Menu

Could we talk about writing programs, please.

michellem

I am looking for a very simple straight forward writing program for a 7th Grader that doesn't require a lot of teaching or help from me. Also one that would not be hated by a reluctant writer. Could anyone suggest something ?

More info below:

I have not been very good about following through with a writing program. I have a 7th grade son. We have done Rod and Staff Grammar for Grades 3 - 6so he did the writing that was taught with that series (not much writing in my opinion). This year we have done Saxon Grammar and Writing Grade 7. We have just finished the grammar part and next week we will be starting the writing portion. It doesn't look very fun, however. I own Jump-In and Wordsmith Apprentice, but haven't used either of them.

Thanks so much,

Michelle

Writing Strands is pretty self instructing. My kids like it ok. We also use Rod and Staff, and if they learned how to write a compare/contrast essay in their book, I will have them write more c/c essays in other subjects. I try to keep reviewing the writing concepts they have already learned to really develop the skill. If they are a bit rusty on that particular skill, then I have them look it back up in their Rod and Staff books to review. It seems to be working.

I also have Format Writing that I will implement later. I really like that book.. very straight forward!

They are both self-guided, very gentle, and both worked well with my older son who isn't fond of writing, and younger son who really struggles with writing. Frankly, since neither is really "into" writing, I sit down with them, read aloud the teaching/instruction portion, and then assign what I think is a reasonable amount of writing to get done.

We tend to break writing into smaller "bites" to make it more palettable (sp??) to reluctant writers. Several years back, we did a lot of practice on paragraph writing using ideas from IEW's key word outlining technique. That has helped us now, as at least the boys have an idea of paragraph structure. But, I didn't use the whole program, just ideas from seeing Andrew Pudewa at a homeschool conference; it is a very one-on-one type of writiing instruction.

Another option might be Write Shop 1. It does require more of you, the teacher, but it is very gentle, incremental, and thorough.

Another option is Put That In Writing; it is very formal in tone, elevated in language, and also includes grammar instruction/exercises (which we skip), and its examples of good writing are (in my opinion) dull and repetitive. However, it is for students grades 7-12, and the first level focuses on writing a single paragraph, and then various types of paragraphs. A number of people here have said they are successfully using it. I'm not sure I would just hand it to a 7th grader, esp. a reluctant writer. You'd probably want to at least go over the teaching/instruction portion together.

What about an online writing program? Or a local tutor or writing co-op? That takes you out of the picture entirely, and sometimes students work a whole lot harder for someone other than mom. : )

I extend my empathy. Writing has been the toughest subject here, because I tend to be a natural writer and have no idea how to teach something that just comes to me; couple that with 2 boys who have NO motivation to write, and well, it's sometimes best just to draw a veil over THAT picture... LOL! BEST of luck in finding what works for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Are you wanting a writing program that is laid out for you, the teacher, to implement? Or one that is self-directed? Truthfully, how can any solid writing instruction *not* require a lot of teaching and help from the parent? Unless it's outsourced? Aside from math, I find teaching writing my most time-intensive subject. It's just the nature of the beast. I find my dc, even the intuitive writers, need lots of instruction on how to choose a topic, how to form a paragrah or transition or conclude or write more succinctly.

This year, I did use the IEW DVDs which cut way down on my teaching time. It wasn't my first choice, but we joined a co-op and I actually came to like IEW. Pudewa gives detailed instruction about the format, the writing and the assignment. But I still spent lots of time helping my dc work through edits. And there's somewhat of a learning curve that some find in implementing IEW's openers and dress-ups, so that can be teacher intensive as well. I do think IEW can help a reluctant writer because it provides the form and direction. And, personally, I think Pudewa appeals to boys. He doesn't require a lot of that flowery *tell-me-how-you-feel* kind of writing. But, other than outsourcing, I've yet to find a truly self-directed writing program!

HTH,

Lisa

Truthfully, how can any solid writing instruction *not* require a lot of teaching and help from the parent? Unless it's outsourced? Aside from math, I find teaching writing my most time-intensive subject. It's just the nature of the beast.

Lisa

\I agree with this. I i have tried many writing programs over the last 5 years hoping for the one that makes my son writes well. My daughter writes well and easily with them all. The one that had my son writing best is CW, and I burned out on the teacher intensiveness of that.

In the end, I dont think finding the miracle right curriculum is the key. I think the key is surrendering to the subject areas that need he most one on one attention for each child, and giving it.

Of course, some programs will click more than others, but i think its a trap to hope you can give a writing program to a child and they will produce good writing.

I would use Jump In, since you have it. It is designed for reluctant writers of your son's age. I would try that before buying yet another one.

(and i am talking to myself here, too! How much easier it is to research and buy curriculum than it is to sit next to a resistant child day after day and implement them!)

How much easier it is to research and buy curriculum than it is to sit next to a resistant child day after day and implement them!)

Don't know why, but it soooo much easier to help out someone else's child who is struggling with something. How 'bout we trade -- I'll sit with your resistant child, and you can sit with mine! ; )

I'm kidding (mostly). : ) I think the plane fares would do us in. lol! Warmest regards, Lori D.

WOW ! Thanks for the great insight. I think you all are right, it is not about finding the perfect writing program.....but me sitting down and spending the time helping him. I was hoping for a quick fix that I could order from Rainbow Resource Center.

THanks again,

Michelle