Menu

Weel Trained Mind Users- Geography Question

Pam B

We are about to start the logic stage (medieval history - early reniassance), and would like to know what you do for geography. Do you use the Geography coloring book as SWB recommends, or something else? Why or why not?

:lurk5:

I'd like to know, too. I bought that Geography Coloring Book, but we haven't used it - I can't really figure out how to incorporate it into chronological history. Ds had already gone through the Knowledge Quest maps, so I didn't have him do those again. The only thing we do right now is look at the wall map/globe/atlas every so often, and talk about what we see, in light of what ds has been reading about lately - "Oh look, there are mountains here, I wonder if that's why the army took this seemingly roundabout route". It's not regular....and I'm sorta wondering what else I should maybe do with geography for him - though I do *not* want to add a geography "program."

My sons have never really liked to color. I lucked up one year when my younger son was in about third grade and he colored all year, LOL, so I really got to use my SOTW activity guide coloring pages that year - but that's about it!

For geography in fifth grade with my younger son, I did a study using the Beautiful Feet guide and maps to the Holling books. I did Paddle to the Sea that year. He then worked on some of the Which Way, USA? workbooks that my mother had given him as a gift a couple of years ago. (And we still haven't done all of them yet! But I would not buy them, as they're just too expensive.)

This year, for sixth grade, I had him do the Tree in the Trail study and then we have followed with a Steck Vaughn geography workbook for the rest of the year (and he may do some more of those Which Way books to end out the year).

We always do the SOTW maps, as well as looking at and talking about maps in every book we read that contains them. Additionally, I use a set of historical atlases to read along with the things we're doing. So I think he gets in some good variety of both world and U.S. / both modern and historical.

I don't think I've ever seen the geo coloring books you mentioned.....

My children do not like to color, so I am not using that. I really like the MapTrek products by Knowledge Quest.

:iagree:

I have not gotten them yet, but I really like the look of these. If I am not mistaken they have 3 different levels to them.

Additionally, I use a set of historical atlases to read along with the things we're doing.

Regena, can you please tell me more about this? I think studying geography historically along with history is the idea behind the WTM rec of the Geography Coloring Book, but there isn't much historically in it. Thanks.

It's very hard to find historical maps, for some reason. I've been looking online for some in the public domain, but can't find any at all, of any type.

I will give you the info about these wonderful books I use, by John Haywood, but they are OOP, so good luck on finding them:

Historical Atlas of the __________ World (dates given)

There's one for Ancients, one for Classical, one for Medieval, one for 19th century, and one for 20th century. Thus far, I've never been able to find one for the period from 1492 - 1783, so I don't know if one exists, or not. I cannot find any indication online that it does. The text for these is extremely content rich, or dense, by the way.

ISBN for the medieval one I'm using right now is: 0-7607-1975-6

If you need the other ISBN's, I can pull those for you, too.

I did find recently at a Books -a - Million (I think) an Atlas by him. So if gives more biographical, cultural info, etc. than the maps, I think. It also fills in that early modern gap for me. I would give you the ISBN, but I think I left the darn thing at someone's house already, a common pitfall for me. So I've first got to email them and try to get it back, LOL..... So many books......

The other thing I have that I really have liked (although there are some few mistakes in it, as with most workbooks) is this:

Instructional Fair, T.S. Denison: World Map Skills: Teaching World History with Maps (Grade 6).

ISBN: 0-88012-935-2. By: Mollie Brittenum.

This book is divided into sections with suggestions for classroom activities, etc. at the beginning of each section. It has these sections:

Understanding Maps (general geography)

The Stone Age

Ancient Egypt and Mosopotamia

Early Civilization in the Near East

Ancient Greece

Roman Empire

Europe in the Middle Ages

The Bithplace and Spread of Three Religions

China and India

The African Continent

Trade Routes

Western Hemisphere

The World Today

So, for instance, for this year's Medieval studies, I have used maps on:

Roman Highways

Empire of Augustus (27BC - 14 AD)

The Roman Empire (336-323BC)

Economic Life in the Roman Empire

I used these at the beginning of the year. We wrapped up with Rome last year then did a little on it the first week as refresher.

Barbarian Invaders

Europe in AD 400

Germanic Stats 526 AD

England 800 AD

Charlemagne's Empire 800 AD

Expansion of Islam to 750 AD

I went back and did a little recap on Han China before moving forward and used:

The Han Empire, First Century BC

Empire of the Mongols

Empires of India

Sub-Saharan Africa

Cultural Areas of Africa

African Trade Routes

Early People in the Americas

Native Cultures of America

There's still really nothing on the Crusades, High Middle Ages, or Renaissance/Reformation time periods.....

