Menu

reading about all the spelling options makes my head spin!

Pster

help me decide....

I have a 4th gr dd who reads much higher than her grade level.

Her spelling, however, is not good.

We've done the ETC books.

We are doing a free online program right now which is challenging for her - but if she doesn't have the spelling rules - how is she going to spell them?

What would be the best program for her?

If possible - something not too teacher intensive.

I don't know what to do but she definitely needs the spelling practice.

Megawords? help!

ty!

My son reads much higher than grade level, and he also has spelling issues. I'm trained in the Wilson Reading method which WORKS, but it's very teacher-intensive and requires significant planning, so I chose All About Spelling since it's almost the same. AAS is hands-on, open & go, requires constant review as part of the lessons, and you can see the issues as they are occurring, so you know where help is needed immediately. My son is thriving with it, and I'm confident his spelling will improve through this curriculum.

We are in the same boat. There is almost too many good options. I am having a hard time deciding between AAS, and Writing Road to Reading....which is also a spelling program. But my son loves Spelling Workout books so they are in contention. Of course my DS is going into 2nd so it isn't quite the same since more phonics can never be bad at this age. Oh and did I mention how much Sequential Spelling attracts me? (grin)

We use AAS and yes, it can be teacher intensive, but it kind of depends on how you use it. My kids don't need a lot of review so we don't do that most days. (I just keep a running list of words (or concepts they have trouble with and review every so often, crossing off the words once they are able to get them right a few times in a row). I don't do all the exercises. If they can show me they know a concept we move on. It's set up to easily move at your child's pace. We also don't do much dictation from the book because my kids do SO much dictation in their writing programs. (Occasionally I do have them do a sentence or two to make sure they are remembering the words they should know how to spell)

I would say we spend 15 min. or so 3-4 days a week. It really works so I won't give it up, even though I'm sure there's things out there that I could just hand to my children and they just do them... however, I really like to keep tabs on what they are understanding with spelling and what they are not and this helps me to do it... I just modify it to work with 4 children! (well, 3 for now... the youngest isn't ready yet!)

if I knew it would really work I would prob get AAS - I could use it for her younger sisters then too. I have read so many positive reports on it.

I will have to look more into how the lessons are structured and scheduled.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I just got AAS and started with my 4th grade son last week. I have to say I am glad I went with Level 1. I knew he was a bad speller, but he reads on a 6th grade level comprehension wise. He didn't know half of the sounds of the Alphabet! I hopefully will be done with level 1 at the end of summer to start using it with my 2nd ds, that way I wont have to buy another set of cards.

We have tried in the Past: Spellwell, A reason for, Spelling Wisdom and even Sequential Spelling. On Friday he could get most of them right but the next week he had forgotten all those words.

With AAS I am realizing it is because he doesn't even know what sounds a lot of the letters make.

if I knew it would really work I would prob get AAS - I could use it for her younger sisters then too. I have read so many positive reports on it.

I will have to look more into how the lessons are structured and scheduled.

The lessons are steps and you take as much time as you need on each step. There is no schedule it is more of a mastery program where as soon as they get something they move on. Before I tried it I was scared of how teacher intensive it is. But it is only teacher intensive because you teach 1 on 1. There is absolutely no prep time needed so I find it very easy to use.

help me decide....

I have a 4th gr dd who reads much higher than her grade level.

Her spelling, however, is not good.

I'm no expert on spelling curriculums. I've only ever tried 3: Spelling Workout, Spelling Power, and Rod & Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure. But my dd, likes yours was reading at a much higher grade level, while her spelling was lagging way behind her reading/writing ability. Spelling Workout just flat didn't work for her. Spelling Power caused frustration and tears because of the pre-test method used and I felt it was too teacher intensive to implement well. R&S Spelling has been amazing. Her spelling is much improved, she's learning spelling rules/patterns, and it requires very little from me so I can focus on other subjects more. I don't have any idea why it clicked and the others didn't, but that has been my experience.