me think that supplements aren't all that they are made out to be anyway.

How much would you worry about it? Would your concerns be different for the different ages represented (see ages in my signature)?

Not at all.

Millions of healthy people in other parts of the world which do not have strong dairy industries don't consider dairy products to be an essential part of their diets.

Both of my dds were lactose intolerant. Other than cheese on their tacos, some butter on their hot cereal, they never had dairy products and yet they lived to tell about it.:)

You can have vitamin D levels tested. Honestly, I *would* be concerned because you live at a fairly northern altitude where it's difficult for your bodies to make vitamin D from the sun except for a few hours a day during the summer. Even running around in shorts and a t-shirt through the summer is probably not enough for your bodies to get the D they need. I'd be much less concerned about calcium, which you can get from a number of food sources.

We don't do a lot of supplements generally, but I have become thoroughly convinced that most of us need D supplementation. A simple blood test will let you know what your individual levels are though.

We have a fairly healthy diet, especially now that we are switching to more naturally raised meats and organic produce. We get all of the food groups into our diet regularly except dairy. It has been suggested the my kids and I all need vitamin D and calcium supplements.

Almonds, molasses, broccoli, spinach (and other dark, leafy greens), dried figs, canned salmon and sardines with bones, sesame seeds, black-eyed peas and soybeans are all good sources of calcium.

Fatty fish (cod, salmon, tuna, etc), shrimp and eggs are all good sources of vitamin D.

I wouldn't say you need to supplement. However, I would try to make sure were eating other sources of those nutrients.

Almonds, molasses, broccoli, spinach (and other dark, leafy greens), dried figs, canned salmon and sardines with bones, sesame seeds, black-eyed peas and soybeans are all good sources of calcium.

Fatty fish (cod, salmon, tuna, etc), shrimp and eggs are all good sources of vitamin D.

I wouldn't say you need to supplement. However, I would try to make sure were eating other sources of those nutrients.

I eat almonds, broccoli, sesame seeds, and eggs regularly. My kids eat broccoli and eggs regularly (they don't like nuts). We also eat spinach, black-eyed peas, salmon, shrimp, and tuna occasionally. I want to increase our fish intake. The person with the concern seemed to think this wouldn't be enough.

I worry about it...

But since starting goats milk and almond butter my son has gained 20 percentile points on the growth charts in only a handful of months.

My kids are all a good weight. Not overweight but not underweight either. My youngest is 8 1/2 months old. Her height is only at the 40th percentile but weight is up around 75th. I think she's my smallest child for this age, though DS8 might have been close. He gained slowly due to unknown diet issues at the time.

You can have vitamin D levels tested. Honestly, I *would* be concerned because you live at a fairly northern altitude where it's difficult for your bodies to make vitamin D from the sun except for a few hours a day during the summer. Even running around in shorts and a t-shirt through the summer is probably not enough for your bodies to get the D they need. I'd be much less concerned about calcium, which you can get from a number of food sources.

My D levels were tested when I was pregnant, in the middle of winter, and were on the low side of ok. We spend a lot of time outside in short sleeves and shorts as soon as it starts being warm enough (like now). We don't use sunscreen because it takes a lot for us to burn.