Ah, Guess I should alsp ppost what I "figured out" about the Geo coloring book..

So, in the Kingfisher History of the World Encyclopedia, p. 84, they talk about Japan. The map in the coloring book I would have my two DS use would be on p. 33.

I'm thinking that *maybe* I will let them color their copy of the map, and cut out the section showing the same area, maybe larger, that the one in the KHE book. Then have them paste it to their outline/summary/narration and then stick it in their notebook.

However, keeping the maps full sized, they would be able to see what is around that area.... Hmm....

The next map in KHE would be on p. 86, and in the GC, p. 12.

For the next map (KHE p. 89), there was actually at least two maps showing Hawwaii. However, the best one I saw, compared to the illustrated map, is on p. 36. Maybe I'd have them draw in the red cultural lines, as well.

That's all I've come up with as far as ideas. I haven't gone through all the maps, but I think I'll let the boys do that. ;)

During sixth grade I focused on three specific geographical areas for history, and for each we made a very large (wouldn't fit through the door afterwards) salt dough map of the area. This started out as simple physical features -- mountains, lakes, rivers, plains, etc. -- but we added to it as we went along in reading: adding cities, drawing empire boundaries. Most fun was making trade routes. We used pennies to represent copper, tin foil for tin, beads for semi-precious stones, etc., and glued them to the map in trails, with arrows pointing the direction of the exchange. This was a very graphic way to understand the extent of an area's isolation or connection with other areas, its resources and relative wealth, its weaknesses -- and also to show paths that armies took. The maps became very elaborate and were our substitute for a history notebook. I took pictures at various stages and the kids in the co-op made charts comparing elements of the different maps to one another.

These were messy, took up a lot of room, but were very fun and interesting for the kids. They could draw the maps pretty well from memory after working on the 3-D, colorful versions for so long.

Thanks Regena. Those Haywood books sound interesting.

And Pam, let me know how it goes with the GCB! You've made me take it off my bookshelf again to look at and figure out. :) I suppose if nothing else, I could always just hand it to my kids (photocopies, or separate copies) some year in high school and say, "Here, complete this over the next few years." and then just call it a geography course.

We've been doing chronological history since my dd started 1st gr. Even after doing mapwork for all those years, my dd's lowest scores on the ITBS in grades 3, 4, 5 were for mapskills/interpreting diagrams/tables. Go figure....:glare: So this year, dd and ds used Maps, Charts & Graphs along with the Evan-Moor Daily Geography practice. What I've realized is that these books really do cover more than just mapskills. The geography vocabulary in both is rich. Plus dd has gotten familiar with many different types of maps: climate, population, food suppy, topographical, etc.

I hope this has helped us. As far as I can tell, both dc have learned much new information and retained it. Let's hope it applies to the ITBS!! LOL.

One more thing, dd has used MCG independently. I have to do some teaching with EM.

Here's a link to MCG at Rainbow:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1269906964-237844&subject=14&category=4711

I think a previous poster linked EM.

HTH,

Jennifer

I hate when I type up a looong reply and it gets lost. *sigh* here we go again...

Here's what we are currently using for 6th & 8th graders:

CIA World Factbook website:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html

It is a good jumping off point. You can direct your children to the website, or copy and paste what you consider useful into a Word document they can read on the computer or you can print out for them (we do the latter for ease of use).

Seterra:

This is a free computer program you can download off the internet here:

http://www.wartoft.nu/software/seterra/

I hope that if you use it and like it, you will make a donation to the developer (an individual). It is great for learning where countries are, memorizing flags, and learning capitals in a way that feels like playing a game. Provides a great foundation in the 'basics' that makes the other geography studies make more sense. Provides those pegs to hang later info onto.

Usborne Encyclopedia of World Geography:

It's a bit young for their ages, but still quite useful as a brief intro or summary to a region. Beautiful photographs, maps, and brief overviews of regions and occasionally of individual countries. Also includes info on other geography topics such as volcanoes, geology, solar system, weather, etc. that is more appropriate to late elem. years that we don't use now.

