Menu

For those who like Daniel Boorstin...and/or debate questions

I found these worksheets made to correspond with Daniel Boorstin's A History of the United States so I thought those who use/plan to use his Am. history book might like these. Also, they are general enough to be used with any Am. history text/plan. I thought they were very handy debate/speech questions and would add to any program well.

http://www.teachersfirst.com/20/getsource.cfm?id=10395

I love Boorstin :)

I haven't heard of this text (the Booristin History of the United States in the OP) before, but I'm curious what people are liking so much... I looked up the Amazon reviews and they are almost universally horrible. :confused: Even the one more positive review is more "this can be made to work by a good teacher" -which I'd say is faint praise at best. What are they missing?

I haven't heard of this text (the Booristin History of the United States in the OP) before, but I'm curious what people are liking so much... I looked up the Amazon reviews and they are almost universally horrible. :confused: Even the one more positive review is more "this can be made to work by a good teacher" -which I'd say is faint praise at best. What are they missing?

Yup. They hate it. :confused: Both my kids and I have found it the most readable and interesting high school textbook out there. My kids find it interesting. So did I. I think a lot of folks squabble about things it leaves out, things it puts in, and his perspective on history (per usual on a textbook). I figure my kids have had enough history that this is not the 1st time they will discover an author who has a different take on a point in history. He tends towards a more conservative perspective on some things, but not all. Those who have done a lot of studying of history say that he does not have everything included--I recall them being upset about the roll of women in some historical city (can't recall any other specifically)...sorry, but that didn't change my mind. LOL! My kids have done cycle teaching and have had history up the time line often enough--it just is not an issue for me.

I sat down and read a pile of history books--high school texts, 30 to 45 minutes each. Those books I never wanted to read again were tossed. Boorstin easily made it to the top of my list for U.S. History; Spielvogel's high school text won for World History. I wanted textbooks, but I did not want my kids to chew sawdust...so that is how I chose. Boorstin comes with plenty of credentials and other titles behind his name--as much or more than other textbook writers. :tongue_smilie:

FWIW,

Jean

Edited by Jean in Wisc

Jean, with your good review I might have to take a look at this text. I just picked up the 3 books I had mentioned in my pp and haven't read them yet but they look like something we would like. Right now, I was thinking about using America: A Narrative History but I think I will take a look at this one too. Thanks for your review.

Jean, with your good review I might have to take a look at this text. I just picked up the 3 books I had mentioned in my pp and haven't read them yet but they look like something we would like. Right now, I was thinking about using America: A Narrative History but I think I will take a look at this one too. Thanks for your review.

One of the things my dd said she enjoyed about it was that it seemed to go up the time line looking at the presidents: the era in which they were living, the issues of the time, the problems they faced, and how they handled them. This was a bit of a different perspective on a subject she felt they had "already studied, mom!" All of them have come to me with thoughts on what they are studying--something that always makes me think they are not only reading but thinking, which, of course is my ultimate goal!!

It obviously does not trip everyone's trigger, but it has worked well with all 3 of my kids.

Jean :)

It is one of the few Sonlight books that I absolutely have held onto. Usually I have to sell everything that we're done with in order to buy the next round of books, but it was a keeper for us and one that we've referred to several times since.

I found these worksheets made to correspond with Daniel Boorstin's A History of the United States so I thought those who use/plan to use his Am. history book might like these. Also, they are general enough to be used with any Am. history text/plan. I thought they were very handy debate/speech questions and would add to any program well.

http://www.teachersfirst.com/20/getsource.cfm?id=10395

I really love his books. One of my favorites is The Image, which I try to reread before each presidential election.

There are some good essays in Cleopatra's Nose too. I think this is the book with a chapter about Paul Revere that doesn't try to debunk him as a hero, but does discuss him as a figure who had far more going on than one midnight ride.

Boorstin tends to tell a story and let the story give insight to the era or the person. This does run counter to the modern textbook style (and definitely runs counter to textbooks where there is a minute counting of women and minorities, no matter how involved they were in the history under discussion).

My dh's favorite Boorstin essay is one about cash registers. I think the title is The Incorruptable Clerk.

Boorstin was one of the Librarians of Congress.