Menu

Do you cook foods you don't like?

I cook some things they like and I don't. The main thing both dh and I hate (as do all the children) is mayonaisse so I never have to cook with that. But I do make lima beans or butter beans though I don't like them. I make the kids mac n cheese or cheese and noodles and I won't eat that either. I also will make some desserts I don't eat like pudding and a pastry that I can't remember the name for right now.

Yes, I do, if dh likes them. I don't see why you couldn't make the recipe he likes sometimes :confused:--it seems like a kind thing to do.

:iagree: I might not exclusively make chili the way dh prefers it, but I wouldn't exclusively make it the way I prefer it, either. Just because I do the cooking doesn't mean dh isn't entitled to have some meals that he chooses.

My husband likes my chili. He doesn't love it, as I prefer it to be meatless, and the meat makes the meal for him. :glare: But when I make it I love to add a variety of types of beans, and lots of great spices. Thus why it is called Bean Chili.

He grew up on a very different chili: ground beef and a can of kidney beans. He likes it. I don't.

This morning he asked me why I never make his mom's recipe for chili. "Umm, well, because I like mine better." :001_huh: I told him he can go to his mom's and eat hers. And when she is no longer here, I might consider making it for him once or twice.

So do you make recipes that you don't like?

Generally speaking I have the same issues wth my dh and he doesnt stop trying, but he has become less rude about it:) I have told him I will not compromise my health for his tastebuds. He has learned to like, and at least tolerate, a lot of my healthy options, and even ask for them sometimes. I have learned to compromise for him here and there, and when I am feeling particularly generous, I will make him one of his favorites, even if I won't eat it. In your case, I might make the base chilli, then separate it into two saucepans and add meat to one...but only sometimes.

Here, the main issue has been the sense of obligation dh has put on me about serving him food he likes. But, since he is vegetarian and we arent, and since he doesn't like vegetables and can't eat any legumes, and we do and can, and since he doesnt work full time and has plenty of time to cook what he likes for himself.....I just make what I want to because he is unreasonable to put that onto me in the year 2010 when women have lives too. :) He is fine... but he doenst stop trying to get me to make cauliflower cheese with triple cheese and vegetarian lasagna with CUSTARD instead of white sauce. Hes bad- he adds SUGAR to my food. So, I compromise and make him thing he specially likes only when I am feeling most generous :)

I loathe spaghetti. When were first married, I would make it for dh and grin and bear it since he loved it. Then I got pregnant and tried to eat it one time when I was nauseous. I didn't allow spaghetti in the house for about 3 years. I'm now to the point where I can make it for dh and make myself a creamy sauce that I like and everybody's happy.

If I make his favorite soup that I despise, I'll usually just microwave myself an Amy's frozen dinner. So yeah I make stuff I don't like, but I don't eat it anymore!

cauliflower cheese with triple cheese and vegetarian lasagna with CUSTARD instead of white sauce.

Hey Peela,

If you come back to this thread... I'm curious what Cauliflower cheese...with triple cheese is... (Is that just cheese sauce made with 3 cheeses?) Yum!

Also, custard would be referring to an actual custard.. like custard pie?? And.. it sounds like sweet.... since he likes sugar??

:-)

Hey Peela,

If you come back to this thread... I'm curious what Cauliflower cheese...with triple cheese is... (Is that just cheese sauce made with 3 cheeses?) Yum!

Also, custard would be referring to an actual custard.. like custard pie?? And.. it sounds like sweet.... since he likes sugar??

:-)

Lol. It just means cauli cheese with an especially cheesy sauce plus heaps of grated cheese on top as well. Although 3 different cheese could work too- he would like that :) And yes, the custard refers to actual custard, instead of the white sauce. Yes, he likes sugar A LOT. :)