Menu

Chicken pox and incubation period

I intentionally exposed dd2 to chicken pox on Thursday. I confirmed with the nurse (we have a telephone health line for questions like that) before we did so that if I did it, she would not be contagious today with my nephew. But I forgot to ask what the incubation period is generally. How long until I know if she is going to get it from this exposure?

oh great! I thought if this exposure worked she would be pretty much over it by then (we move in 20 days lol). I am hoping this exposure works though, it took me a year to find someone who actually had teh CP, everyone I know is doing the vax so no one is getting it anymore. Although this boy had the vax and still got it, so we went and had a play date over there and had him hugging and playing with dd as much as we could without making him more uncomfortable than the CP already was kwim.

When my oldest dd was 14, she came down with CP -- I had 2nd oldest dd (then 13) stay in her room with her, everything to expose her so that she would get them.

DD#2 never did get them.

Hope this all works out better for you than it did for me.

It's weird isn't it. Everyone says how contagious CP is, they freak out and get teh vax etc but it is harder to catch than you think. I managed to expose ds6 when he was about 1.5 yrs old or so. DD got shingles on her chest so I had her play topless with him so that he would crawl all over her, hugging etc and he did catch it. I am hoping that dd will be as easy to get it.

It's funny as a mom and dealing with CP. For most illnesses I am not wanting my kids sick, do what I can to keep them healthy etc but here I am hoping hoping and praying she actually gets them. Bizarre dynamics when dealing with an illness that has a vax available, but would rather your child have a natural immunity due to exposure.

It's weird isn't it. Everyone says how contagious CP is, they freak out and get teh vax etc but it is harder to catch than you think. I managed to expose ds6 when he was about 1.5 yrs old or so. DD got shingles on her chest so I had her play topless with him so that he would crawl all over her, hugging etc and he did catch it. I am hoping that dd will be as easy to get it.

It's funny as a mom and dealing with CP. For most illnesses I am not wanting my kids sick, do what I can to keep them healthy etc but here I am hoping hoping and praying she actually gets them. Bizarre dynamics when dealing with an illness that has a vax available, but would rather your child have a natural immunity due to exposure.

I agree completely! My dds did not get the vax - I don't there was one available yet. Oldest got CP, 2nd oldest did not despite being exposed numerous times. 2nd oldest (now 29) went to med school and didn't show any CP titer - she was made to get the vax - two weeks later, all h*ll broke loose - first she came down with CP, then two weeks after that, she came down with shingles - and then it was an awful cycle of shingles every three months or so. A whole host of other health issues appeared and 7 years later, we are finally gtting a grip on it - we still have a long road ahead of us, but I am still all for natural immunity anytime!

Let us know if this all works out for you.

Edited by MariannNOVA

Mt twins got it one after the other, two weeks apart...then we waited for the toddler to show signs. Three weeks after the last twin was over it she FINALLY broke out in pox.....we noticed them at a playground. We had her in public since we didn't think she would get them. So, yeah, up to 21 days!!!

And they are contagious before they show symptoms. :)

btw - I exposed my younger but the older had had the vax (2 doses) they both contracted it within days of each other and the older had it worse. Our doc was excited because he hadn't seen wild chicken pox in a couple of years. It was just under 2 weeks after the exposure that we saw the first spots.

Shingles is scary. My sis had that as a teen, after having CP as a kid.

My oldest is vaxed (was going to delay but they snuck it in), but youngest is not. My doc just told me to schedule that one whenever I was ready for her to come down with it ... he fully expects it to cause CP anyway.

I'd rather have her get it as a child, even the weaker vax variety, than catch it older ... so I guess I need to keep an eye on this one. But she's only 5 so far.

She reacted so nasty to one vax (I am not sure what) when she was a baby that I am really pushing delaying hers when I can.

I guess, actually, she may have to get the vax next summer ... it's required for school around here, so also vaxes are required for lots of camps and things, and next year she'll be 'school age' and expected to have these things to participate. This summer we can still bypass that, I think, since she's caught up on most by now.

Sigh. Why is health so stinkin' complicated?