Menu

Food Inc...How young is too young to watch?

The animal treatment is fairly disturbing and somewhat graphic. If you have sensitive kids, it might be too heavy for them. If not, then you might want to be prepared for some resistance to eating meat in general. This affected just one of my kids this way, though, and she was already not eating too much meat to begin with it. The other kid? Meh. So, I guess that would depend on your kids' personalities.

I took my then 5 YO with me last summer to see it. We talk about about food and the food industry a lot in our home and with our friends so none if it was very surprising to her. Some of it was over her head and she said the part about the cow with the hole in it was gross but she's not sensitive to those kinds of things though and was fine.

I don't think I'd put an age limit on it. Some of the images are disturbing, yes, but much of where our food comes from is disturbing to anybody. I want my daughter to understand where her food comes from, and to think beyond the nice plastic-wrapped packages at the supermarket. I'm going to let her watch it as soon as she's old enough to understand the information presented.

We watched it last night as a family. I insisted my 14 and 11 year olds watch, but gave the option of watching to my 6 year old. She declined :001_smile:

I felt it was important for my kids to know why there will be changes made in our household. My older kids not only understand now, but agree that the time has come for us to radically alter our approach to eating.

I think it really depends on the kid. My 8 yo dd would probably be fine with it, but my nearly 10 yo ds, who is an aspie, would have a VERY hard time with it. It would upset him for months, if not years. He's already gone veg for a week at a time for moral issues, so Food Inc. would send him right over the edge!

We've been watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution as a family.