Menu

Struggling trying to decide on PreK...

Verity

This year was my first homeschooling both my older boys, ages 11 and 7. My youngest turned 4 right before Christmas. My boys all have had developmental delays and some issues - oldest has Aspergers/ADD, middle has ADHD, had a hearing and speech delay and struggled with Asthma, youngest has a speech delay and was delayed in potty training but is mostly there now.

Next fall my youngest would qualify for "free" voluntary pre-kindergarten at the center of my choice. There is a church preschool near my house that has openings. I just am trying to decide if it would be a good decision to put him in it or not.

Pros:

-a solid block of time (probably 2 hours after you subtract drop off and pick up) 5 mornings a week to do lessons with my older boys

-he may really enjoy the "socialization", we don't currently have alot of other kids we see regularly

-they may be able to help with his language issues better than I can? (we currently are receiving no assistance or services)

Cons:

-Having to drive him back and forth

-Being at the mercy of their schedule

-Missing out on being his pre-K teacher

-He's very strong-willed and may really fight me about going

In addition to my older son's health and learning issues I've finally been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. This diagnosis is good because now I have been given some medication which is starting to help. Due to fatigue and pain the last year has been a struggle which meant we did school, housework and shopping and that was all other than occasional trips to the park and weekly library trips. I really desire to give my sons the best education and life experience I can. Opinions on the non-homeschool pre-K?

I put my two oldest in a pre-school this year. At first I had my dd5 in the pre-k class that was 5 days a week for three hours and quickly found that it was way too much driving for me. I was exhausted. Of course I was also hauling around a toddler and was at the end of my pregnancy. I switched her to a younger class that was 2 days a week for three hours and that has been perfect for us.

As for missing out on being his Pre-K teacher... what does a kid really learn in Pre-k? The pre-k class I put my daughter in helped them write their name and learned a letter a week, and that's it. (I'm doubting any pre-k class or teacher would do much to formally help a speech delay) They did arts and crafts and went on fun field trips too. At home, I was still their teacher. I teach them to read and we work on math and handwriting. The Pre-K added nothing except the extra-curricular/socialization, which was perfect.

That's been our experience!

Personally, the daily driving would drive me nutty. I'd feel pressure in schooling the others b/c I'd HAVE to be somewhere at a very specific time.

Can you get speech for him in house?

Can you learn from a therapist and institute at home?

I have found over the years that anytime I am out of the house more than twice in a school week, it negatively affects our schooling.

I'd also be worried about bad habits and illness....daycare/preschool is a germ incubator and who knows whose biting who these days.

Just my 2 cents.

The 5 mornings a week would probably kill it for me, but it really depends on your pain level. If it would take stress off you, rather than add it, I say go for it. I would consider it carefully though. One year I did a co-op preschool with ds, thinking it would be less stress, but it was so much work that it ended up being more stressful than just doing our own thing.

My younger ds is going to a Montessori preschool next year, but it is only 2 mornings a week, and I have friends carpooling to minimize my driving. Good luck! I understand how difficult it can be to make this decision!

How long is the drive? Is there a room you could use at the church for homeschooling your older boys? That would cut out half of the driving.

A lot of it would depend on the teacher and how willing she was to work with his speech issues. Is he going to pick up a feeling that he is 'less than' or will she be one who encourages him and pushes him to improve?