National Geographic:

We have nearly every issue from 1970 to present, but you can copy articles from library copies or buy a CD-Rom version (we have a set of CDs that covers 1970-1999 that dh bought in 2000 - much cheaper than buying the paper issues, more convenient than going to the library). NatGeo website has a great searchable index you can use to find topics you're interested in. Right now, we are using them to read our way around the world. First the kids read from the Usborne and CIA Factbook and then read 1-4 articles I dig up from Nat Geo magazines. I try to find at least one older and one newer article to give an overview of their very recent history, and I also try to make sure they cover local culture, which often originates in ancient or medieval history. Unlike most geography books and texts, these articles tend to focus on single ethnic groups, cities, small regions, and single issues rather than give overviews of an entire country, but these articles with their famous NatGeo maps, illustrations and photographs really bring these peoples up close and dig into details and make these places real in a way that other books just don't.

HTH.

Wow! I love all these ideas! They're great!!!!

:) I suppose if nothing else, I could always just hand it to my kids (photocopies, or separate copies) some year in high school and say, "Here, complete this over the next few years." and then just call it a geography course.

Colleen- you made me think about what my dd13 is doing. She is in Classical Conversations' Challenge A this year. Last week she had to label, in detail, the entire world! She missed ONE! Some valley. They must memorize countries, physical features, oceans, seas, and lakes. She also knows the capitals and rivers. They have been at it for 26/27 weeks.

:001_wub: <- proud mommy

So, let me know what ya think. This is for 2 boys, ages 10 and 11 (in june and July they will be 11, & 12.)

Background:

They have had two years of IEW via Classical Conversations. I have them starting between the 5th and 6th grade level according to WTM, because as some of you know, IEW does not teach outlining in the same manner. They read pretty good.

Here is what I'm thinking....

DAY 1:

1) Read the section(s) in the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia.

2) Create an outline for each section you read.

3) File it under "Outlines," in the History section of your notebook.

DAY 2:

4) Mark all dates on the time line. Include a brief caption for each. You may also add pictures, either drawn, or printed.

5) Compare any maps from the KHE to the wall map, the globe, and also to the atlas.

6) Color the appropriate map from the Geography Coloring Book. Highlight any routes that were shown in the KHE book.

7) File your map under "Maps," in the History section of your notebook.

8) Create a list of topics that interest you from the KHE section(s) you read on day 1.

9) Do additional reading on at least one of these topics.

DAY 3:

10) Write one or two summaries from any topic you read about during your additional reading. You may choose either a one full page summary/written narration or two half page summaries/written narrations.

11) Pay close attention to biographies. Try to make special pages for all the great men and women you come across in your reading.

12) Keep in mind the other topics in the History section of your notebook. They include: Facts, Wars, Conflicts, and Politics, Inventions and Technology, Religion, Cities and Settlements, and also Daily Life.

I plan on working closely with them to help them find the topic sentences and be able to identify them. Hopefully we will be able to move quickly, but if not, I'm fine with that.

Oh! And I forgot! I also will have them choose an activity from the book, "Great Medieval Projects" by Kris Bordessa........ although I'm not sure when they will do it. Science is the other two days of the week.....

Edited by Pam B

I found my big book, yeah! The title is: The Atlas of Past Times, John Haywood. ISBN: 978-0-681423-18-3.

Here's an interesting book (says it's for high school) that looks like it might have map work in it, but I can't find an inside view to see what it really includes:

http://www.amazon.com/World-History-Activities-Marvin-Scott/dp/0825128803

And I looked to see if there were other Instructional Fair World Map Skills books for other grade levels. The sixth grade book I'm using is the highest level, but they do have a fifth grade book and a 3/4 grade book. I don't know if they include similar work, or not.....

So, let me know what ya think. This is for 2 boys, ages 10 and 11 (in june and July they will be 11, & 12.)

Background:

They have had two years of IEW via Classical Conversations. I have them starting between the 5th and 6th grade level according to WTM, because as some of you know, IEW does not teach outlining in the same manner. They read pretty good.

Here is what I'm thinking....

DAY 1:

1) Read the section(s) in the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia.

2) Create an outline for each section you read.

3) File it under "Outlines," in the History section of your notebook.

DAY 2:

4) Mark all dates on the time line. Include a brief caption for each. You may also add pictures, either drawn, or printed.

5) Compare any maps from the KHE to the wall map, the globe, and also to the atlas.

6) Color the appropriate map from the Geography Coloring Book. Highlight any routes that were shown in the KHE book.

7) File your map under "Maps," in the History section of your notebook.

8) Create a list of topics that interest you from the KHE section(s) you read on day 1.

9) Do additional reading on at least one of these topics.

