Menu

Spinning.....

Today was hard, my 6dd was so irritated with me (attitude) regarding school/reading time but when I gave her some choices for book reads, The Hobbit, being one I thought was a hard read for her, she choose it and all the attitude was gone. She lit up! She read it easily. I haven't tested her (IQ) and not sure I want to (advantages?) but I am really beginning to feel inadequate to meet her educational needs. My problem is that I am slow to want to push ahead. She is young and I don't make her work that hard. We are at a standstill with math for she is reluctant to memorize multiplication tables for 3A Singapore work (could complete all sections not involving mult/div). She has done add/sub problems with carrying/borrowing now for months, frankly she is completely bored with it. Basic time/measurements done. Spelling is okay, behind her reading level, for now. Loves SOTW (3hrs wk)and we are doing various science projects/lessons (3hr wk). She reads animal encyclopedias and books for fun. We stopped FLL for it was a waste of time. I am about to purchase MCT. She was diagramming sentences for fun the other day. Loves Latin however I have been not keeping it going. I am thinking ahead, what am I going to do with her when she is 10yrs? She says she wants to go to college when she is 12yrs....what kid talks like that? Try as I might not to,I do end up dumbing down lessons to fit my 8dd who has some LDs. Teaching my 6dd is tricky for she is still 6 acting like a 6yr old. Help....feeling my head spin! Am I dumbing her down? Should I get her tested? Why would that be helpful other than to ease my mind?

I'd start challenging her more! I know another little girl who didn't like math and stalled out with multiplication when she was about that age. She later really liked Life of Fred math. Have you tried any of it? It's good for bright kids. Same little girl is about 9/10 now and doing Algebra I with us this year.....

I have a 3rd grade DS who is very much 3rd grade in some respects. It's really hard to find balance when you could be doing years of material with a child, but you don't want them to rush to college level either and have plenty of time to be a kid.

One thing we've done with math is I let my DS do one exercise of Singapore a day. He can use a multiplication table if it helps. But then other math is online games getting his speed up so he's really ready to reach "real" algebra (which we will be at with a couple of months with him like it or not!) I have also introduced algebra concepts as opportunity presents itself. I let him figure out programming (Alice and Scratch) and research his own science projects (this year - aerodynamics and physics based).

On testing, open ended achievement data was helpful for us in terms of planning and in terms of being more "unschool" friendly for much of day at our house. My son tested 2-6 years ahead of grade level and that was after 2 years of PS (he did ceiling the GT screener at school), and 1 year of extremely laid back homeschooling. We could be doing a lot more, but we're doing well with doing a "deep and slow" approach. Not every GT child is the same, so YMMV! :-)

Edited by kck

My dd loves math but I have not really pushed fact memorization for multiplication and division. I let her use a multiplication chart when she doesn't know the answer, and she has picked up at least half of her facts just by using them so frequently. It really hasn't slowed her down, and I figure that at some point in the future I can quiz her to see where the gaps are and spend some concentrated time focusing on filling them in. For now, I just let her set the pace with new math concepts, which keeps her very happy.

You aren't inadequate by any means!

I agree with others that you should let her move ahead in math with a handy multiplication table at hand. She will absorb those facts quickly.

You can also pique her interest with math game workbooks, such as the ones put out by Highlights called Mathmania. Prufrock Press and Critical Thinking also publish fun math game workbooks and puzzle books. (My kids enjoyed the Highlights puzzle books that came with Which Way USA and the Top Secret World series -- they quickly figured out who was better at what kind of puzzle and would collaborate on finishing the books together.)

Don't worry about what the future holds for her, simply enjoy her now and keep her surrounded by good books, games and puzzles. If you keep feeding her interests, and letting her choose things that make her light up, you won't be dumbing down anything for her.

Are you on the TAGMAX list? There has been a ton of lengthy discussion about the pros and cons of testing. What I have gathered is that testing at this age is only helpful if it uncovers something that you don't already know. (Later on, testing may help you take advantage of specific programs that require testing.) You know she is way ahead, but you don't know how far ahead. Testing might help you pin down her educational needs. I have seen many people remark that without testing, they would never have considered giving their young children such advanced material.

Tracy

Perhaps as an aside, to learn the multiplication facts, have her count by that number saying the multiples or answers only. Make it a game to see how fasy she can say them. This is great for the one with LD issues as well.

Otherwise I'd do what others have said with math enrich and let her move on. My Dd slowed down in Singapore 4B (age 7) and again when we hit Algebra (age 10 -mostly attitude issues not math ability). I try to balance age, desire and challenge.

Thanks ladies...I really needed to hear that it was ok to just let her use a multiplication table rather than memorize facts before proceeding. She understands the principles of multi/divi but did not want to sit memorizing them...duh! I gave her a table and she flew....she did about 10ps of Singapore 3A (we skipped all those add/sub problems) then played some math on-line games using multiplication, and then went on to play Top This/It. She was so happy. I can see that she will memorize multiplication/division facts quickly doing math using a table. Thanks again ladies for the advise!

Push hard for a limited amount of time a day.

DS's favorite subject is math. We do it for 40 min a day. He's required to work hard and not goof off (just because it's his favorite doesn't mean he likes every activity...) and I try to keep the work level appropriate. He typically does 1-2 weeks worth of material in 6th grade math in that time or 2-3 days of NEM.

I haven't tested her (IQ) and not sure I want to (advantages?) but I am really beginning to feel inadequate to meet her educational needs. My problem is that I am slow to want to push ahead.

I feel completely inadequate sometimes, too.

We are doing a Sonlight Core every year and that really takes up a big chunk of time - and they all enjoy it. Have you looked at their book selection?

I'm also trying to add a lot of hands-on projects.

Our 2nd grader has been really crabby lately, so we're putting her in a Pottery Class (not to sound weird or anything) - but I think she would enjoy some independent artistic expression.