Menu

Anyone have Adrian's recommendations saved?

I've got his rec's saved; also there are several posts on this board where he lists them (just search for posts by Charon with the keyword math or algebra or proof or prove or something like that.)

Anyway, from memory, his rec's were as follows:

*Modern Algebra: A Logical Approach, Books 1&2, by Pearson & Allen

*For Geometry, he talked about the Russian Kiselev book, Solomonovich's Euclidean Geometry, Birkhoff's Basic Geometry (which is a more modern, algebraic approach), a New Math geometry book whose authors escape me atm (but I can look it up if you want), and just doing Euclid straight up, perhaps with a 19th century textbook guide - he hadn't decided at that point which way to go.

*Principles of Mathematics, 2nd ed, by Allendoerfer and Oakley (could substitute Introduction to Modern Analysis by Dolciani, Beckenbach, et al)

*Lay's Intro to Analysis book

*an abstract algebra text (he listed a few, will look them up if you like)

*the Baby Rudin analysis book

He also rec'd two logic books by Suppes - Intro to Mathematical Logic and Introduction to Logic

Anyway, I have all these (except for Geo, abstract algebra, and baby Rudin), if you have any questions.

I will try to look up the pertinent old posts.

*For Geometry, he talked about the Russian Kiselev book, Solomonovich's Euclidean Geometry, Birkhoff's Basic Geometry (which is a more modern, algebraic approach), a New Math geometry book whose authors escape me atm (but I can look it up if you want)

Moise and Downs?

Here is a list which is based on Adrian's original lists

Thanks! One note: Somonovich no longer has his old website, and I'm not sure if that Geometry is still in print.

We haven't done Mathematical Circles, but Adrian's wife mentioned another Russian math book from Perpendicular Press that we used at the pre-Algebra stage. (not for logic so much as for math).

Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes (Simmons) isn't a grad-level book. It's a (very nice) intro to differential equations on the undergraduate level, appropriate for use after calculus is completed. I'm using it with my daughter this year (I used it in college myself and loved it).

~Kathy (who really should stay off the boards when she's this busy, but just can't resist math threads:tongue_smilie:)

Karin, do you happen to remember the name? I'll be looking for another book when they finish this one - which will be quite a while ... thinking ahead. :) Thanks.

It's called Mathematics and it's sold by Perpendicular Press at http://www.perpendicularpress.com. It's done in gr 6 there, but we did it after SM 6 and it covered everything dd needed for pre-Algebra (not much. She mainly needed a year to mature more before starting Algebra, but it was NOT a waste of time as there were things in there she'd never done, such as take information and write her own word problems.) I'd like to get Mathematical Circles at some point, too, either from AMS (American Mathematical Society, where I bought one of those Geometry texts Adrian recommended) or from Amazon.