Menu

High School

I don't know if I am capable of homeschooling my children well in high school. I am concerned that I will short change them in the long run. My dd starts 9th grade next year, and she is gifted (I am NOT).

When I think about the amount of work required on my part, and that she might go farther if she attends a good school, I almost don't see the sense in homeschooling high school, especially when I see that PS kids in our area by and large all go off to decent schools.

She took the SAT as a 7th grader and scored in top 5% of 7th graders. At the award ceremony, the speaker basically told the kids there that they could probably get into the college of their choice.

But as a homeschooler, is this possible? Most homeschooled kids I know go to their local university, community college, or a small private/christian school. I don't know a lot (or any) that go to nationally recognized schools, but I know PS kids (e.g. my neices/nephews) who do. So I guess I am asking, is it worth it?

Well, I know of homeschoolers who've gone to Notre Dame on a full scholarship, gone to UVA and also the Naval Academy. I've heard of homeschoolers going to Harvard and other big name schools. You might want to do research on this. The 'big' schools have been accepting homeschoolers for more than a decade or so. Try reading a book by the Colfaxes.

However, is it your daughter's goal that she go to some big name university? Just because a child is bright doesn't necessarily mean that a big name is the way to go.

I think that homeschooling isn't for everyone. It might not be for you. Why are you and your dd attracted to it?

That said, I think homeschooling high school for really bright kids is a good thing. I know of several homeschoolers who have graduated early and gone onto to college. They were able to take college level science classes at the community college which transferred to a full time university where they are pre-med. They are a couple of years ahead of their classmates as a result. I personally don't know if that is a good thing, but apparently these kids are very impassioned about becoming doctors and mature enough to handle college a couple of years early.

There are many resources out there to help gifted kids who have not so gifted parents (that would be me!). We've taken advantage of homeschool classes (classes given by other homeschooling parents who are experts in a particular field), Teaching Co. lecture series, on line classes, tutors and community college classes in order to get through high school. I know some parents do it all on their own. I am not one of them!

Good luck to you whatever you decide!

I don't see this one mentioned very often, but Morning by Morning, about a couple who homeschooled their three African-American sons to Ivy League schools, might inspire you.

It may be out of print, but there are plenty of copies floating around.

Terri

Thanks for the input. I know homeschoolers get into good schools, like West Point, Naval Academy,etc. I just don't know any personally who have, but do know private/public school kids who have.

I'm just trying to make as informed a decision as possible before starting high school.

You should join the email loop hs2coll on yahoogroups. That will dispell any worries you have about hsers being able to get into top universities.

The only school I know of in Texas that is difficult for hsers to get into is University of Texas - Austin. The reason is that state schools in Texas are required to accept every student in the top 8% of a Texas high school class (hsers are considered unranked). UT-Austin is the most popular destination for these students. The rule used to be that all the state schools would admit all Texas high school graduates in the top 10%, but under that rule UT didn't have any choice left for admissions.

Even so, there are hsers admitted there every year. I know at least one hser who got admitted for next year because it was posted on hs2coll.

You should join the email loop hs2coll on yahoogroups. That will dispell any worries you have about hsers being able to get into top universities.

:iagree:

My ds starts 9th grade next year as well. I think if I had a an outstanding public school nearby (I don't) AND he was willing to go (he's not), I'd definitely send him. I'm great in math and very average in everything else. With the exception of math, I have no desire to go through the high school subjects. If my ds was self-motivated (he's not), I wouldn't worry so about continuing hs'ing.

I plan to make heavy use of online classes and community college classes (here they can start in 10th grade and it's free). I would love for ds to go to a top university (I did), but I'm not convinced that he has the motivation to do so. The goal is to find what works for him.

I think the advantage to hs'ing in high school is the flexibility to allow your student to follow their unique path. Jane in NC's ds went on an archeological dig. At least 1, maybe 2, of Nan in Mass's ds's went peace walking. These kind of activities will set these students apart in a way few brick and mortar schooled students could hope to be set apart.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

Sounds like you have a lot to think about already but here is my 2 cents.

Yes, it is a lot of work for a homeschool mom to pull off AP tests, advanced classes, and admission into top schools. If that is your daughter's goal, she might be better off in school.

We've found an alternative that is very doable for me, though, while being challenging for my kids: Community college classes. As a homeschooler you are generally able to take more of them because your schedule is more flexible. They are challenging for high schoolers, your kids are getting real college experience, and the burden of teaching and planning is on someone else.

