Menu

Singapore Questions

*Amber*

I am looking at it for a K'er and a 1st grader. So I will be using Earlybird K A & B and Primary Mathematics 1A and 1B (most likely Standard Edition). What would I need to purchase for these?

For early bird I am assuming just the textbooks and for 1A and 1B I would need the textbooks, workbooks, HIG's, and the tests?

Would the Essential Math books be beneficial for my K'er?

For early bird I am assuming just the textbooks and for 1A and 1B I would need the textbooks, workbooks, HIG's, and the tests?

Yes. But I wouldn't bother with the tests. If you really feel like you need tests, either for extra practice or to assess your dc, go ahead and get them. I bought the tests my 1st semester of SM and used them once. It just wasn't necessary.

For 1A/B definitely get the HIG, Text and Workbook. Anything else is supplemental material. My dd uses the Extra Practice books. I found 3B tests on paperbackswap so I do have those, but we haven't started 3B yet, so I haven't used them.

My ds used Essential Math and we like it.

Anyone else?

Not that these responses aren't helpful :)

Are you asking about manipulatives..or just books. If it is just books, all you would really need are the workbooks, textbooks and the HIG's. Normally I wouldn't say you need a teacher's guide (because the concepts are so easy), but if you don't learn to teach your children the way that Singapore teaches, when they get a little bit older, the method will get confusing to them...if they learn it young, it will be so much better. So, get the HIG's and use them.

As far as manipulatives, many things you can make, find or create at home...but if you go to the Singapore website, there is a page that lists the manipulatives by book that would be helpful in owning. IF you are unable to find it, let me know...I can probably dig it up again.

Kathy

We like Essential Math better than the EB set in this house. :) We own both.

:iagree:

For Primary Mathematics get the HIG, textbook, and workbook. We also use the CWP a semester behind.

In our home, Singapore is used along with Miquon and Japanese Mathematics. I don't try and match things up.

Blessings,

Melinda

We used the SE Earlybird, and Essential Math wasn't even on my radar screen.

In retrospect, I think I'd probably go the other way. But this is based on very limited samples and forum reviews.

While I very much like Primary Mathematics, I thought EB was just OK.

Think Miquon is a much better, more interesting, more age-appropriate (yet more challenging) and overall a more efficacious introduction to the math model found in Primary Mathematics than the Singapore materials in EB.

As to Level One. The inclusion of the IPs from the US Edition series (there are no SE IPs yet) was a boon because the extra challenge was welcome. We also have the old CWP which we've begun recently (by son will be finishing 1A today) because he is on the young side for these (5.5).

The new CWPs were released (up to Level 3) in just the past week or so.

The HIGs I think will prove themselves quite valuable for most parents. I don't follow all the suggestions, for example preferring to model with Cuisenaire Rods instead of linking cubes, but overall the ideas are very sound. They offer good suggestions for activities, and let the parent/teacher know what they might be missing were they using the Textbooks and Workbooks alone.

Bill

I am looking at it for a K'er and a 1st grader. So I will be using Earlybird K A & B and Primary Mathematics 1A and 1B (most likely Standard Edition). What would I need to purchase for these?

Would the Essential Math books be beneficial for my K'er?

I recommend the following for PM-1, at the very least:

- PM-1A & 1B Textbooks, Workbooks, HIGs or the teacher guides that go with your series of choice

- IP-1A & 1B

I also like Challenging Word Problems (CWP-1). But if you can only get one extra, I'd get Intensive Practice over CWP; it has various kinds of math problems, many that are similar to the format in the PM Workbooks, and most topics have a section of word problems that similar in difficulty to the ones in CWP.

Other SM supplements I have and use, but use less frequently (you can do without these):

Extra Practice

Mathematics Counts

i-Excel

HTH!