Menu

Combining kids for subjects

I have 2 dds ages 6 & 4. As my younger is getting ready to start hs, I'm wondering if it is better/easier to combine the girls for History & Science (basically following WTM) or would it be just as easy and more age appropriate to keep them separate? Has anyone been in a similar situation? What have you done and how did it work? TIA!

Kara

I combine all three boys (9, 7, 5) for History, Science, Art, Music, Japanese.

In History and Science I do expect age-appropriate work from them. For example, for science, the young K'er listens to the reading and may draw or cut out a picture for his notebook; first grader will listen, draw a picture and copy two sentences; third-grader will listen, draw, and write a paragraph.

It's actually a lot of fun learning together.

Cat

Mine are combined for all read alouds, history etc

We have independent time each day, and "together time" and have done it this way from the beginning.

I know others for whom it didnt work so well to combine because the younger was more advanced than the elder, and it caused bad feelings- so they are deliberately kept separate for everything, which seems a bit sad but I can understand the reasoning. But for us, its been wonderful to do some subjects together.