Menu

Has anyone used a Spanish curr. for grammar stage kids that you really loved?

gandpsmommy

My dd really wants to learn Spanish. I have a B.A. in Spanish, so you would think I would be teaching her, but I just can't find a curr. I really like, and I am considering using my high school or college textbook orally with her at a very slow pace. I really need a spine. If I don't have something to follow, I won't make it happen. We have tried the Spanish stories and songs on cd, just having conversations, vocab. flash cards, etc. I just really need a curr. to follow. Any suggestions?

I really like Funspanish.

My 3rd grader is using this and because it's so easy to implement, she has learned more Spanish than her older sibs who start a new Spanish curriculum every fall!

Because she is consistent at this early age, she has the accent down too, which my older dc struggle with.

I think you can see samples at lulu.com

Puertas Abiertas. Even without a second level, I haven't found a better introductory program. It's completely immersive. Since you speak Spanish, you can supplement with picture books and everyday conversation.

The important thing at this age is speaking, hearing, reading (listening to it being read). Pick a time of day, or subject, or day of the week in which you're speaking only Spanish to her.

I have a copy of some lesson plans for young children. Maybe it could get you started while you're researching other programs. It was shared by a Sonlight mom whose teacher friend created it to share. Unfortunately, it is too large to attach here, so anyone can feel free to email me for them.

Renai

We tried Powerglide Spanish for Children - both of us hated it, I kept telling myself we should like it, we stuck with it for 3 months trying to like it, couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Elementary Spanish, excellent, but I can't justify the cost of United Streaming yearly simply for this program, we get a free version of United Streaming through the state, so this is the only portion we'd use.

I've tried getting various books, tapes, and audio from the library, I need something more structured and my boys thought the tapes and audio were corny.

I'm trying to decide between "The Fun Spanish" (on lulu), The Learnables Spanish CD ROM, or Puertas Abiertas - I really wish they'd put out a second level.

For middle I hope to be able to move into SYRWTLS, then SOS Spanish for 9th/10th.

There was always something about PowerGlide that I never liked- although I never used it. Perhaps the method? Spanglish? Germglish? Japglish? Ok, that's enough. I'm also deciding on Learnables for either German or Japanese.

For older Spanish students, one can access the whole Destinos video series for free on http://www.learner.org. You would just have to get workbooks, if so inclined.

and loving it. You can download it at lulu.com for around $15. It is NOT a stand alone Spanish program. It is all written (obviously), in the form of copying Spanish sentences and drawing a picture to match what the sentence says. For ex/ one sentence might say in Spanish, "I am a rat with long green legs". The child copies it and draws a picture. There's much more to it than that...check it out.

For the spoken part, b/c that is important as you know, we use Learnables. It is totally in Spanish and has the child match the phrases w/ pictures in a book, etc. I like that it is all in Spanish. If you know Spanish (I have a minor in Spanish) and can help with pronunciation, etc. This might be a good way to go. Cheaper than Rosetta Stone and maybe Powerglide. Not sure. HTH

I have a copy of some lesson plans for young children. It was shared by a Sonlight mom whose teacher friend created it to share. Unfortunately, it is too large to attach here, so anyone can feel free to email me for them.

Renai

Hi Renai,

I PMed you my email address. Thank you for sharing. :D

I'm trying to decide between "The Fun Spanish" (on lulu), The Learnables Spanish CD ROM, or Puertas Abiertas - I really wish they'd put out a second level.

The Learnables is a bit dry for most early elementary students. That said, both DD and myself really like the program. I don't know how old your child(ren) are, but for young children I'd recommend something like Puertas Abiertas first. The Learnables isn't geared to children in its choice of vocabulary, so it's not the case that material from Puertas Abiertas or another early elementary program will be covered early on in The Learnables. The Learnables doesn't even cover colors in the first level. I also think The Learnables is best employed when the child is old enough to do the Basic Structures component as well.

Could you tell me more about "The Learnables Spanish"? I was originally just looking at the CD rom version for my oldest (next year will be in 3rd, has had some Spanish exposure as you saw in my post). From the explanation on the site, it appears he'd use the cd rom, then basic structures 1? Would a typical 8-9 y/o boy do fine with Basic Structures?
I'm doing it with my advanced 6yo. As long as your DS is motivated to learn Spanish and will keep his attention on the book while the CD's are playing, he should do fine with Basic Structures. We listen to the current Lesson's review and expansion each day (except for the very long reviews, for which we do half one day and half the next) and DD does a page or two of exercises from the workbook. It is suggested that the student listen to the entire Lesson multiple times, but we don't listen to the exercises more than once, as I think this would try anyone's patience. Level 2 Grammar Enhancement is currently available on CD-ROM and IIRC, Level 2 Listening will be out on CD-ROM by early next year.

If you want more information about the program, Cathy Duffy has a detailed review in her Top 100 curricula book. The review is a bit old; the CD_ROM's weren't around yet, but the program is fundamentally the same.

Puertas Abiertas is what I'm leaning toward for my K-4 and 6 y/o, but I want something more for my oldest. Any news on Puertas Abiertas 2?
None that I've heard. However, even with only one volume, it's still an excellent program. Your older boy will benefit from it too.