Menu

Poetry suggestions?

Im looking to start a poetry study with my kids next year (together if possible, but for my 7th grader for sure.) Is there such a thing? I don't want it with english or reading because we already have that picked out, but they both very lightly touch on poetry. I am looking for something to go indepth. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Im looking to start a poetry study with my kids next year (together if possible, but for my 7th grader for sure.) Is there such a thing? I don't want it with english or reading because we already have that picked out, but they both very lightly touch on poetry. I am looking for something to go indepth. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I'm planning a poetry unit for my kids as soon as I can get it together - mostly for the older two who are in 6th - I'm having a feeling this might end up running into the summer months... I've got lots of great resources that I'm trying to figure out how to use together. The ones I'm most impressed with are from Royal Fireworks Press:

Building Poetry (or the next book in the series, A World of Poetry - everything's reviewed in the next book) These cover a study of poetry - rhyme schemes, meter, alliteration, onomatopaeia, consonance, etc.

Keepers of the Flame - these are lesson plans having to do with poetry, and they look fantastic. Each lesson has a particular theme, and there are suggested poems to study, thinking questions for the kids to answer, and then a poetry writing exercise with sample poems written by middle schoolers given the same exercise.

I also have Linguistic Analysis through Poetry Memorization from IEW. I'm trying to figure out how this will fit in.

Building Poetry (or the next book in the series, A World of Poetry - everything's reviewed in the next book) These cover a study of poetry - rhyme schemes, meter, alliteration, onomatopaeia, consonance, etc.

Keepers of the Flame - these are lesson plans having to do with poetry, and they look fantastic. Each lesson has a particular theme, and there are suggested poems to study, thinking questions for the kids to answer, and then a poetry writing exercise with sample poems written by middle schoolers given the same exercise.

I also have Linguistic Analysis through Poetry Memorization from IEW. I'm trying to figure out how this will fit in.

I really like those! I will be looking into them thank you so much!

Here's a listing, by title of many, many poems from the Early Modern period. (I'm not sure what, if any, period you're looking at doing.....)

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Category:Early_modern_poetry

We are going to be doing middle ages next year in history, but I will keep this in mind for sure when we do early modern the following year!

Classical Writing has poetry studies at three different levels.

http://www.classicalwriting.com/

I had been looking at classical writing's poetry, is that something I can JUST do their poetry and nothing else? Or does the poetry fit into the rest of the curriculum?

Does anybody know where I can see samples of Classical Writing poetry? I am looking at poetry for beginners (it says 5-6th grade, but with this being her first year at it I want to start at the beginning, bad mom, I know)

Thanks

Is this it? http://www.rainbowresource.com/pictures/001587/1270535130-1809771

For the last few years we've had a poem of the month. I print the poem, the name and photo of the writer and I put it all up on a bulletin board. We read the poem daily, sing it, act it out, listen and watch the poem on youtube, read a bio, read other works by the author.

At the end of the month we put it into our poetry folder and review all the old poems. I think this technique has worked well for us because it only takes a few minutes a day, plenty of review, and they are gently learning about the unique style of each poet. I think they really like putting a face to the name too. For the poets that we've done more than one poem of, I use a younger or older photo so they can see them at different stages of their lives.

Next year I plan to add the names, photos and the dates which they lived and died to our timelines. I'm thinking of getting some nice little journals and have them slowly start copying all of the poems we've done so far. I just bought this old poetry book at the library book store, and

I realized it has a wonderful introduction. I was so inspired by her words, the way she explained poetry collection books and how they reflect the compilers tastes and interests. I thought "Hey!, We've built our own volume here." My eyes have opened up to taking the time to read the introductions in my poetry books, some of them are so well written and give just enough info to keep the kids attention. We're starting SmithHand cursive so I was hoping once they got comfortable with it I'd start that project.

I'll most likely add MCT poetry too.

I don't want poetry to become work, especially since it's an actual pleasure in our lives.

:lurk5: