Menu

Who here replaces English grammar w/ Latin? How's it going? Thanks!!

Beth in SW WA

We started doing that this year. We used Rod & Staff grammar for several years, and I think my children got a good background. We do a lot of grammar work in Latin, and my son is also working with grammar in Italian. There are plenty of opportunities in IEW to go over concepts, too.

I think it's going well so far, and it's an efficient use of our time. I'm a grammar geek, though, and can ALWAYS find an opportunity to point out a part of speech or talk about punctuation. :D

I don't do it becasue I just am not comfortable giving it up. But my child's Latin Teacher said my 7th grader didn't need anything else for grammar since in the curr. there is grammar in it.

She also gets it from her writing as well and Ialso have her do Daily Grams.

So I guess I am not using a full grammar curriculum after all. :)

I don't do it becasue I just am not comfortable giving it up. But my child's Latin Teacher said my 7th grader didn't need anything else for grammar since in the curr. there is grammar in it.

Yes, I wouldn't have tried this any earlier than that. We gave up formal English grammar study just this year -- dd is in 8th grade & ds is in 10th.

We gave up English grammar this year for 4th and 5th grade. We are using LC for Latin and WT 1 + 2 for writing. It was a bit of a leap of faith but so far I am comfortable with it. We did R&S up until this year. I feel comfortable that the Latin is covering all the parts of speech, person, and tenses. We are also reviewing all of this in both WT programs. The plan is to do CW Homer next year and I just started reviewing that program. There is a lot of grammar in it and I do have Harvey's on hand for reference. What gave me the courage was that there is only so much grammar to learn and with a program like AG, we could always do a crash coarse later if this plan doesn't work out.

usually around 7th grade, we give up grammar completely. We usually alternate a year of Abeka grammar with a year of Charlotte Mason methods for the years before that, and it gives the kids a strong foundation, we've not had any problems and my high schoolers have scored well.

I do it the other way. We do Latin and CW or WT until 6th grade THEN start English Grammar with AG. My oldest did R&S for a couple years but it didn't really do that good of a job helping her understand grammar. Latin and AG has really been the ticket to good grammar understanding. My middle (and my youngest) won't have any grammar outside of CW/WT and Latin until we do AG.

Heather

We do. We're using Lively Latin, and there is lots of explicit English grammar instruction in it along with the Latin - including sentence diagramming. I plan to use this book as a review when my dd is in 7th or 8th grade if she needs it at that point.

And not to worry - your original question was perfectly grammatical. :)

We get all our grammar through Latin (now in Henle 1) and a bit in CW, too (we're finishing Aesop B). Dds had a wonderful start with the grammar in FLL that has served them well.

I do keep lots of grammar books on hand for my own reference should I need help. Plus I'm a grammar geek. ;)

We gave up English grammar this year for 4th and 5th grade. We are using LC for Latin and WT 1 + 2 for writing. The plan is to do CW Homer next year and I just started reviewing that program. There is a lot of grammar in it and I do have Harvey's on hand for reference. What gave me the courage was that there is only so much grammar to learn and with a program like AG, we could always do a crash coarse later if this plan doesn't work out.

I've been teaching vocab with latin roots (Vocab from Classical Roots) but not to the depth you guys are talking about aparently. I also use R&S grammar. What is LC for Latin, WT, CW and AG.

We are also using Lively Latin - and there is more than enough grammar in it to not do a separate program - and I really don't see the point until they are in 4th grade anyway. We are doing some fun stuff a la Serendipity and the Ruth Heller Lively Language books, but most grammar instruction is coming through the Latin, and I really don't see any reason to do more right now.