Menu

CTY... Anyone take the SAT in 7th-8th gr...

cshell

I took it in 6th-8th, did well enough. I chose to go to a program out of Purdue (GERI, maybe?) instead of CTY, but it was an excellent experience. I was also pretty pumped to hear that I was already scoring higher than x% of college seniors. :P

And DS took it first in 6th. There's really no trick to it... you can sign up through the talent search that covers your area. A little prep is probably in order just for the format issues, if your kid hasn't done much standardized testing... and find out whether your calculator is "legal." But I wouldn't do much - the point is to find out what the kid can do without really teaching to the test. If you drop by your local high school they should have a booklet that includes a full practice test for free.

You can also sign up directly with the College Board, although you'll need that same booklet because if the kid is under 13 they can't sign up online.

I never took CTY classes or anything, and DS hasn't either, just because they're awfully pricy. If I could spend the same amount and get a fabulous European vacation... I'd rather have the vacation. :D

Please let me know what to expect....& Did you then take classes at CTY???

Give us the scoop!!:001_smile:

My ds just took the ACT on Sat to qualify for CTY. I am not planning on using them right now b/c we are happy with AoPS for math. CTY, however, goes up to higher levels than AoPS (not sure of how deep they go though.....I need to do greater research in that area.)

I had him take it b/c 7th/8th are the qualifying yrs.

Please let me know what to expect....& Did you then take classes at CTY???

Give us the scoop!!:001_smile:

My two eldest took the SAT in sixth grade and could have taken classes at Northwestern U's Center for Talent Development (CTD), but we opted not to partake.

My daughter later taught some of the engineering classes for them. She had to design the courses herself and was a little disappointed that there wasn't more planning and oversight by experienced instructors.

Having said that, some courses can be very good. For example, I'd like my youngest to take one of David White's philosophy courses at some point.

If you do decide to participate, I'd suggest you scrutinize the class -- ask questions about the instructor and the material that will be used, and if they have a syllabus.

Good luck!

I took it as a kid in 7th. Did better than the average high school student, but I was still pretty disappointed in myself. I totally freaked out and messed it up. That's when the flood of college brochures began!!!!

Advice: Work with them through some practice tests, so they won't freak. :-)

A couple of things worth noting:

1. It's not the same test I took a few (cough, cough) years ago. There is an essay section now and there are no analogies on the verbal section. I also think the level of math is slightly higher than the math from years ago. So, when advising your child be aware of any changes from the test you may remember.

2. They will send you the actual test your child took along with your child's answers *and* a solution key. No kidding. It's amazing. I still can't believe it.

3. There are a bunch of different talent programs each offering their own courses and camps. Shop around. You can join more than one.

4. You don't actually have to be a member of a talent search to test, but be aware that if you're not, then your child's score (no matter how high) may not be eligible for ceremony awards that some talent searches offer. Testing independently runs the risk that your student may miss out on some recognition. May or may not be a big deal to you, but be aware.

5. Don't overstress or over prepare. You get a better measure by letting them take the test fairly green. My daughter did practice the essay writing a little before the test and she did questions from the SAT "question a day" that they send you for about a week before she tested.