Menu

Bombing the test

I am frustrated to the point of tears!!! My dc engage in good dialogue when it comes to History. They read their text, watch videos, we use living books...everything seems to be great until they take a review test and they get an "F"! WHY?! I have them take notes on what they are reading, we discuss the material together in great depth, so what is going on? Anyone have kids who do this? We are using All American History which is a bit wordy yet presents the material well, I think. We are over halfway through the book so I do not want to stop and switch yet the thought of going through this 16 more times at the end of each chapter is not good.

Part of me wants to just let it go. They get the basic idea, they remember the main points of, say, the Gilded Age. Should I really care that they didn't get a good grade on a test?

Ask particular questions during discussion, even if they seem too rudimentary?

Before moving on to a new section/discuss the previous.

Perhaps when asking a question during discussion/review, have everyone write the answer silently, and compare answers orally, so you know who is actually paying attention.

Just my 2 cents. With the older kids, hormones? I'm really struggling with my 13 year old.

Who is writing the test? Did you go over the EXACT material on the test and say "This is on the test."? If no, then you should for a while.

OR: Instead of exact questions, try to ask open ended, Charlotte Mason type questions.

Tell me what you know about ______.

What do you remember about_______?

Compare these 2 people.

What do you think would have happened if_______.

Instead of finding out what they don't know, ask them to tell you what they do know.

OR: Prompt them well in advance.: I want you to remember these dates, who these people were, what these events are etc. Write them on the white board and then review them daily. Have them copy it into their notebooks or make lap books with the info...THEN give the test.

HTH,

Faithe

Should I really care that they didn't get a good grade on a test?

To me, that would depend on the test. Are the tests good or are they the kind to pick out trivial details? (This is my guess from what you described of their understanding...)

Can you skip the tests in lieu of a project or a paper? Have them do the tests open-book from time to time, and/or add some of your own essay questions?

Just curious, but why are you testing? I know this is a philosphical choice, but seeing the number of children you have - testing just seems like one more box to check off. If you are content that they understand the material, I would relish the discussion and drop the test.

Another approach would be to let them take the tests with an open book for the next few chapters so they can see how the questions originate from and relate to the material they've read.

In order that we love history, we don't test. My experience with my kids is that test taking skills can be quite different from other skills- some kids take tests well, others dont.

I agree with Faithe's thoughts on more Chalotte Mason, open ended testing questions that show what the kids know, rather than test for what they don't know with arbitrary, detailed questions. If you go to the Ambleside website they have some sample exam questions to give you some ideas but Faithe has done that too. also like the sort of questions thatConnect The Thoughts ask- which are more along the lines of relating the knowledge to modern circumstances or formign opinions about aspects about it.

I think all curricula should be tweaked for your own situation. Curricula writers have agendas...doing the curricula as written doesnt guarantee your kids will miraculously know all the work, or enjoy it, or anything like that.

Thank you all for the suggestions/insights. I've calmed down a bit so I can think clearly about this.

I have had them take open-book tests if I thought the test was too nit-picky about dates/names. I've highlighted exact details that would be covered on tests, written them on the board, given them lists, etc.

Just curious, but why are you testing? I know this is a philosphical choice, but seeing the number of children you have - testing just seems like one more box to check off.
I'm a box-checker. ;) I like tests because it shows me retention of information beyond the day it is presented.

My 13yo typically tests well so it is obvious she did not put the time or effort into studying today. My 11yo usually gets a "B" so not sure what happened with her. My 12yos...good grief. He is so lazy and apathetic when it comes to schoolwork. :glare:

I'm going to have them reread the chapter and we will discuss the highlights. Then they will take another review written by myself using CM-style questions.