Menu

Tell Me About Tokyo Shoseki Math

Crimson Wife

I'm not going to look. I'm not going to look. I'm not going to look. I'm not going to look. I'm not going to look. I'm not going to look. I'm not going to look. I'm not going to look.

Me neither.:leaving:Well, I HAVE to look, kwim? And, I wish there were sample pages to see - are there sample pages to see?

Crimson Wife: Am I confusing you with someone else, but don't you like the Singapore Intensive Practice and other supplements? What has prompted you to take a look at these?

Edited by MariannNOVA

Crimson Wife: Am I confusing you with someone else, but don't you like the Singapore Intensive Practice and other supplements? What has prompted you to take a look at these?

Because I'm a Type A personality and math is the subject I feel most insecure about :blushing: It also happens to be my DH's strongest subject and the one that may be a "dealbreaker" when it comes to convincing him to allow us to continue to HS. Whenever he grumbles about sending the kids to a traditional school, it's nearly always due to some math-related issue.

I really like Singapore IP and CWP but even with the HIG I'm not sure about the main program. So far it's been okay since the chapters my DD has done are basically review & extension of what she learned in Right Start B/C. We haven't tackled any new concepts yet.

I keep looking at MM but DH really likes the idea of Singapore because of the whole international test scores thing. Japanese math I suspect he'd also like.

At the risk of sounding like a math junkie :D I'm intrigued by the Tokyo Shoseki series. I read the older threads about it but I'd love to hear some updated thoughts. :bigear:

Hi, DD is at the tail-end of 3b in the series, what are you looking for I would be happy to contribute 'two cents'? :)

Edited by Ray

We currently use Singapore, always have. Can anyone compare this to Singapore? My one complaint about Singapore is that there isn't enough explanation in the text book about different concepts.

I only have Tokyo Shoseki Level 1 and the corresponding Koiku Dojinsha Workbooks. Together these two are similar to the Textbook/Workbook organization of materials in Singapore.

If anything, there is less "explanation" in the Japanese math materials at this level than in Singapore. The concepts are well demonstrated "pictorially," but there is minimal instruction. One needs to be able to be able to expand on the explanations if need be.

Like Singapore expects a teacher to make "stories" out of the Textbook, so does Tokyo Shoseki at Level 1.

Bill

Some things I like

a.more “oh, I see”

b.less “ugh, I don’t get it”

c.familiar topics

d.clear order of topics

e.fundamental topics

f.scaffolding of topics

g.appearance of workbook and texts

h.Super Secret Math Techniques

Some things I don’t like

i.Easy to just ‘do’ the workbook problems

j.Pre-work the lesson beforehand

k.Rarely do ‘j.’

l.No text book answer key- note ‘j.’

m.No Super Secret Math Techniques

For those researching these books: http://science.kennesaw.edu/~twatanab/QuEST07.pdf

Edited by Ray
Adding hyperlink