Menu

If I have one year (maybe two) to prepare a child to go to school for 8th or 9th grade. Which one of these would you choose? Is there something better?

It seems like a class that focuses more on biology/chemistry (BJU) would be more appropriate than one that spends time on earth science (Apologia). She is not an earth science gal.

She is science minded, and wants to work with animals specifically horses. She'll be in 7th grade next year, and we have not decided if we will homeschool highschool or not.

For those of you who have used BJU Life Science, would you share your experiences? I've heard it is teacher intensive and tough. I would love to know more specific details. If we used the DVD/Homesat option, would that make science more like independent work for her?

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

We've used BJU Life Science this year - no DVDs. Its been a great year. Definitely the most science learned in a year ever! Ds is really a physical science/chemistry guy so I was afraid he wouldn't like a year of intensive life science and he ended up really liking it. We've done almost all the labs, dissections, you name it.

My only complaint is that there were not enough pictures to take us through some of the labs and I had to get some backup information from the internet.

To teach it, I just read it and we discuss it - just like we would any other subject. I do have a strong science background, but I don't think the material is unapproachable for the typical homeschool mom. I don't like the layout of the TM as well as I did the elementary books, but I got used to it after the first month or so.

Feel free to ask any specific questions or PM me.

Thanks, Debbie!

We've done Real Science For Kids and the Apologia Vol. 3 book Land Animals on the Sixth Day last year and this year. If we went with BJU, I feel like it would be the most challenging science *ever* judging from what I've read on this board. I'm a little intimidated but at the same time, it sounds like it would be an appropriate (and hopefully fun) jump into logic science.

I would not assume I could teach this class, and I want it to be as independent as possible..... trying to make steps towards independence. That is why I would use the DVDs. The expense.... ugh.... but to get the most bang for the buck means a lot to me. Thorough science, experiments, microscope work, professional teacher: this might go far as far as teaching her how to think and study goes.

I have two other kids who will be in 6th and 2nd grades next year. If I went with the DVD option, I think I would let the 6th grader watch the lesson but then do a more WTM approach of reading a separate book and notebooking/report writing. I would try to follow the BJU scope and sequence and do "fun" science with the 2nd grader to keep science on his level and all of us together.

Does this sound doable or too lofty?

I do think that sounds do-able :001_smile:. My ds was independent in his reading and studying for this. I didn't do a lot of prep - just discussion and labs. If you had a DVD teacher (or online) I think it would be open and go. FWIW, my 5th grader sat in for quite a few labs. Some overlapped with what she happened to be studying, sometimes she was just interested. I think your 6th grader could get a lot out of it, done WTM style and not pushed through the test etc.

Debbie,

How many days/week do you do BJU Life Science? How long do you spend on lessons/experiments? What is your routine/schedule like?

I do think that sounds do-able :001_smile:. My ds was independent in his reading and studying for this. I didn't do a lot of prep - just discussion and labs. If you had a DVD teacher (or online) I think it would be open and go. FWIW, my 5th grader sat in for quite a few labs. Some overlapped with what she happened to be studying, sometimes she was just interested. I think your 6th grader could get a lot out of it, done WTM style and not pushed through the test etc.

I had every intention of doing BJU Life Science in 7th grade. I purchased it and the lab kit. I had used BJU science from 1st grade - 6th. That was the one subject I was completely sure about our direction. We did not make it out of the first chapter. I found it dry, difficult to teach, and theologically "heavy handed". I hated it. Dd hated it. I thought perhaps it was just the first chapter, so I read ahead and did lesson planning for several chapters. It just wasn't going to work for us. We switched to Apologia General. I did not like the Apologia elementary series so I never expected to use their upper level material. It was a fabulous year! Dd loved science. I mean, really loved science for the first time. She volunteered to do extra research. The section on archeology really grabbed her attention. She did extra research and we added more labs to that section. The switch was the best thing we could have done.

We have not used BJU science but we have used Apologia General, Physical, Biology, Chemistry, and Advanced Biology. I love the Apologia series and two of my children have been able to use them independently. We found Chemistry to be the most difficult for them to use independently. My oldest is now in her third year of college and was well prepared in the sciences. I think General Science would give a good foundation/prep for going on to high school if you decide on that option.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Holly - I did skip the first chapter for that reason. We didn't like the overbearing Christian tone which I hadn't had a problem with in BJU 5 & 6. We also skipped the chapter on Creation science and revamped the one on Evolution (just too biased). I am a Christian, but not young earth. It was just too heavy handed. The science was so good, I was willing to put up with it though. We are switching to secular science next year though. I have the Earth Science set already, but since I'm not young earth I think I will have just too much conflict with it.

