Menu

Please Help! Latin or Spanish?

Pam B

Can someone please help me out here. Would you recommend Latin or Spanish for their first foreign language?

DD13 has taken 1 year of Latin, using Latin's Not So Tough 3 & 4.

Both DS10 and DS 11 have not taken any foreign language at all.

Would you recommend one or the other, and possibly give me a preference to what curriculum to use?

DD13 is doing Latin's Not So Tough 3 & 4, via Classical Conversations.

Thanks so much!

We're doing Latin 1st. My reasoning is because many words from the English language are derived from Latin, so it can help with their English. Yet, Latin is a language that is written with conjugated verbs much like French or Spanish. This makes learning other languages much easier in the end. So Latin has more advantages to start with. We're about to start grade 4 and will learn Latin until Grade 8, then introduce another foreign language of his choosing.

HTH! :)

I'm in the Latin first, modern later camp, esp because we don't have a way to afford a French native speaking tutor.

Hopefully, dd will be able to complete Latin 4 by the time she's a Jr in high school, and then go on to do 4 years of French. I plan to have her take French via community college in high school so she can do 4 years in 2 years (since each cc semester counts as 1 yr of high school language).

I was just struggling with this decision the last few days. After emailing dh to get his thoughts (he's on deployment) we decided to go with Latin. Our reasoning has been similar to what many have said. Latin being a basis for many of our English words, and it helping with the learning of modern languages later on. Another thing is that we've heard, although haven't done enough research to confirm, that some colleges aren't accepting Latin as a Foreign Language credit. We'll definitely be doing more research on that, but for now we feel Latin will lay a good foundation for learning many other languages in the future. I'm not sure what my kids will want to learn later. They are only 10.5, 8, and 4.5 so far they've asked about learning Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese and Klingon. I know Klingon is a bit weird and of course would only be a hobby, but what do you expect when their Dad is a Trekkie. LOL

If you are going for spoken fluency, I'd go with Spanish. If you just want exposure, start with Latin, as it will make learning to read Spanish easier later. FWIW, I took Latin in high school, and it did make it easier for me to read and understand Spanish. I can't speak it, other than a few selected touristy phrases, though.

I think young kids should start with a modern language, because there are more resources available to engage young students than there are for Latin. We started Spanish when my dd was in 1st grade and will be adding Latin in 3rd or 4th grade. We will be using Latin for Children. I have already purchased LfC A and I am very pleased with it.

However, at the ages your kids are, I'd go with Latin. It will be helpful to them when they take a high-school level modern language. They are good ages for using LfC.

Tara

If, for instance, I had someone who ended up living by us... or a foreign exchange student who was living with us... I would take whatever language they spoke. Otherwise Latin first.... I am wanting my daughter to learn Spanish... but from someone with a good accent... for not too much $$$.... :) Hopefully after 6 years of latin... she'll have a head start on learning Spanish... or perhaps French.

:)

I firmly believe that it should be the other way round - a modern language first, then adding classics at some point (middle school period would be perfect in my opinion). Regarding Latin specifically, I actually think the biggest advantage in mastering it would be preknowledge and a parallel study of a Romance language.

With older kids the same, I would always pick a modern language before a classical one, and then waited for half a year to a year to add the other language desired. So I'd start them on Spanish, and then added Latin (possibly even at different points for different children) and continued both.

Hmm... Well, I have spent the last few hours looking into Latin. I think we will probably go with Latin for Children, as well as Word Roots beginning. The Word Roots Beginning looks really interesting. They do have the software, and I found it for $25, (vs $65 from Critical Thinking Co.), anyhow, I would try the software, but I'm not sure if the boys would whiz through it or what. Has anyone had experience with that program?

I'm so excitted! Now I *almost* have their books picked out for next year! :D

I'll post it after I finish, see what you all think! ;)

Oh! Is it a must to have the LfC reader?

My .02 is to start with the language you feel comfortable with. I'm teaching Latin because I had Latin. I figure if I'm going to pay money for a tutor, a class, something online, a computer program, etc.... they could at least be getting high school credit for it - they'll have to have a foreign language credit in high school anyway, right?