Menu

Today, I get to try out being YOU! (aka: Help!)

It's happened. The body count of short, hormonal people in my house has just gone up by 100%. And, the energy level has more than quadrupled. Starting this morning, I am hosting two boys, eleven and thirteen (the latter with Aspergers or a close cousin) for the duration of today, overnight, and all day tomorrow. I'm pretty good with my girls, who are the same ages. And, I'm pretty good with boys, to a point. But, I have the feeling that 36 hours may test every inch of my patience and a few split ends as well.

For the record, I just asked if the boys eat tacos (contemplating our dinner).

Boys: "Yeah!!! With eggs and cheese!!!"

Me: (...thinking that sounds like breakfast at McD's...) "Yeah!!! Like that. Only with meat."

Boys: "Meat??? Ewwwwwwww!!!!" (insert lots of gutteral noises and distorted faces here)

For the record (are you getting all this down?...I'm going to want witnesses), these boys are not vegetarian. They eat burgers. They eat hot dogs. The oldest loves chicken. But, he won't eat turkey. Maybe I need to be over in the picky eaters thread?

Okay, so then, there is the fascination with all things electronic. The computer-cell phone-iPod stare. When their dad dropped them off he said,

"They have PSP's (PS-huh's? :001_huh:), but I've told them that your house rules apply for how they use them."

Me: "Well, seeing as how we don't own whatever that is, we have no rules whatsoever about use of them."

I've already sent this pack out the door to the local park, where they will, hopefully, expend a bit of energy. It's not even 10 o'clock. I'm not at all sure what else we're going to do today.

Ideas, please?

Or, maybe just go ahead and shoot me now.

taunt016.gif

Doran

Actually, egg tacos are pretty good. May sound strange, but scrambled eggs, cheese, lettuce, salsa and sour cream is great :D

We used to eat those as a kid -- meat was scarce, but eggs were cheap :D

It actually doesn't sound that strange, to me. But, you can bet these two fellows won't come near their eggs with a piece of lettuce. I'm also not sure how I'd turn that meal into dinner, you know? I don't think these guys eat fruit, to speak of. I'm sure I could figure out something. The clincher, though, is that we just had scrambled eggs for breakfast (before the boys arrived), so I don't think MY kids want eggs again for dinner. It's seldom easy, is it? ;)

Doran

It actually doesn't sound that strange, to me. But, you can bet these two fellows won't come near their eggs with a piece of lettuce. I'm also not sure how I'd turn that meal into dinner, you know? I don't think these guys eat fruit, to speak of. I'm sure I could figure out something. The clincher, though, is that we just had scrambled eggs for breakfast (before the boys arrived), so I don't think MY kids want eggs again for dinner. It's seldom easy, is it? ;)

Doran

since tacos are kind of an assemble it yourself meal, could you scramble up a few eggs on the side to they could use those instead of meat?

I'd keep them outside as much as possible. Keep them busy--do you have any garden beds that need preparing? The PSPs will probably keep them quiet, but they might be cranky when they stop.

Good luck laughing015.gif

Are you sure you don't have my oldest nephew at your house (only he's 14 and not aspbergers)? I'm going to have him over starting on tuesday and my house will be like that--only funny thing is, I like that. I can handle it, DH cannot.

My girls lose their brains whenever he comes over. Set them free mom.. just let them out of their cages. It's the only way to cope.

Oh and pizza, lots of pizza. :)

When you just can't take it anymore, it is ok to zone them out with electronic media - t.v., video, computer, PSP's (if I knew what that was!). I had one out of control child I was watching once - after he took my whole house apart - I took him by the hand, marched him to the t.v. and hissed "watch!". We both survived!

Can you take them bowling tonight?

Can you just use the meat from the tacos for burgers? I think it would be a very simple solution to the dinner issue. As for the energy I think the park was a great idea. Also in our home board games are a big hit. How about a newly released movie and popcorn?

I notice that anything the child doesn't have at their own home is always the most exciting. Good Luck

Can you just use the meat from the tacos for burgers? I think it would be a very simple solution to the dinner issue. As for the energy I think the park was a great idea. Also in our home board games are a big hit. How about a newly released movie and popcorn?

I notice that anything the child doesn't have at their own home is always the most exciting. Good Luck

I just learned that their dad will probably be dealing with dinner for the boys. We all have to leave the house at 2:45 to get kids to rowing practice, and me to a meeting, and one of these boys to play practice. But, during the dinner hour, I think both boys are going to be with their dad. Isn't that a mini-miracle unfolding right here in my own little world. :D

Doran

Use the PSPs if things begin to get out of hand. It'll calm them right down!

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

My daughters' PSP/Leapsters are used to get the house quiet. They can't play with them all the time, but when they start chasing each other in the house 'Circle' (through the living room, kitchen and down the hall). I give them about 5 laps and then pull out the games. Keep in mind that the running is accompanied by screaming, and has usually been preceded by LOTS of noise and activity. As soon as they see the games, theur butts are drawn like magnets to the nearest (comfortable) chair and they are silent. :D:D:D. And the bowling alley in my brain closes.

Hey, that's pretty much my house every day.

I agree with the others. Lots of park time, then you have your classes/meetings, dad has them for dinner....

Use the PSPs if things begin to get out of hand. It'll calm them right down!

I know. That's why I said I'm trying out being you! :001_smile: I had this thought a little while ago about PSP's. The Aspie kid came back from the park twice (it was raining...he said...??), and sat down with his game. The house was so quiet I forgot he was here. Later, when all the kids came home, there was more game time, and relative calm. It was then that I realized why so many parents are lured into relying on these thing more than they should. It's so much easier to think when the decibel level drops like it does when, as CIN says, their butts are stuck to a comfy chair. I could so fall into that trap. Wait. Come to think of it, my butt's in a comfy chair right now. :D

Doran

Doran- Glad to hear that between dad taking over dinner and the PSP your day is falling right into place. Isn't it funny that most of the things we stress about seem to work themselves out.

signs007.gif

If only all the things I stress about could work themselves out so quickly, kwim? I know they all work themselves out, eventually. it's just that many times, I lack the patience to remain calm until they do. Today? Yes...it's all good. I'm cracking up listening to my two girls try to mother these boys. :lol:

Doran

I know. That's why I said I'm trying out being you! :001_smile: I had this thought a little while ago about PSP's. The Aspie kid came back from the park twice (it was raining...he said...??), and sat down with his game. The house was so quiet I forgot he was here. Later, when all the kids came home, there was more game time, and relative calm. It was then that I realized why so many parents are lured into relying on these thing more than they should. It's so much easier to think when the decibel level drops like it does when, as CIN says, their butts are stuck to a comfy chair. I could so fall into that trap. Wait. Come to think of it, my butt's in a comfy chair right now. :D

Doran

One thing to note: once the boys go home and you are back to your own family, I've found that it can be hard to break the lure of the electronics on my own kids. But the pay-off while the friends are there is still greater than that draw-back!