As to our schedule, we do 4 days a week 1 hr/day. On Friday we spend half a day at orchestra, so we don't have much time for anything else. Ds usually had a small reading assignment or something for science that day, but it was not as much as we did the other days. Maybe a total of 4.5 hrs/week. We will finish the book, but skipped a couple chapters as stated above.

Debbie,

What secular science will you use? I ask just for comparative reasons. Our ultimate goal is to have a great science program for our kids. We are Christians and would present a Christain perspective no matter what. It's important to us to have a compatible presentation of science for our children... (for example, the names of the parts of an atom would be the same whether studying it from a Christian text or secular, but the layout of the text and language used would help us determine which is best for us.)

Holly - I did skip the first chapter for that reason. We didn't like the overbearing Christian tone which I hadn't had a problem with in BJU 5 & 6. We also skipped the chapter on Creation science and revamped the one on Evolution (just too biased). I am a Christian, but not young earth. It was just too heavy handed. The science was so good, I was willing to put up with it though. We are switching to secular science next year though. I have the Earth Science set already, but since I'm not young earth I think I will have just too much conflict with it.

As to our schedule, we do 4 days a week 1 hr/day. On Friday we spend half a day at orchestra, so we don't have much time for anything else. Ds usually had a small reading assignment or something for science that day, but it was not as much as we did the other days. Maybe a total of 4.5 hrs/week. We will finish the book, but skipped a couple chapters as stated above.

My son is doing BJU Life. He loves it!! He doesn't think it is hard, but it is time consuming - luckily, he doesn't mind. I am using the old Homesat videos - Mrs. Vick. She is awesome and he has done very well with this.

He is also reading the Apologia General that a neighbor and friend gave me. He is just a little "Sciency" and is doing this totally on his own at breakfast and likes it too. He's just weird - loves boring stuff!! :>)

I'm planning on continuing BJU for Earth and Space and then Physical. Not sure after that - will probably switch to Apologia for the more do-able labs at home - more homeschool friendly, I think!

Oh, he pretty much has to do Science 5 days a week, but it hasn't always happened - he is a little behind. We didn't realize this at the beginning of the year. So, we have skipped 2-3 chapters on watching and he just read and took the test.

We will be doing Prentice Hall Physical Science with Earth & Space Science: Concepts in Action http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZ16f&filter_161=&filter_423=6732&filter_422=&filter_424=&filter_281=&filter_425=&programFilterTypeList=161%2C423%2C422%2C424%2C281%2C425&PMDbSiteid=2781&PMDbSolutionid=6724&PMDbSubSolutionid=&PMDbCategoryid=814&&PMDbProgramID=52885 next year. Its a high school level book, but I think he is well prepared to make the jump after using BJU Life Science. We're looking forward to it. My ds doesn't just love science, but he likes it and it comes very easy to him. From there I will be able to go on to honors Biology in 9th (Miller Levine is my current plan), Chem in 10th, Physics in 11th and ds can choose his own direction in 12th. If we do BJU's cycle, we need Physical Science in 9th which sets us a year behind and leaves no room to pursue the interest of the student which will be different for each of my kids.

I agree that science is science. We're doing anatomy right now and the parts of the body work the same way in a Christian science text as they do in a secular one :D. There are things I enjoy about teaching science from a Christian perspective. I do believe that God is the creator and is in control and I like having that perspective. Its the forcing of every topic to somehow be part of the young/old earth argument that I find frustrating. I suppose that bothers me because I am on the wrong side of the argument from publishers like BJU and Apologia:lol:.

Thanks everyone! I called BJU today, and they will send a sample week DVD to me to view. I hope this is a good fit for us.... I want it to be. I'll compare BJU with Apologia and Prentice Hall just to see which one I like best. CPO is another one I've considered. Their life science program looks interesting.

Debbie, I get frustrated when creationists and evolutionists argue with each other too. I feel more comfortable with the creationists just because I believe God created the heavens and the earth, and I feel a little creepy when the evolutionists weave their perspectives into science. When they argue, though, they all act like children.

Whichever we go with-Christian text or secular- we're looking for the best to communicate science to our children.

Please keep the comments coming. I'm still interested in which science best prepares jr. high for high school work.:001_smile:

Well I've been reading this whole thread, thinking about the online vs. dvd for the BJU Life Science, and then realized no one really delved into the issue of transferring into a ps science sequence. You need to contact the school you'd be considering for 8th or 9th and find out what science their college-prep tracks do those years. That way you can do the prerequisite courses to be ready for them if you decide to go. Some schools are going to a physics first approach, meaning they do physics (yes!) in 9th grade. Some do biology for the advanced track and earth science for the regular in 9th. They may expect those kids already to have done certain courses (earth science, physical science, whatever).

