Menu

Summer math??

What would you recommend for a summer math program? My daughter is in 2nd grade and will have finished singapore 2A & 2B and Abeka 2(abeka was too easy for her. We will be switching to singapore and horizons next year.) I do have math games already but I still want workbook type math for 2-3 days a week during the summer so she stays in practice. She is one that if she doesnt do it for awhile she does forget. I have found that out from taking our few weeks off for a break. Im looking for something with lots of mental math practice because she is struggling with singapores mental math:banghead:. I do have worksheets from the singapore TE but you can only do the same ones so much.

Any advice would be great! Thanks

I would say Math Mammoth. If you get the Blue Series of books you can work on whatever skills you'd like to pull from. There's a sale going on right now through HSBC, so the price is pretty great.

That said, I also agree with the PP... why not just pick up with the next level in the program you're using?

I had thought about just starting with 3rd. I might do that Im just throwing ideas around right now. She is excited to start 3rd grade horizons. We do have all of her next years math.... I am going to look into mammoth also, maybe that with her 3rd grade? I really want to get her doing well with the mental math before going onto 3rd though....

Personally, I'd just keep going with it and not stop over the summer. But, you could do MEP if you want to wait till fall to start everything else. My DD is actually doing Horizons, Singapore, and MEP, but that's just because she's a math fanatic and kept begging for "more math! more math!" LOL!

If you want a break from teaching and just want to review, I'd suggest buying Singapore Math's Intenstive Practice books. My kids always love them. The problems are presenting in a wide variety of ways and are a fun reinforcement of SM concepts.

I had thought about just starting with 3rd. I might do that Im just throwing ideas around right now. She is excited to start 3rd grade horizons. We do have all of her next years math.... I am going to look into mammoth also, maybe that with her 3rd grade? I really want to get her doing well with the mental math before going onto 3rd though....

Horizons 3 starts with a LOT of review from Horizons 2 ... I thought the last 30 or so lessons of Horizons 2 were pretty intense, and the first 30 or so lessons of Horizons 3 were pretty light. I would do Horizons 3 in the summer, maybe 3 days a week. By the time fall rolls around, it will start getting deeper.

We will be finishing up CLE 3 in June and then switch back to Horizons 3 during the summer, then swtich back to CLE 4 in the fall.