DAY 3:

10) Write one or two summaries from any topic you read about during your additional reading. You may choose either a one full page summary/written narration or two half page summaries/written narrations.

11) Pay close attention to biographies. Try to make special pages for all the great men and women you come across in your reading.

12) Keep in mind the other topics in the History section of your notebook. They include: Facts, Wars, Conflicts, and Politics, Inventions and Technology, Religion, Cities and Settlements, and also Daily Life.

I plan on working closely with them to help them find the topic sentences and be able to identify them. Hopefully we will be able to move quickly, but if not, I'm fine with that.

Oh! And I forgot! I also will have them choose an activity from the book, "Great Medieval Projects" by Kris Bordessa........ although I'm not sure when they will do it. Science is the other two days of the week.....

It all looks like a good overall plan. I will comment on two things. First, the KHE is very difficult to outline (compressed text, paragraphs not always about one topic), if your plan is to outline *for the purpose of learning writing skills.* Do you have the 2009 WTM, and are you having them do a "list of facts" from KHE? I have found that KHE *is* useful for that. I would suggest having them read KHE, maybe do a list of facts, mark timeline, pick extra reading topics from KHE, and have them outline from any well-written book or encyclopedia article on *their extra reading topics*. Second, I found that requiring my 5th/6th grader to do a half or full page narration was impossible. Of course, I have no idea the writing abilities your guys have - I just mention that to say that mine could not meet up to that suggestion in WTM yet, nor could he meet up to writing an outline and a couple of narrations every week in history and science each, plus the literature narration. I had to revise my writing expectations every week for him to two outlines and two narrations per week, rotating between subjects. And lessening my expectations about amount on each piece of writing, thanks to the help of SWB's logic stage writing lecture (which is very different from WTM). But that lecture helped me to see how eventually he *would* be able to write 1-2 page reports by the end of 8th grade or so. So, he gets tons of reading done, and writes about some of it. IOW, I changed my thinking from "Let's get this history notebook filled up with outlines and narrations" to "Let's use some of our history (and science and lit) reading to practice writing skills on, and still file the writing in the appropriate sections of hist/sci/lit notebook." Does that make sense?

It all looks like a good overall plan. I will comment on two things. First, the KHE is very difficult to outline (compressed text, paragraphs not always about one topic), if your plan is to outline *for the purpose of learning writing skills.* Do you have the 2009 WTM, and are you having them do a "list of facts" from KHE? I have found that KHE *is* useful for that. I would suggest having them read KHE, maybe do a list of facts, mark timeline, pick extra reading topics from KHE, and have them outline from any well-written book or encyclopedia article on *their extra reading topics*. Second, I found that requiring my 5th/6th grader to do a half or full page narration was impossible. Of course, I have no idea the writing abilities your guys have - I just mention that to say that mine could not meet up to that suggestion in WTM yet, nor could he meet up to writing an outline and a couple of narrations every week in history and science each, plus the literature narration. I had to revise my writing expectations every week for him to two outlines and two narrations per week, rotating between subjects. And lessening my expectations about amount on each piece of writing, thanks to the help of SWB's logic stage writing lecture (which is very different from WTM). But that lecture helped me to see how eventually he *would* be able to write 1-2 page reports by the end of 8th grade or so. So, he gets tons of reading done, and writes about some of it. IOW, I changed my thinking from "Let's get this history notebook filled up with outlines and narrations" to "Let's use some of our history (and science and lit) reading to practice writing skills on, and still file the writing in the appropriate sections of hist/sci/lit notebook." Does that make sense?

:D Hehe. I am expecting too much, aren't I? Hmmm. Well, I guess I will just have to trim it down! ;) I can always build it up, I don't want them to get frusterated/overwhelmed and hate it.

As for using the KHE, I thought that the only reason SWB didn't recommend it in the 2009 ed., is because it was OOP? That's what I understood anyway. Hmm.. I pulled some other books down to look at them. What do you think of The Usborne Book of World History, and/or The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History? I also have The Usborne Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia. :bigear:

Do you think any of those will work.. easily enough?

Oh, yes, I do have the 2009 and also the 2004 editions of WTM.

As for the "Facts," I really don't know what SWB was talking about because she didn't explain it - that I saw. I just had that on the list of other catagories they could write about, because I was looking at the binder set-up for History. :D:D If you have an idea what kind of FACTS I'm suppose to have them do, please, tell me! :bigear:

I guess I really need to sit down and reread WTM section by section- Say, starting with Elementary History & Geography, then read the Logic Stage Hist/Geo. and do the same w/ each subject, while taking notes.... (groan) The kids are always asking me how would I like it if I had to do ____ and ___ ........... They have no idea how much work goes into planning their work!