Not to mention they can really boost your transcript, or even allow you to start college as a sophomore or junior.

So that's how I've kept homeschool high school from killing me while having many challenges and benefits for my students. My oldest, a junior, will have 28 college units at the end of this semester (30 is a full year). He really enjoys the challenge and structure. He's becoming more independent and in charge of his work. And he's avoiding the whole rat race of APs and comparing to your classmates that happens in high school.

You didn't mention what your husband thinks about it...is he pro? con? mixed feelings? It is so important that he is supportive if you do it...

It seems like a lot of us do home ed in highschool for certain reasons = morality issues in the local schools, bad local schools, no choice for some other reasons, desire for all the good things that home ed high can bring about in the family and for the student who becomes self-motivated, gifted parents who can pass on what they know to their children, or other important reasons...and these drive us and give us energy to deal with all the unknowns...

And probably most of us have our doubts for one reason or another at certain times (of month, or of year) but then feel that we're on track the rest of the time...

I think it would be very hard if you are having serious doubts all the time...doublemindedness is a huge drain on energy, creativity and everyone around us....like a poster above asked...what makes you want to do it? how does your daughter feel about it?/think about it?

You can see on the college board (the subboard of this one right above) list of acceptances.

Now it would be interesting to do a poll of which of these parents are specially talented themselves and which are hardworking and dedicated. I would fall into the second category and so far do not have any child accepted yet (who was homeschooled through high school) - so I can't even speak from personal experience about it.

Here you can see Kathy in Richmond's studies for her children to get into MIT. This is heavyweight studying and can be done at home. It is more than is done in many schools. But it certainly takes foresight to be getting your daughter working at that advanced level early on...AND as she notes at the beginning, that is not the only way to get there, but it seems important to look at what can be done at home as well.

Since your daughter has taken the SAT at that age, then maybe she would qualify for advanced classes in the local high school, just doing Calculus for example...

It is possible to mix and match in some districts...do what you do best at home and outsource the other parts...

What brought your daughter home to begin with? or was she always at home? What got her to the 5% level in 7th grade?

Joan

I don't nec have great words of wisdom. I'm in your shoes right now.

I have one going into HS next year and I know it's going to be a ton of work. I have a good work ethic but the gal does not, unfortunately. As you prob know, the mom's do more work than the kids do if the truth be told.

She's brighter than I am and I wonder if I can do the job, work ethic or no.

Plus, I've been doing this since she was 4. I'm tired, folks. I'm also sick (Psoriatic arthritis last 2 years in both shoulders and hips and spreading.)

So yeah, I've seriously considered HS in a brick and mortar. The discipline would be good for her since she doesn't have it despite my best efforts. She also needs to know how to handle other kids' attitudes, which she doesn't do well with.

But...

Hubby is dead-set against it unless it's a nice Christian High School which we can't afford. But I honestly don't think he could do what I've been doing for the last 9 years. (It's always a snap if you aren't the one responsible for everything, right?)

So mom keeps plugging along. I keep telling myself that I'll be glad I did in the end. I hope that it's true.

I marvel over all the moms who homeschool several children at one time, esp in HS.

Kim

(Being real with you folks.)

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and insight. I need to explore those links and simply get more info.

To answer some questions: my husband is very busy all the time/leaves school up to me (and will be out of the country for the first half of the next school year).

I started homeschooling her in 2nd grade because she was bored in the Christian school.

She has always been a voracious reader, and a good writer, but I don't consider her to be MIT material at all. She scored in the 5% of 7th graders (not all students who took the SAT) - it was through Duke talent search. Honestly, I have no idea how she did that, other than through her reading habit.

She is a pretty social girl, and since our recent move all her close friends are homeschooled, which makes her want to continue. Back in TX all of her close homeschool friends were going to school, so she wanted to go to school! She kind of has a need to belong somewhere.

To be clear, I have always loved homeschooling my kids. It has been so good for our family, particulary since my husband has spent many hours away. I know I could make it work, but as I said, I don't want to short change her opportunities, because of my own short comings.

Sorry to blather on. I really do appreciate all of your input, and I will be following those links.

Sorry to blather on. I really do appreciate all of your input, and I will be following those links.
I don't think you're blathering. You're trying to figure out what's best, and here is a great place to do that! I wish the best to you and your dd! :D