Very good point Elizabeth. I have 2 friends who are dealing with this issue now. One is going private Christian school, the other public. Neither the Christian school nor the public school would accept Apologia Physical Science as a high school credit. They said it did not contain enough evolutionary science (yes! even the Christian school rejected it) to be considered a full earth science credit. I suppose the other sciences would have to be evaluated as well.

My son's used BJU distance learning for seventh grade this year. His favorite subject is the Life Science with Mrs. Vick. He does it mostly independantly, I only grade his work. I think your dd. would love it as well, and it's all updated for the 3rd edition.

Very good point Elizabeth. I have 2 friends who are dealing with this issue now. One is going private Christian school, the other public. Neither the Christian school nor the public school would accept Apologia Physical Science as a high school credit. They said it did not contain enough evolutionary science (yes! even the Christian school rejected it) to be considered a full earth science credit. I suppose the other sciences would have to be evaluated as well.

Amazing! I appreciate this point.

I can hardly believe I'm discussing ps because we've always homeschooled. My kids don't want to go to ps, but I won't even pretend that I can teach upper level courses. I have a couple of "homeschool highschool" workshops lined up in the next few months that I will attend. If I could "manage" upper level courses, then that would be our ticket to keep homeschooling. I don't mind saying, however, that homeschooling highschool really intimidates me.

I'll certainly take these last two comments to heart. Thanks for the heads up.

Well I've been reading this whole thread, thinking about the online vs. dvd for the BJU Life Science, and then realized no one really delved into the issue of transferring into a ps science sequence. You need to contact the school you'd be considering for 8th or 9th and find out what science their college-prep tracks do those years. That way you can do the prerequisite courses to be ready for them if you decide to go. Some schools are going to a physics first approach, meaning they do physics (yes!) in 9th grade. Some do biology for the advanced track and earth science for the regular in 9th. They may expect those kids already to have done certain courses (earth science, physical science, whatever).

Elizabeth, thank you for getting back to my original question. All of the discussions to day have been so helpful. With your point in mind, a broader (and even secular) 7th grade science might be more appropriate. Ok... back to the drawing board.:001_huh:

Sweet Alabama, I think you missed my point. I DON'T think you need necessarily to go secular. I went to a cs from 6th-8th that used BJU and had NO trouble going to a ps for 9th. Obviously if you are trying to get them to recognize stuff you put on a transcript as high school level work they'll feel free to criticize. But if you're bringing in 7th and 8th gr work, they're most likely just going to take it at face value.

What I was referring to is that each school district has its sequence. If you want her to place in a certain place in that sequence, you have to prepare for that. On the other hand, it sounds like your real issue is trying to sort out whether you can handle homeschooling high school. Haven't been there myself yet, lol, but I evaluated transcripts for a major christian university for a year and can assure you that MANY people homeschool high school, meaning you can too! Apologia is fine, BJU is fine. You have so many good options these days. Have you started reading on the high school boards here? There is plenty of discussion over there about science. If your heart is in homeschooling, I would stick with it. You'll be able to find resources to make it work. :)

Sweet Alabama, I think you missed my point. I DON'T think you need necessarily to go secular. I went to a cs from 6th-8th that used BJU and had NO trouble going to a ps for 9th. Obviously if you are trying to get them to recognize stuff you put on a transcript as high school level work they'll feel free to criticize. But if you're bringing in 7th and 8th gr work, they're most likely just going to take it at face value.

What I was referring to is that each school district has its sequence. If you want her to place in a certain place in that sequence, you have to prepare for that. On the other hand, it sounds like your real issue is trying to sort out whether you can handle homeschooling high school. Haven't been there myself yet, lol, but I evaluated transcripts for a major christian university for a year and can assure you that MANY people homeschool high school, meaning you can too! Apologia is fine, BJU is fine. You have so many good options these days. Have you started reading on the high school boards here? There is plenty of discussion over there about science. If your heart is in homeschooling, I would stick with it. You'll be able to find resources to make it work. :)

Elizabeth,

I've just been looking at Alabama's courses of study, and at first glance, I'm in good shape if I choose life science for 7th. The Alabama COS lists: 7th grade Life Science; 8th Physical Science; 9th Physical Science core (I don't know the difference between the 8th and 9th physical science courses); 10th biology; 11th chemistry; 12 physics.

I'm certainly in a new level of homeschooling. I feel a little like a fish out of water. I am grateful for so many like yourself for timely help. Thanks again.