Anyhow, HOPEFULLY I will be able to SOMEHOW bribe(???) hubby to get everyone out of the house so I can work in peace! :tongue_smilie:

My children do not like to color, so I am not using that. I really like the MapTrek products by Knowledge Quest.

:iagree:

I have not gotten them yet, but I really like the look of these. If I am not mistaken they have 3 different levels to them.

Pam!!!!!!!!! These posters have our answer!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know why I didn't look at these before tonight, but here it is!!!!! Thank you, mrsjamiesouth and Osaubi for mentioning MapTrek! It had caught my eye on another thread, because I like using KQ's blackline maps (that are also in SOTW) for grammar stage, but I didn't look into it. It looks like, according to the website and according to a couple of other threads that mention MapTrek (do a search, Pam), that MapTrek is pretty much the old blackline maps, but with a few new features and lesson plans for all 12 grades!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: There. I just tagged all three threads (so far) with maptrek, so you can find it easily.

Edited by Colleen in NS

:D Hehe. I am expecting too much, aren't I? Hmmm. Well, I guess I will just have to trim it down! ;) I can always build it up, I don't want them to get frusterated/overwhelmed and hate it.

Or you could do what I do and blunder along with high expectations and trim it as needed or as I clue in as to what is too high/much (my poor oldest child). :D

As for using the KHE, I thought that the only reason SWB didn't recommend it in the 2009 ed., is because it was OOP? That's what I understood anyway. Hmm.. I pulled some other books down to look at them. What do you think of The Usborne Book of World History, and/or The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History? I also have The Usborne Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia. :bigear:

You are correct, KHE went OOP, so she searched for new recs here on the board, that she could put into the new WTM. However, I *think* she wrote something in the new WTM about how to choose books to outline, and that some history books were more difficult than others, for various reasons. I am also guessing that because so many people here have mentioned the difficulty in outlining KHE, she put in that new recommendation to make a "list of facts" so that no matter what history encyclopedia you use for a "spine," the student would still have a concrete way to write down a history overview, before diving into the extra reading and writing. For 5th and 6th graders, I don't think it matters a lot whether you use KHE or the Usborne books you mentioned. But KHE is nice for all four grades 5-8, so I use that as our basic spine - just not for outlining.

As for the "Facts," I really don't know what SWB was talking about because she didn't explain it - that I saw. I just had that on the list of other catagories they could write about, because I was looking at the binder set-up for History. :D:D If you have an idea what kind of FACTS I'm suppose to have them do, please, tell me! :bigear:

You basically just take a two-page spread in KHE (or whatever spine you choose - there are others listed in the new WTM due to the OOP KHE problem), read it, and then list 6 - 8 of the most important or most interesting facts, in complete sentences. To me, it's a sort of outline that is is not outlining-the-paragraph outlining. It's more of an outline of the basic facts of the spread. And to me, it's all open to interpretation - one kid might think such-n-such is important, while another kid might think thus-n-such is important. I think it's mostly an exercise in getting historical highlights written down on paper. If you do this, you could probably even use this as their choices for topics they want to explore further. Like with outlining or narration, talk them through this exercise the first few weeks, until they are comfortable doing it themselves.

I hope you have fun switching over to some WTM methods! :D

Pam!!!!!!!!! These posters have our answer!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know why I didn't look at these before tonight, but here it is!!!!! Thank you, mrsjamiesouth and Osaubi for mentioning MapTrek! It had caught my eye on another thread, because I like using KQ's blackline maps (that are also in SOTW) for grammar stage, but I didn't look into it. It looks like, according to the website and according to a couple of other threads that mention MapTrek (do a search, Pam), that MapTrek is pretty much the old blackline maps, but with a few new features and lesson plans for all 12 grades!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D Thank-you soo much! This is great! And these maps look much easier to use. I'll have to try to find them on sale somewhere. I'm sure they are worth the $$, but I'm not so sure dh would agree.

I wonder why SWB chose to recommend the others instead.

I'm sure they are worth the $$, but I'm not so sure dh would agree.

They are definitely worth it to me - that is 9 more years' worth of geography lessons for us, for 40 bucks plus paper and ink!!

I wonder why SWB chose to recommend the others instead.

MapTrek is new - the new WTM came out before these were completed. I wouldn't be surprised to see them recommended in the next WTM revision.