Menu

7 Habits of Effective Teens?

Many discussions, including my own, about adolescent and teen behavior on the board recently got me wondering if any one has used/read 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens--Workbook and book.

If you have used these books, give the rest of us struggling with adolescent and teen behavior some insight into the effectiveness of this book and workbook.

Thanks in advance,

Iris

We used this with our oldest about two years ago. Actually, I am thinking of doing this again this summer and inviting any teens from our neighborhood that are friends of my ds's to join us if they would want to participate. I think the material is excellent!! I do think a couple of years ago when we went through it, my son would have benefited more by having people in his age group discussing things instead of just my dh and me. Thus, why I would like to start a group.

If you have read Stephen Covey, you will have a great idea of what is covered. It is about thinking ahead and not just reacting to life. I love the material!!

Many discussions, including my own, about adolescent and teen behavior on the board recently got me wondering if any one has used/read 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens--Workbook and book.

If you have used these books, give the rest of us struggling with adolescent and teen behavior some insight into the effectiveness of this book and workbook.

Thanks in advance,

Iris

Whoaaa! They have really spun off a lot of materials since the last time I looked at the book. My dd read and discussed the book with me along with the one by Jay MacGraw (Dr. Phil's son). She preferred the Covey book but wasn't all that excited about it at age 15. They just seemed like to do lists to her. That is one child's experience.

The surprise in our rather liberal, non-religious household was fact that my oldest son loved the Harris brothers book, Do Hard Things . He said it opened his eyes to all the positives possibilities out there available for teens. He said he felt inspired not weighed down by the things "he had to do" but excited about the things "he could get to do."

I will be interested to hear about your experiences should you choose to use the Covey book.

I've got the books here, and I'm excited to use them. I'm just trying to figure out exactly *how* to implement it without making it seem to them like just one more thing to do. I'll get there, though, because it seems like such a cool program.

I have it in one of my ds14's workbox drawers ready to go after our Easter break. I didnt know there was a workbook though. Ugh. I will probably buy that now!

I havent read it. I just saw it on my shelf and decided he was probabyl ready for it.

Whoaaa! They have really spun off a lot of materials since the last time I looked at the book. My dd read and discussed the book with me along with the one by Jay MacGraw (Dr. Phil's son). She preferred the Covey book but wasn't all that excited about it at age 15. They just seemed like to do lists to her. That is one child's experience.

The surprise in our rather liberal, non-religious household was fact that my oldest son loved the Harris brothers book, Do Hard Things . He said it opened his eyes to all the positives possibilities out there available for teens. He said he felt inspired not weighed down by the things "he had to do" but excited about the things "he could get to do."

I will be interested to hear about your experiences should you choose to use the Covey book.

Lisa,

I always enjoy hearing from you!

I'd not heard of Do Hard Things. Thanks for the link. I noticed from the Amazon reviews that some listened to it on CD. I like that your son felt inspired after reading Hard Things.

Thanks to all who responded, and to those who have these books and plan to use them perhaps you could post your responses and experience on your blog for the rest of us to follow.

Frontier Mom~ I wish I had a group to do this type of thing with, but it is just me and the kids.

I am heartened to read that your kids didn't feel like you were just trying to shove something down their throat. That the kids were engaged tells me that perhaps kids needed this type of information to help them negotiate this time in their lives.

Thanks for the help,

Iris

Yes, my oldest ds just finished Do Hard Things as a book study in our church youth group. He is one of the leaders and suggested this book. It turned out to be great and they were given bracelets that say, "Do Hard Things." Once again though, this was done in a small group of about 10. This is a really good book though. The also have a website: The Rebelution with lots of good information and stories.

Also, if anyone has used this can you recommend specific ages that would find this useful?

Me too, please. My 13.5 yo is on ch. 3 of Do Hard Things and we're enjoying it. I had thought of 7 Habits for Effective Teens for grade 10 or 11? Does that sound about right or would younger be better?

I have not looked at the Effective Teens version, but the 7 Habits book is one of my favorite books of all time. I was planning to have dd read it. I didn't know there was a workbook/study guide type of thing for teens. Perhaps I'll do that instead.

I also plan to have dd read Do Hard Things. That is a great book!

There is also a younger version of 7 Habits for kids that we love as a family (mine are not yet near the age for the teen book). 7 Habit of Happy Kids; I wanted to post that just in case anyone with teens but also younger kids might be interested. We read a chapter a week and really talked about the habit being taught. I plan on doing it again as we near summer (we read it during the beginning of winter).

We are going through it with ds 11 and it's just fine for that level. We're only on chapter 3 but so far, it's been helpful for ds to know that he is not the only one who struggles with stuff. We do one chapter every Friday (but have missed the past several weeks due to traveling, etc..) When we're done, I will write more.

Thanks in advance,

Iris

We just the book from our library ( didn't realize there was a workbook too?) my son is 14. We are standing in line for Do Hard things and Start Here by the Harris brothers!!

Looking forward to hearing other reviews of these books as well! Thanks for posting!:bigear: