Menu

St. Patrick's Day

Ew. I'm happy to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but does it have to involve food coloring? We'll have corned beef and cabbage for dinner. We'll read Tomie dePaola's picture book on St Patrick (it's perfect for little ones -- mine are older now, but it's tradition) and perhaps some more scholarly articles on line.

Perhaps your little ones would like to make soda bread as well?

We made cake balls-chocolate fudge cake and mixed in chopped up Ande's Mint candy, covered in light chocolate. Then decorated with a green chocolate swirl and shamrock sprinkles. They taste divine! We're doing a corned beef dinner too. We'll do a leprechaun box and have some fun with a bottle of green food color. St. Patrick's day is a fun day at our house!

I've got a clover leaf tablecloth and green placemats that I made. But, I'm not into food colorings. So, the best I can do is we will be having green beans at lunch and broccoli at dinner. I do have a nice recipe for Irish Soda Bread and have been wanting to take it for spin.

I am planning on a Celtic Exploration day. I have a nice book on Celtic stories; plus we'll read the story of St. Patrick. We'll also read the Hymn of St. Patrick and knowing my goof-ball husband, he'll try really hard to crack us up at the meals trying his best at a lame Irish accent. I have a celtic cross "stained glass" type art project for them and we'll discuss some druidic traditions.

Chances are my mom will stop by with butter cookies from the local bakery that are full of hydrogenated oil and decorated in green. She just doesn't read food labels and yet knows I don't allow this stuff. But, I'll let the kids each eat one because its not like they get that much of it. When she's gone, we'll toss the rest.

I guess I could make a key-lime pie although when its all mixed, it is definitely not significantly green.

If mexican were on the menu, guacamole would be great.

That's about all I have planned. We may not do any math that day so has to accomodate the other stuff and instead of their regular English lesson, we'll do, "make up your own celtic tale". One page for the 4th grader, 1.5 pages for the 6th grader, and 2 pages for the 7th grader. They like to make up stories and I get a writing assignment out of it with out too much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Faith